Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Thumbs up

Hello Folks, its me again!

I have a dilemma. I have located an Alberg 30 that is being sold for less than $6K. It seems to be sound but I still have it surveyed. As well, it is simply on stands right now. It has no cradle or trailer. I found folks who could make me something to put it on. Although the trailer is twice as expensive as what they are asking for the boat, the cradle is not so bad. But that would require someone to flatbed it back here for me. And a crane at each end. And here is the kicker - the boat is in the US. Getting it across the boarder would be a real pain as it would require the guy with the truck to have all kinds of permits to haul "boats" across the boarder professionally which are also cost-prohibitive.

I did talk to one guy who said he was working on getting the necessary permits (most just avoid having to go to the US because of all the extra bother) but did not know when it was all going to come through. Hopefully within a couple of weeks, best case next week. But then again, maybe not... I talked to 9 other trucking companies and they were not willing to do it. What happened to the recession?

But the guy with the truck that would be willing to do it said his dad, that is now 87, is taking up room in this guy's yard with a Hughes 38'. 1966. Didn't get much more info on it as I was not sure how serious he was, but he figured he could get his dad to sell her to me for the same as the A30. And it would be a shorter haul, and would not have to cross into the States. And already has a cradle.

But what do you folks think of the Hughes? I know the A30 pretty good because it has such a strong association here. Lots of information and people willing to talk about their experiences. I know that it is a solid fiberglass hull with masonite-cored decks. I even have a list of owners with dates they owned it and what they called her all the way back to when she was launched.

I know comparatively little about the Hughes 38 other than what I pulled of Sailquest. But it is hard to turn away when it is an extra 8 feet! With that date it is pretty likely that it is also a solid fiberglass hull, yeah?

Ay suggestions?

Kevin

Ottawa, Canada
KevinBarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Okay, found specs on sailboatdata.com. Great site. Still don't have as much familiarity with the boat as the A30 but its getting better.

Ottawa, Canada
Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
Ensign

The Sparkman and Stephens Designed Hughes 38 has a great pedigree. It was designed about the same time as S&S designed the two time America's Cup winner Intrepid. The underbody looks quite similar to Intrepid and looks to have benefitted from the tank testing done for the Cup. S&S boats were noted for their windward ability, sea kindly motion and generally good handling characteristics. I have never sailed on the boat or heard much about them but it could not have a better pedigree.

S&S was the premier racing yacht designers for more than 50 years. They designed the always victorious US America's Cup boats from 1937 to 1980. The Dorade vent was designed by them for the boat they built for their Father by the name of Dorade. Dorade won the Fastnet, Transpac and a ton of other races from it's birth in 1930. Their designs are near legendary and usually the top finisher in races around the world. They designed a number of production boats for Tartan, this one for Hughes, all the early Swans as well as a few others.

FWIW Olin Stephens who founded S&S with his brother Rod just died last year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituari...ner-935321.html

Aloha

Peter O.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Ensign

I've been reading posts for many months now but this is my first post. I just couldn't resist responding to this thread.

Kevin; My husband and I live about an hours drive north of Toronto. In 2005 we brought a Catalina 27 over the border. We purchased the boat in Muskegon, Michigan and it was shipped to Keswick, Ontario. The boat broker gave us a list of trucking companies and my husband just phoned and made inquires. The company we ended up using took care of all of the details at the border, saving one of us the long drive and time off work, and gave us a fair deal since they could ship it with another boat that was coming from Ohio to the same area. All border fees were added to our bill but these were but these were just PST and GST. You have to pay these taxes when you register your boat in Ontario regardless of where you have purchased it. Transportation is expense and of course the farther you ship something the more it costs.

BTW. My husband works for a large, international moving company. He could get a discount if he used his company but wanted a boat mover since they have the expertise to do it correctly.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
Admiral

The Alberg designs were very good cruising boats - The 30 amongst the best. Comparing it to a Hughes 38 - probably Not the best thing to do - The 8ft alone changes the dynamics.

