Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-09-2009, 04:14 AM   #21
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonneely View Post
to answer your question not much between the golden gat and Twister, whats you opinion on the size factor?

Jon
Hi Jon,

Had a look at the specs to get feel for space - if one takes the Golden Gate's LWL and multiplies it by the beam - the square footage comes to around 235 square ft - whereas the Twister's only comes to around 175 sq ft. That extra 60 square feet can make all the difference! Depending where it is located.

Of course the other factor is the average height between the saloon sole and the head lining, If it averaged 6ft throughout the boat - then the cubic footage result would indicate another significant difference between the 2 boats.

Despite the above figures, only a close inspection and measurement of easy to get at storage lockers, cupboards, drawers etc.., relative to the other open space, will provide the answers Shannon and you are looking for.

Did you take lots of pictures ??

Richard

Old 09-09-2009, 04:33 AM   #22
Ensign

that is a good point, I took tons of pictures, what would you like to know/see?

here are the ones from the golden gate, the twisters are still up loadinghttp://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x300/jonneelyfilms/goldwn%20gate%2030/

then the hughes

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x300/jo...ms/houghs%2038/

Jon

Old 09-09-2009, 04:51 AM   #23
Ensign

and for the twister

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x300/jo...8/Twister%2028/

Jon
Old 09-09-2009, 05:38 AM   #24
Admiral

Hard to gain a real feel from the Pictures (By the way they take for ever to down load)

True the Hughes 38 engine looked good, compared to the large RUSTED Pipe in the Golden Gates engine compartment.

The age of these boats must be an important decider - The Hughes is too old but is better fitted out, the Golden Gate's survey may show up some expensive problems.

The small boat - if one was comparing it with similar boats of the same era and size - then it would do well (for me, don't really like the engine compartment in the saloon) What are the winches and other sailing gear like on this boat ?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:48 AM   #25
Ensign

the twister has one of everything, main, genoa 130, and spinnaker, all in decent condition, good ground tackle, all new electronics, gps, chartplotter radar, rigging redone in 07 winches are 2 speeds, 6 of them all together.

Jon
Old 09-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #26
Admiral

Well you cannot add wheel steering to either the Hughes or the Twister > The specs don't mention Autopilot for Hughes - but an old Navico for the Twister.

Would you add 2 self-tailers and an electric windlass to the Twister? Also a Hard Dodger and Bimini to all 3?

Are you intending to go offshore cruising? Which would be the best boat to handle rough weather?

Finally remember Fred's comments about older boats - Out with the Hughes.

When it comes to selling a boat - 30ft will have more appeal than a 28ft.

So Jon, you set a tough assignment for those of us, who were not with you on your search.

Therefore my choice if forced to make one, would be the Golden Gate
Old 09-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #27
Ensign

thanks for the ideas, Im thinking the same thing with the hughes, I will keep you guys updated. I need to get the rest of my cash together because I will be offering full in cash, seeing that you have the most experience on this thread when it comes to buying, and your a mod o you see a lot of thing on the board itself, If i where to come at the broker with a cash offer, what should I be aiming at? Pm what you think if you could, that would be great. the owner has had it up for sale for the last year, he lives in canada so it is just a useless payment, and we are heading into winter.

Tell me what you think,

Jon
Old 09-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #28
Admiral

The broker works for the seller, but it wouldn't hurt to ask him what his feeling is about the offer you are considering making. Except for a very stubborn friend who waited 3 years to get an offer he would accept, most owners want to be done with the boat they've put up for sale. If he has had no offers to date he might want to hold out a bit longer than if he had already turned down an offer.

Your offer should be contingent upon a survey, and from stories I've heard in the past, you would be prudent to find your own surveyor, not one recommended by the broker. You'll need a survey if you plan to insure the hull anyway, and I think it's money well spent.

Good luck.

J

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #29
Ensign

""The broker works for the seller""

Do not forget that statement....

I've found that brokers will resist and advise against a low ball offer.

It cuts into their commision....

Always put an offer in contingent on a survey and final buyer examination. Gives you an out until the end...

Do as much research on the following items as you did to find the boat:

~ Find out what the same boat has sold for recently.

~ Find out how long the boat has been on the market. Get into "Boat Wizard"; if you can find a password.

~ Find an independant surveyor, not a broker recommended one, get referrals.

~ Contact insurance companies for quotes and surveyors

Start your offer low and allow the owner to counter your offer with a lower asking price.

It's a buyers market and it looks like that is not going to change for a while.

If you cannot come to terms, there are many many boats with and without 4 sale signs that are FOR SALE.....

fred

They may be more screwed up than you think.....
Fred R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #30
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to gslabbert5119

I am going through a similar situation and the broker works for the seller, and you have zero grounds to protect yourself. Get a buyers broker, in other words find someone to represent you and then the commission will have to be split between the brokers. This way you will be protected somewhat, do get a survey and sea trial, and make certain that the sale is contingent on the results of the survey and sea trial. Also add a personal inspection clause, this way you can walk away from the deal if you do not like the boat or something happens in your life that forces a change. You can bet the the sellers broker is protecting the seller in a similar manner.

Put your deposit into an escrow account that is not paid to the seller until all your terms have been met and while you have outstanding contingencies and dates you can pull out of your purchase for whatever reason.

