Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
Ensign

Hello All-

I Haven't been sailing in years (almost 15 years). I've never owned a boat - always used the father-in-law's boat.

After many years of pestering, I convinced my better half to cave in an let me get a boat. I'm dumb enough to just jump right in, but since it has been so long, I'm smart enough to consider myself a 100% novice.

After loads of reading, late night internet searching, lurking on this Board and much soul searching as to what I want AND need in a boat (and considering my skill level as well) I've found a nice 1987 Pearson 27, good conditon (a few very minor fixes). Of course I'll have it surveyed.

From what I can tell the Pearson 27 is: 1) large enough to not get boat envy real soon in ownership and try to trade up before my skill level rises appropriately; 2) small enough to be great for a beginner; 3) forgiving enough for the foolish things I will no doubt do; and 4) cheap enough so not to bankrupt me and thereby killing my sailing dreams.

My questions: Does anyone have any thoughts on this boat's appropriateness for what I'm about to do? Am I shooting for too big of a boat this early in the game? Any in-site on common maintenance issues with this particular model?

No matter what Boat I get, I shall call her "West Wind"

Thanks and I'm excited to finally join you rather than lurk and dream.

Steve West

"West Wind"

Chicago

"WestWind"

Chicago
SteveWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:33 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Hey Steve! Welcome aboard....glad you decided to come out of the shadows.

You will get many responses as people log-in and I'm sure many different opinions and views. The most important thing is that you've decided to get your feet wet and start sailing again.

Are you looking to do some racing or just weekend day sailing?

Old 07-24-2007, 02:26 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for the welcome.

For now I just plan to learn and day sail - racing is aways off. Chicago's lakefront can get very crowded on weekends, so I'm very fortunate that I am self-employed and can take time easily during the week for what I feel like doing. I'm sure I'll suddenly have no lack of friends who I can put to work as crew. Probalby just sail on the weekdays and use the weekends to stay in the harbor, clean, maintenance and getting to know those docked around me. Maybe an occasional early Saturday or Sunday morning sail before the weekenders fill the water and make it dangerous.

Steve

"WestWind"

Chicago
Old 07-24-2007, 02:32 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

Welcome Steve!

I'm certainly no expert, but...

In my opinion...

Pearson has a great reputation for seaworthyness, performance and value. Barring any severe structural damage, osmosis or crappy repairs... you cannot go wrong and you'll easily get all of your investment back should you ever decide to trade up to a bigger boat.

We have several friends here in the Caribbean who live aboard Tritons and they actively sail in a wide variety of races & regattas... and occasionally win prizes!

Go for it!

You (and your better half) will be glad you did.

Live to Love - Love to Live,

Kirk
Old 07-24-2007, 04:10 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallivanters View Post
Welcome Steve!

Pearson has a great reputation for seaworthyness, performance and value. Barring any severe structural damage, osmosis or crappy repairs... you cannot go wrong and you'll easily get all of your investment back should you ever decide to trade up to a bigger boat.

Kirk

Hi there and welcome to this friendly forum.

I concur absolutely with Kirk. The Pearson is a great boat with a god reputation. You will not go wrong with one provided she is in good condition.

Here is my favourite link concerning the class http://www.triton381.com/

Aye

Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:12 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Sounds like a smart move to me.

From my own (limited) experience and what I've read, you learn faster on a boat this size than a bigger boat (say 40' +)altho 27' is not tiny. Cheaper to run and maintain. You won't need a cast of thousands to sail it.

Go for it! Happy sailing.

duckie
Old 07-24-2007, 06:18 AM   #7
Lieutenant

IF you can afford it, sure. The problem that some people get into is the money that is needed to keep a boat. Just make sure that know the full cost when you get into it.

A boat is like a second home or travel trailer. It is great when used and a waste when not. After review the full cost and if your budget is streached than you might want to look a something smaller.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:54 AM   #8
Lieutenant

Hey Steve. You dp not work for Morgan do you?

I knew a sales agent in Chicago that worked for Morgan that loved sailing. Not sure it is you.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
Lieutenant

Hi

Don't you have some yachtclub in Chicago where you could rent a boat or sail with someone? You could refresh your skills and check what size of the boat suits you before you spend money.

Piotrek
Old 07-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #10

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrek View Post
Hi

Don't you have some yachtclub in Chicago where you could rent a boat or sail with someone? You could refresh your skills and check what size of the boat suits you before you spend money.

