Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
Ensign

Default participating a race around the world

hi

I would like to what the name of the yacht race around the world anf if there any possibilty to join?

thanks

Old 07-07-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
rod hodgson

G'day Lavi, I believe you may be referring to the Global Challenge Yacht Race. If so, unless you are a highly experienced yacht racer and are regarded as one of the elite of the sport, you have no chance of participating in the event. It would be something like a taxi driver being asked to take Michael Schumaker's place in driving one of Ferrari's Formula One cars. If you are young and keen, I suggest you start crewing on a yacht at one of your local yacht clubs, build a reputation and work your way up from there. Best of luck!

Rod
Old 07-08-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to Chetan

There are many ways to participate in Round the World Races

1. Your middle name is Russel Coutts

2. Your last name is Ellison and a distant relative owns a software company and recently resigned from the board of Apple Computers stating the reason that it infringed on his sailing time

3. You were lucky enough to be selected for Team ABN Amro 'B' competing in the Volvo

4. You have enough money to PAY for a berth on one of Sir Blyth's racing boats - on the bright side it's still cheaper than owning your own boat, but only just

Sound advice from Ron - get on the water, work your way up and then you will see that you are in demand

all the best
Old 07-12-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
benscottrobinson

Hang on, there are ads here in London for places on a round the world race. It's money rather than skill that gets you on board this one (although being 7 stone, inclined to seasickness and desire for your mother on waves over 2 feet might disqualify you).

I can't remember the race, but it covers the southern ocean and looks pretty full on.

It kicks off in '07 I think, and costs around £15k per leg.

Cheaper, I say, than 3 months continuous rides at Aulton Park.

Ben
Old 07-20-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
Ensign

You are correct. Anyone can participate. Global Challenge provides the training. You pay. Check out this site: http://www.challengebusiness.com/global/index.asp They sometimes attend boat shows. I visited them at the Newport International Boat Show and met some of the volunteers and toured their boat. The race is a one design and the they race the wrong way around.

Good luck!