Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Ensign

hi folks,

just after some advice, was considering buying a new radar system, any recommendations would be very welcome

thanks alol

Old 06-13-2011, 03:16 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDavi View Post

hi folks,

just after some advice, was considering buying a new radar system, any recommendations would be very welcome

thanks alol
G'day cobber. Radar is money well spent however the cost effectiveness is usually compromised by purchasing a unit that is to small (very little power). These 'small end' units have several short commings & don't give you the protection to safe guard your survival in adverse conditions. IMHO The 'small end' radar - wont see through fog, wont see through moderate rain let alone heavy down-pours & has a very short restricted range. A bigger unit - 24 or 72 miles will do all those items & more. You need to add AIS interactive if you are in a busy shipping enviroment. IMHO I sure that I'll be putting one on my boat before it goes back in the water. A radar at the top-end of cost /value/efficiency c/w AIS interface is surely something to look at. I'll have to save a lot & work extra over-time to be able to afford the right radar which is NOT cheap, but a good investment in staying alive. IMHO Good luck with your search & great sailing, ciao, james

Old 06-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Ensign

We recently went with the Standard Horizon/Sitex route after much deliberation (with the MDS-8 dome). Part of my decision was made by the fact that the Standard Horizon plotter had good base cartography. It is my first Radar unit and I have not actually used it in the fog, so I have no idea how it would compare to the Raymarine, Lowrance, or Garmin units. The Garmin plotter I had (and still have as a backup), will occasionally lose communication with the depth transducer (usually when I am trying to come into a shallow anchorage). I thought this would be a good chance to try another make. The SH unit also has better resolution on it's display than many even though the screen is itself smaller and easier to mount om my binnacle. I have no idea on the durability or really any of it's details compared with it's competition, but so far I like it. Keep in mind that the power requirements of the unit go up with it's power (thus my decision to stay with the MDS-8 over the MDS-9. 2kw vs. 4kw with close beam width. I don't know if this was the right call or not, but the trade off seamed worth it to me).