If the dilemma boils down to cost and "agro" of getting one boat across the border against the other, then the problem maybe easier to solve. 38 wins ?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Ensign

Any S&S boat in my opinion is a GOOD boat - here is a complete discussion to aid you http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-...hstar-38-a.html

My fav remains a Cheoy Lee design.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
The Alberg designs were very good cruising boats - The 30 amongst the best. Comparing it to a Hughes 38 - probably Not the best thing to do - The 8ft alone changes the dynamics.

If the dilemma boils down to cost and "agro" of getting one boat across the border against the other, then the problem maybe easier to solve. 38 wins ?
LOL - "border agro" is not a concept that I had thought of. I see we have a gamer in the crowd! Nice!

The difficulties coming across the border is definitely a factor in my decision-making. As is the fact that the Hughes 38 is one hour away and the Alberg 30 is five hours away (in another country not withstanding).

I guess what it boils down to is whether there are any systemic or stability issues with the 38. If no, that is the way I would go. It is still going to need some love as the A4 engine will have to come out as will the exhaust system (both stock - gasoline has no place on a boat, in my opinion; I would rather burn than explode if that makes any sense). It has only had one owner since it was launched. I am not sure if that is good or bad...

Kevin

Ottawa, Canada
Old 06-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
Ensign

Have you thought of shipping her with a RoRo ship? One of the best ways of 'importing' boats'
Old 06-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
Have you thought of shipping her with a RoRo ship? One of the best ways of 'importing' boats'
Hmm, I am not sure a roll-on-roll-off container ship would expedite anything. Given that it would be a very circuitous route to get there by anything but highway, flatbed is probably the fastest and least expensive route. Rail might be better if the rail system was better developed but c’est la vie.

Kevin

Ottawa, Canada
Old 06-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
Ensign

Kevin,

depending on where you need to move the Alberg from, I can name 2 boat movers in South Western Ontario. Heritage Marine in London, ON use a 1 ton truck and a special trailer ( depending on the set up, you may not need a crane.) They are entrusted with my inlaws very well loved Tartan 37, so the Alberg would be easy. Not sure if they will run into the US, but a phone call will tell you. Bothwell Boat Works, Bothwell ON, have a larger Semi Truck, and I am sure the proper trailer with it, that will tackle even larger jobs. I crossed the ferry over the Detroit River on the same boat as them, so I guess they will run over there.

Hope that helps.

Jeff
Old 06-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Good News Jeff! I will give them a call (in that order!).

Cheers and thanks again,

Kevin

Ottawa, Canada
Old 06-29-2009, 12:16 AM   #12
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBarr View Post
Hello Folks, its me again!

I have a dilemma. I have located an Alberg 30 that is being sold for less than $6K. It seems to be sound but I still have it surveyed. As well, it is simply on stands right now. It has no cradle or trailer. I found folks who could make me something to put it on. Although the trailer is twice as expensive as what they are asking for the boat, the cradle is not so bad. But that would require someone to flatbed it back here for me. And a crane at each end. And here is the kicker - the boat is in the US. Getting it across the boarder would be a real pain as it would require the guy with the truck to have all kinds of permits to haul "boats" across the boarder professionally which are also cost-prohibitive.

Kevin
I had and completely rebuilt a 1966 Alberg 30. After a certain year the decks were balsa cored.

But the one thing I wanted to say was that the A30 is a very small 30 footer. I went froma Cal 29 (had it with a partnership that disolved) to the A30 and just couldn't stay with it.

Daysailing=GREAT. Cruising= too small. It was a fabulous sailing boat and I wouldn't (and didn't) hesitate to take it out in any weather. After a complete refit I sold it for $18k.

I now have a 1975 Pearson 39 Yawl.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #13
Lieutenant

Yeah, the Hughes fell through at the last moment, unfortunately. The elderly fellow to whom it belonged changed his mind at the last second. He is 87 so I am figuring he just wanted to know it was there. In his spot I would probably do the same. Selling the boat now might be like admitting that I was getting ready to through the towel in.

So Alberg 30 it is. It will be fine as a day-tripper for now. Later I will trade up.

Ottawa, Canada