Buying a boat is an exciting time but the process for me has been long and arduous.

https://BlueWaterCruising.com

https://photographybygavin.com

"Dwell on the could haves, we must not. Focus on the solution, we must...." -- Yoda --
gslabbert5119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #31
Admiral

Hi Jon,

Some good buying advice from Fred and Gavin (which we can add to "steps in buying a boat"

click HERE

Good Luck
Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #32
Ensign

I will leave it to others more knowledgeable about boat types to comment on your selection. My one comment is that 30 feet and below seems a bit small to carry all of what you need for a boat doing international cruising. Extra anchors, more chain, more rode,more fenders, a dingy, plus extra water jugs (to back up your single tank should it spring a leak) diesel jugs, etc, so if you budget can stand it, I would go a touch bigger just to have the storage and weight carrying capacity. The Westsail 32 is about the smallest boat in overall length I think that is really capable of carrying the requirements for an international cruising boat. I amnot recommending that type boat but just mention it to give you an idea of where my mind is taking me on this thought.

Fourty gallons of fresh water is a good amount for a single guy, even for a couple, one rule of thumb I have heard is a gallon a day per person for a passage. I have cruised/lived aboard for almost 20 years, and I never used that much water on passages, but you need to plan for more than use for safety issues. This assumes you are doing all the water conservation things other posters have mentioned. Remenber you will probably have several water jugs as a back in case the main tank decides to fill the bilge!

Have fun

Tom
Old 09-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #33
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonjuno View Post
This assumes you are doing all the water conservation things other posters have mentioned. Remenber you will probably have several water jugs as a back in case the main tank decides to fill the bilge!
A bit off topic, but that happened to us once, and did we feel foolish! It wasn't a beginner's mistake is what I mean. We simply forgot to turn off the freshwater pump and a hose came loose and the pump pumped all the fresh water into the bilge.

Since you need jerry jugs to bring water to your boat in many places of the world, our practice is to keep those jerry jugs filled with water while on a passage, so that even in the worst case we will have 10 gallons of water. May as well carry them full as empty, they take up the same amount of space.

Another comment. I missed your expectation of sailing into the higher latitudes. You're going to want a heater for that, and they take up a lot of room! A 30' boat doesn't seem big enough to spare that kind of space.

J

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #34
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

HA!... just had the exact same thing happen to e the other day... left the water pump on and a hose burst, lost 50 gallons of water into the bilges... didn't realize it till we got in and wanted to use the water... pump just kept running and running... "what the heck, the tank is empty!" lifted up a floor-board and sure enough another there was our empty water tank floating out eggs and beer nicely around the bilges...

fortunately we're coastal so no biggy... and the bilges are the cleanest they've ever been...

back on topic.... Now that I have a monohull I often look covetously at the few bilge keelers I see.... sure would be nice to be able to just run up on the beach or into shallow areas and sit down at low tide for protection from the storm that's coming through... just another option I haven't heard anyone voice.... bilge keelers have a bad rep for some reason but they were in fact designed for heavy seas and setting down in dried up anchorages... I have a friend who sailed one for 20+ years in the north sea salmon fishing, he loved her and never had a doubt aobut her sea worthiness... most are smaller but their are some 30 odd footers out there.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #35
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Well you cannot add wheel steering to either the Hughes or the Twister > The specs don't mention Autopilot for Hughes - but an old Navico for the Twister.

Would you add 2 self-tailers and an electric windlass to the Twister? Also a Hard Dodger and Bimini to all 3?

Are you intending to go offshore cruising? Which would be the best boat to handle rough weather?

Finally remember Fred's comments about older boats - Out with the Hughes.

When it comes to selling a boat - 30ft will have more appeal than a 28ft.

So Jon, you set a tough assignment for those of us, who were not with you on your search.

Therefore my choice if forced to make one, would be the Golden Gate
Alright! well thanks for al the responses, Ill take into account what you guys are saying about the water issue. I truly think Shannon and I can make the 28 footer work, in all honesty the floor-plan is almost identical to the golden gate and i dont find the two boats much different when it comes to size and stowage, if anything the twister has more room, it had much more bilge space, plus the Golden gate had Worm steering in the back, while I like that kind of linkage for a wheel system, you loose all of you aft space to it, the twister had a external rudder therefor it has lots of space in the stern. thats a plus, when it comes to a hard dodger, I guess it would be a good idea, although I would like to just keep the sunbrella, I will be putting a bimini on it tho, also If i come across two self-tailing winches Ill pick them up at a decent price maybe used, and then try to sell the older ones. and I think that would be a negative on a electric windlass, Im young and fit, and if an anchor of a 28 footer sets me back, I need to get into a more lazy sport/hobby.

Thanks, and any other comments or ideas are great!

Jon
Old 09-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #36
Admiral

Well Jon and Shannon,

All the best for the next phase, getting a surveyor organised (preferably one who has surveyed this type of boat - year wise) Making a provisional offer (for that vintage around 12% off the asking price) It looks a a well kept boat.

Keep us posted and good luck !!!

I have a full parts list for the volvo engine if you need it.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #37
Ensign

Hello again, well some bad news, we did get into offering for the twister, but we where out bided by another buyer, now that can always fall apart but it just had its sea trial and is waiting for a survey.... So the look continues. I went to the bay area this weekend to look at a few other boats that just came on the market and I am having some troubles finding info about them. on boat I can find almost zero info on is a NZ boat called a compass 29??? any links or help on that would be awesome! also I found a Seafarer 31'1'' and would like to hear any comments on her. I found more info a about the latter but any other fun facts would be great!

Thanks,

Jon
Old 09-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #38
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

A good resource for you - all about buying a boat: HERE

It covers just about everything - compiled by a boat surveyor.

Keep us updated on your progress.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote