Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-26-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Need Experience

ok

here's what's going on.

I want to crew on any sailboat for a duration of at least a month I would prefer even longer. I live in San Diego CA. so if this boat was on the west coast that would be ideal. The problem is that I don't have any experience at all. I am athletic I am 23 years old. I was a guide at an Outward Bound school in Costa Rica. I do have a lot of guiding certs. I know water fairly well I am a sea kayaking guide in La Jolla San Diego. I just want to start sailing really bad. Can anyone help me figure out how to get on a boat, so I can learn how to sail. Someday I would like to be a Charter boat captain. I know this is a hard road. At least the starting is. Thank you and any info is much appreciated.

Ryan

Old 11-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
Commander

It's very easy to get started. If you want to crew locally then ask at a yacht club or hang flyers at the local marina's also. That will get you out on the water.

If you want to crew on a cruise then you are probably going to have to do some travelling to meet your boat and then to return home. A month is good but pick a boat where you aren't just doing a long passage. Most skippers will train you, having a lack of experience is often a plus to some. Crew available/wanted forums like this are where you need to post your resume, giving information about what you want to do, where you want to go and dates available. I recommend you search for crew available postings and submit your name everywhere. Keep a notebook of where you post for crew available then go back and update those posts to keep them current.

Good luck.

No breadfruit can be reached when the picking stick is too short.
Spike_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
Admiral

Go to the local West Marine, BoatUS to get Latitude 38, or get it on line. http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicL...tronicLat.html

It's free, and it's the sailing mag for the West Coast.

San Diego is a good place to find people looking for a crew member. Any yacht club that runs races will be a good place to get onto a boat. The bonus is you learn about racing, a very good way to learn to read the wind and a lot about sail handling, and the limits of a boat's capabilities. Work at it for a year and you will have most of the boats heading for Baja in there next October/November for the Baja Ha Ha where you should be able to pick up a spot.

Good luck.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote