Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-24-2008, 04:27 AM   #1
Ensign

I am coming over to the US at the end of the year to buy a boat, The prices around New York seem to be a good place to start.

If I was to buy there has anyone any info on sailing from new York to the UK my ultimate destination would be the Med but this I would mean I would be able to go to Places like Holland Germany and maybe some of the canals

Old 08-24-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
Admiral

Assuming that a boat was purchased, what would be the month in which the boat would leave NY for the UK ?

Old 08-25-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
Admiral

Just a thought. Have you taken into account the European Small Craft Directive, assuming you will be flying the flag of an EU member state?

If you import a boat into Europe then it must comply with the directive and you will need to have it tested (if the manufacturer has not received approval). Also, there is the issue of VAT. This tax is payable once only and it does not matter where you live or where the boat will be registered (if in the EU). However, the percentage varies from mamber state to member state. Check it out to be sure but I believe, if you are liable for VAT on the boat, then your best bet would be to sail to the Azores (Portugal) and pay VAT there and not gop directly to the UK. I think, but again am not sure, that the VAT rate in Portugal is only 14% whereas in the UK I believe it to be 22%. Going via Portugal could save you a lot of cash!

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Ensign

If someone has information about how to get non CE approved boat from US and get it CE approved, I’ll be interested.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Admiral

Hi,

Have a look at this site- it might throw some light on the subject.

(it does show which boats are exempted)

WEBSITE
Old 08-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Admiral

Look also at this SITE

Lists of CE approved boats, engines and other gear. Also some info about fakes.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Rear Admiral

Think you'll find current lowest VAT rate of an EU member might be Malta.........worth checking as it will change.

I do have pals who purchase a boat ex Sweden with no VAT, took a boat to the UK but had it registered before in Malta, to which they subsequently sailed to pay their VAT bill. Believe they had 18 months use in the wider EU before they needed to do that - but this is a complex tax area and suggest it is worth taking professional tax advice closer to when you plan to do this.

Oh - the UK VAT rate is 17.5%.

Good luck

JOHN

Tags
new york