Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-26-2006, 03:13 AM   #1
Ensign

Default new to sailing, have some questions.

hi there new to the boards have some questions

well im working on getting my 100 ton master and i want to start working as a captain on a chartered yacht. as soon as i have enough money i plan on putting a down payment on a 100 ft luxury yacht. once it is built i would like to charter it through a charter managment company. this will be my home and i will be on it all the time, do you think the charter company will allow me to be the captain aslong as i have all the necessary licencing ect?

also:

1)how much demand is their for chartered yachts?

2)will i beable to support the cost of the boat/insurance?

3)how hard will it be to find a company in need of a 100ft yacht to charter?

4)is this a smart investment or am i going to end up bankrupt once everything is said and done?

5)does anyone here chrter their boat or know anyone who does i would like to hear what they thought of the experience

6)how much money can you make anually by chartering a 100ft luxury yacht?

any input would me much appretiated, reliable info on this subject is scarce and i need to find answers to these questions before i move forward

thanks alot

-Phil

Old 01-26-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
Admiral

I can't answer any of those questions, and I'm not sure what person frequenting this, or other cruising boards, would have the information you are seeking.

I would suggest that you visit the big boat shows, where luxury yachts of this size are promoted. the Ft. Lauderdale boat show, the Miami Boat show, ???

I've seen these luxury yachts, and I've always wondered what the upkeep must be on top of the carrying charges for the purchase of a multi-million dollar yacht - professional crew, berthing, maintenance, booking. I've met a few professional skippers of luxury yachts, been on smaller ones than you're considering, and the skipper and crew attended a mariner's school (I don't know at this time its name or location).

It seems to me that it would be necessary to have worked in that venue as skipper for somebody else to gain the experience you would need to run your own business. Or, do you have that experience already?

Interesting question you've posed to this board.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
Ensign

ya this is real hard info to come by, that is a good idea to go by a boat show though, i will definatly do that, as for upkeep on the boat thats why i want to charter it becaue they will pay for all or most of any repairs or upkeep involved wiht owning the boat.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Ever ownder Why large corporates do not operate charter fleets of big yachts? If such chartering actually made money - you can be sure they would.

The reality is most large yachts are offered for charter to help offset the running costs of the boat for its true owner - and indeed by running via a 'charter' company - he possibly also gets tax breaks.

I've a pal who skippers a 90 footer well known race boat / cruiser and he has a great life charging around the globe. When his yacht is offered for 'charter' it is priced at $20,000 per week - but practically in 3 years he's only had one set of charter guests (apart from owner) and even then, he believed they were somehow connected to the owner.

But these are only my opinions as I've never owned a charter yacht - but my gut feeling says if you want to do it to make money, then dream on...........

JOHN
Old 01-27-2006, 04:23 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

[quote]Originally posted by Swagman

Ever wonder why the large corporates do not operate charter fleets with big yachts? I believe you'll find it is because they don't actually make money doing so.

In my experience most large yachts are offered for charter to help offset the running costs of the boat for its real owner. Indeed, running a boat under a 'charter' company can create tax breaks.

But I've an acquaintance who skippers a 90 footer well known race boat / cruiser. He has a great life charging around the globe driving this other guys boat. When the yacht is offered for 'charter' it is priced at $20,000 per week - but in 3 years - he's only had one set of charter guests (apart from owner) and even then, he believed those guests were somehow business related.

I'm really not sure how serious you are about your plans, but if you need to make money out of chartering to complete them - suggest it might not be the right path to take.

Good Luck

JOHN