Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Just thought I'd post an update here on what's been going on lately... Hopefully some others who are in a similar situation, or trying to make their own decisions can benifit a bit by airing their thoughts as well...this discussion has been going on for a while now in PM but at Redbopeep's recommendation I'm bringing it to the forum...

I just sold my boat, or well it's pending sale at the moment, should close here in the next week or so. I sold her for several reasons. First and foremost being that she had no 'soul' to me, no spirit of her own, she was a great boat in many regards, but just didn't speak to me like I want my boat to... she was also a bit more tender than I like. I want something heavier that takes to big seas like a duck and doesn't wallow around quite so much in a following sea.

So I'm back on the boat hunt.

My criterion:

- between 30 and 40 feet... it may sound like a big range but it's really not, I've been on some trim 40s that have less space than beemy 33s... essentially I want a boat that is comfortable for longterm liveaboard for two, with all the kit and tools of DIY'ers. But is small enough to be econimically maintained and easily single-handed if need be.

- is a bit "shippy", a cutter with nice lines would be ideal. To me a cutter is the ideal short handed rig. only one bast to work with and she will sale nicely on her main and club jib, in light airs you toss up a headsail or drifter and get a little extra... ketches and schooners have the same benifit but in my expereince jibs are quiker and easier aloft and off than dealing with booms and masts... No sloops unless it's an old clinker, I just love clinkers.

- a double bunk, a real one, not just a v-berth, I'm 6'2, my girlfriend is 5'10, a v-berth just doens't work for us, we kick each other all night.

- 6' headroom below.... again we're tall.

- not too much high-speed gear, i want to keep it simple and not run the engine or a generator to charge up all the time... so the boat needs to have(or will get a windvane) or be self steering, no chart-plotters, gps, anemometer, or mechanical auto-pilot, or power/hot water. [i don't want this to turn into a "gps vs. trad nav" debate but I don't use or like gps, they are dangerous and unnecessary toys for day-sailors (no offense, that's just how I feel)]

- i'd prefer she not have a fridge, just an ice-box, so that I can justify installing a technautics cool-blue fridge system, which is econimical enough on power to be manageable off a small solar panel or even a fold-up panel.

- must have a head of some sort, but no walk in showers, just too much space wasted.

- engine is optional but if it has one must be diesel.

off hand I think that's about it...

so far I've found two boats that fit the bill.

Both by chance are Atkins Ingrids, they're heavy, self-steering, good headroom, and stiff but spritely...

- 1) is old and well fit out, pretty much exactly what I want as for gear listed above... but out of my price range for a few months if I want to stay debt free...

- 2) is a finished hull, decks, and engine with no interior.

the thougth process:

1 is pretty much what I want.. but to get her now I have to go into debt... which I'm not sure I'm willing to do... if I wait she may be gone... 2 while cheaper up front will cost more in the long-run to fit out and if I do all the work myself will never be as nicely aappointed as 1... but I can afford 2 now, and do her just the way I want. live aboard and lay her out exactly as I want as money comes in month to month. It'll keep me busy, which is very important for me, and give me a sense of accomplishment... and in the end she'll be "my" boat, with only my personality infused...

I go round and round... one day I'm set on one the next day the other...

ok, ready? ... Discuss... Thoughts? ideas? opinion?

I'm not dead-set on just one of these boats. I'm still keeping my eyes open but at the moment they are the two at the top of the list.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Thanks for updating the forum on your boat-switching plans. I think it is very helpful for others to realize how personal the process of finding the right boat is. And, further that you were astute to realize that the boat you had wasn't quite the right one for you, personally, so you'd best find something which fits you better. Both physically and emotionally--we are tied to our boats and we'd best have a boat that really reflects who we are.

I'm impressed by our moderator JeanneP who cruised many years on a boat that didn't fit the average cruiser's profile of what a cruising boat was--instead that boat suited JeanneP and her husband perfectly. They had years of fun and adventures on the boat that was perfect for them at the time. We each have our own mental image of ourselves and what our life afloat should be like. David and I look forward to your new adventures in finding just the right boat.

PS--since we've PM'd you our opinions about the two boats, I'll leave that alone here but hope others come along to contribute.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
Admiral

Hi Jason,

Staying away from Ketches but including Cutters - good aft cabin for long people.