Piotrek
I agree with this statement. Join a club or rent for a bit.

And about small is good for learning--while I had great experiences learning to sail on a Triton in 1982/1983 time frame, I learned much MORE about sailing shortly thereafter when my husband and I built an ACA lateen rig for our 16' canoe! The smaller the better when it comes to really learning something. Yes, a 20-some ft boat is better than a 40 ft boat to learn in, but a small car-topper can really teach you quite a bit quickly. Dingy sailing is a lot of fun. We have a 12' Tinker as our tender--it has a sailing rig that is fun. If you get a car-topper, you'll be on the water, enjoying that wind and have very little in the way of "hassle factor" with a larger boat.

If you've decided that sitting on the dock watching the sunrise/set with a beer in hand is also part of the sailing-gig that you want...Or, if sailing overnighters without a tent are desired then, bigger is definitely better. If you have no desire to actually do overnighters but want a bigger boat for taking friends out on, then there are many wonderful day sailing boats that are made for speed. No real cabin, don't even pretend to be little cruisers, but lots of fun if you fancy the idea of racing.

Finally, the little 26' MacGreggers (spelling?) have a small cabin, they also have a planing hull and water ballast and I consider them to be a great starter boat (if you can find one used, because the new price is a little steep). You can just sail it from the dock or you can get out onto the sailing area you desire on the lake fast under power (20 knots w/50 hp), then fill up the water ballast and sail 'til you're happy. Get back home fast under power if needed and the whole thing is trailerable so you could take a trip up the lake shore and put in where you'd like if you've got a tow vehicle.

Looking forward to hearing what you do!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:12 AM   #11
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWest View Post
From what I can tell the Pearson 27 is: 1) large enough to not get boat envy real soon in ownership and try to trade up before my skill level rises appropriately; 2) small enough to be great for a beginner; 3) forgiving enough for the foolish things I will no doubt do; and 4) cheap enough so not to bankrupt me and thereby killing my sailing dreams.
Hey Steve,

The Pearson is a great boat for day sailing and the occasional weekend overnighter. Should be perfect for the whole educational experience for both you and (*clears throat*) the better half. (Always good for you both to be into the experience.)
dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #12
Ensign

Thanks for everyone who replied and sent good wishes.

I'll try and answer a few questions -

1) Nope, not from Morgan Stanley.

2) Not really new to sailing, it has just been a while since I've been out regularly. I don't count the odd once-in-a-while on friend's boat as "getting experience". So I guess I'm not really a "newbie" but really more of trying to clean off the rust.

3) I'm fighting for "West Wind" as the name, but I'm smart enough to pick my battles wisely. I got permission to buy a boat, so I may acquiesce on the name.

3) My how things have changed. The Pearson 27 turned out to be not such a good deal after seeing how much maintenance was needed to be done before putting her in the water. But on the Good News front, after a few test sails on boats and having shaken off much of the old rust, we've found a Pearson 32 (just coincidence - was not shopping for just Pearson boats). Fantastic handling boat, in great shape and negotiated for a fair bit below NADA value.

For those who expressed some concerns about experience level with a "first" boat being so large: I really appreciate the concern and I don't think I explained my self very well. Like I said above, I'm not "new" new just rusty. I know the ropes so to speak; it's the actual skippering that needs polish. Also, I've never been one to take formal classes in a setting that doesn't have much to do with my reality. Something to do with a dislike of authority figures. I have always intended to buy my boat and hire someone to school me on my boat. What a better place to learn than on what you'll be using. As each boat has its own character, I also structured the purchase so that the current owner is to take us out at least 2 times in the first week to familiarize us with this boats quirks and more if he wants to go out siling. It's good for both of us - I get the guidance of the guy who has owned her for the last 11 years and he gets to keep sailing on a boat he doesn't have to pay for anymore.

For those of you who still think I'm a bit ahead of myself, rest assured that I may be brash at jumping into things in life, but I know my limitations and when to ask for (or hire) help.

As Richard Bransons's new book tilte says "Screw It, Just Do It"

I've been waiting long enough so, "screw it".

"WestWind"

Chicago
Old 08-01-2007, 12:25 AM   #13
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Good on you Steve, welcome back to the land of the truly living.

Congratulations on the purchase of your 'new' boat. Please take a few pix and post them on the Cruiser Log Yacht Club within this forum.

Best wishes,

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote