Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-07-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
Ensign

Default no experience

Hi,

My wife and I would like to buy a boat and cruise around the world about 10 years later ( when we retire ) the thing is , we have no experience in sailing or boats, so I hope all you out there would help us on the way with the best advises about wich boat to buy and training....etc.

We live in Japan and I cant read Japanese, so I cant start to study here in Japan.

The boat we look for should be a " house" where we will live for many years....gas or diesel would be good, but where expensive I guess, we want to stay some places for months so we want to boat to be spacius and comfortable.

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

Johnnysan!

Sounds like a good plan, so don't let anyone talk you out of it.

You can definitely accomplish your goal.

Happy Hunting,

Kirk

Old 03-08-2006, 05:14 AM   #3
Commander

Since you've posted this in the sailing forum I assume you are interested in a sailing boat.

Going on this assumption, you can buy books on sailing basics in English, buy a cheap little sailboat, and teach yourself how to sail. The "point-A-to-point-B" requirements of sailing in fair weather are rather low, and if the wind is blowing onto the shore you launch from, you'll get back there one way or the other.

If there are english-speaking racers in the area, they're likely looking for crew. At the very least you can be intelligent ballast and get a feel for how big a boat you think you'll be able to handle, or be comfortable on.

For one person, 30-40' can be quite comfortable. For two people I'd say 35-40' would still be comfortable. This is relative, of course, as few boats will be anywhere near the comfort level of a land-based dwelling.

The boats with large open spaces that are so nice at anchor... are the last boats you'd want to make a passage in. There will be fewer places to brace yourself, fewer things to hold on to, and longer distances to fall. The exception to this rule is a multihull, and if you can find a good, comfortable blue-water catamaran in your price range, I'd recomend that over any monohull.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:11 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Dear 'wannabee-san',

I second the previous comments.

Between the dream and the deed lie the doldrums ... a good time to learn.

And Bloody Mary was completely right ... 'you gotta' have a dream'.

Good luck and if you're interested in contacting a Japanese cruising friend of mine who spends 6 months in Japan and 6 month here in SE Asia, let me know at skipper@yachtvalhalla.net

Terry
Old 03-18-2006, 02:36 AM   #5
Ensign

I too have zip sailing experience, but gas prices are driving me away from my 24' 225 V6. I am retiring at 64 this Jul 06 in Hilton Head, SC. I am looking to purchase a 30-34 Ft. sailboat, pre-owned, mono or cat, that I can manage (easy-to-sail if there is such a thing ). Seeking suggestions on type of craft, best way to purchase and lessions learned. many thanks in advance
Old 03-19-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

I know I mentioned it before in other posts but few people realise the opportunities to see if sailing really suits, if it does to learn a lot, and usually with a low financial risk - if they are happy to join the crew of a small racing yacht.

Most yacht clubs worldwide have fleets that race at least once a week. Racing is fun, and even the best skipper can't do it unless they have a crew.

If you hunt down some local yacht clubs and simply visit to let each know you may be inexperienced right now, but are willing to learn and commit to being there each week for at least one season - you'll almost certainly get a crew spot.

Age is rarely a barrier. An older skipper will usually prefer older crew, and your only costs could be a set of wet weather gear.

Supplement this plan with lots of reading, a few courses on sailing subjects, and before you know it you'll either be ready to consider buying your own yacht - or deciding sailing is not for you.

IMHO it's better doing it this way than buying a boat first - just in case you hate it!

Good luck - hope you love it - and happy sailing

JOHN
Old 03-19-2006, 09:50 PM   #7
Ensign

In addition to agreeing with whats been said - I only started sailing in my forties - have learnt an incredible amount since then, and am definitely cruisin....

Get aboard a small "teach yourself" as soon a s possible.

learn to race (even if its not your ideal) it teaches you real quick...

Get all the experience you can - take bad decisions now and learn by your mistakes whilst "under supervision" and with a support crew close by.

good luck... sea you on the ocean...