Here is a picture of my very first 'tippy boat' a Nantucket Island 33. One of the best I've had or sailed on. It was a real big boat in a small LOA.Click image for larger version

Name:	Nantucket Island.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1592

Here it is before I cutterized her by adding a small bowsprit - super aft cabin - 20 Hp Yanmar - could take the roughest weather - 2 trips to Japan from Hong Kong.

The other boats that I would consider to be in a similar category :-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bayfield 32.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1593

Bayfield 32

Name:	C&C 36.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1594

C & C 36

Name:	Cape Dory 31.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1595

Cape Dory 31

Name:	CAL 35.jpg
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1596

Cal 35

Name:	Irwin 30ft.jpg
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1597

Irwin 30

Name:	Morgan.jpg
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	1598

Morgan 36 -- 'great boats!!!'

Name:	S2.jpg
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	1599

S2

Name:   Vickers 347.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  7.3 KB

Vickers 347

---------------------------------------------

Good Hunting

Richard
Old 11-21-2010, 12:04 AM   #4

The Nantucket looks really nice with the bowsprit. How did the change in sail effort improve or change the boat's handling?

Old 11-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #5
Admiral

Hello Brenda & Jason,

I don't suppose the addition of a staysail made much difference in normal conditions but in a gale with a couple of reefs in the main and the head sail furled completely = really comfortable.

Jason here is story regarding Caraway - you might enjoy in your hunting :-

CARAWAY

Richard
Old 11-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #6
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to Nusailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
Been following you since you came down from the Cape on your old boat. Let's see; you like to do things yourself. That is certainly a good thing, since we all know there is usually no on to help when things go awry. #2 sounds like your boat. You want to make it your own, You will definitely become very intimate with it when you do the work yourself. The one that is "ready" to go ;you seem to be a little hesitant about. . We all know like a house; but more so a boat's work is never done. If you get the one you can afford you can be there working on it and getting to know it as well. The other one will be like a charter IMHO.

John
Old 11-21-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
Admiral

Here's a Chuck Paine design for tall people :-

TANGIER
Old 11-21-2010, 03:10 AM   #8

Lovely read, MMNETSEA and a really great Paine design. That looks to be a Paul Luke soapstone stove in it. Quite an open plan as well.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
Admiral

Thanks for the all the input...

I am indeed leaning towards #2. as nice as #1 is I think I'd rather start from scratch and have things just the way I want them... no compromises, no looking for hidden problems that I might not know about coming aboard an older boat.

The Bayfield and some of the others I have looked closely at, lots of good price competitive stuff out there at the moment. I lean towards the Ingrid because while she may be a plastic boat she holds to many of the properties of the wooden boat she was plugged from...

No final decisions yet but will probably make the call soon, as soon as my own boat closes.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
Old 11-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #10
Admiral

Hi Jason,

Good strong boat that 38, if it is the one I think it is - disadvantages :- Ketch, depending on how tall you are, lousy sleeping accommodation and ablution facility. I have the 3 PDF's for the engine - PM me your new email address and I will send.

Richard
Old 11-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
Admiral

That's one of the things I like about this Ingrid in particular, she has no interior. So I'll install a pullman instead of a v-berth, and as she has no rig I'll probably raise the boom on her mizzen 6 inches or so if need be, to give me room for a bimini...

Old 12-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #12
Admiral

Finally got acceptance on my vessel. Am doing a few odd jobs on the boat that the buyer wants done, easy stuff he doesn't know how to do, and we'll be closing shortly. Woo Hoo!!...

And think i'm going to hold off on buying for the moment. Let the holidays roll by, spend some time in the woods and take my time making the decision.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #13

Good luck!

Old 12-25-2010, 04:46 AM   #14
Commander

Quick comment on the Cal 35 mentioned previously- that is really a Cal Cruising 35. If you'd like to check one out in person you're welcome aboard mine any time.

6'6" headroom in the raised saloon, and 6'3" forward of that. Perkins 4.108 with great access to the engine on three sides. Usefull interior layout, but again a V-berth so you'll be kicking each other all night. The best way to avoid this is to get something with an aft cabin.

I'd say find a nice Searunner or Tri-Star in your size range. Or, if you can swing it, a center cockpit Freedom 40.