Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-04-2006, 04:36 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50
Default Questionable Hardware from Ebay

What would you do?

I just bought a very very nice piece of navigation hardware from someone on Ebay...less than half the lowest list price. It was advertised as being new. It arrived today and is obviously not new as you can tell that it has been mounted before. It appears to work just fine, however the serial number has been removed which means that I can't register it with the manufacturer for warranty work. The seller is not returning my emails.

Would you cancel payment or what?

Old 11-04-2006, 04:41 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I would immediately cancel payment. Ebay has a protocol for dealing with rogue sellers also. I have been fortunate in my dealings with sellers on Ebay...So far I have always been left smiling. Especially happy with the manually cranked 1940's Singer sewing machine. It will just about sew 2 pine planks together and cost me $25.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

I'm certainly no expert, but...

Advertised as new... Removed from mounting... Serial Number removed... No Reply from seller...

Sounds like STOLEN PROPERTY to me.

Cancel payment (as David advises) and contact Ebay. Maybe that's where my neighbor's GPS went.

Kirk
Old 11-05-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
Commander

There is only one reason to remove a serial number and Kirk has hit the nail on the head. Cancel payment certainly but also consider notifying the police as the person you bought the product from is a thief and steals stuff from fellow yachties. Notify ebay as to your suspicions as well as the reasons for them. They may close down his lucrative business or at least slow him down.

Regards

Peter
Old 11-06-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Here is their response:

Hi Ken,

this is brand new. You got a $4000k piece of equipment for $1500 which stated that it had no accessories. The accessories will cost you approximately $100. We don't have a serial number or know anything about a serial number on it. We shipped it to you as stated, as we received it.

Nicole

================================================== ===========

Without a doubt this equipment has been mounted as there is a plastic mounting screw broken-off in one of the tapped holes. No big deal as it can be removed with a little work. And they are correct about the value. I simply believe these guys pulled the unit off someone's nav-station down at the marina. I checked with Raymarine this morning, and the serial number should be affixed to the back of the unit on a decal with a barcode.

I sent a letter to Ebay this morning describing the hardware and removal of serial number to see what their policy is on this type of matter.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #6
Commander

That's simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Refuse to pay and if they threaten you with some sort of action then surgest that the police would maybe like to know about her selling stuff with no serial numbers.

Regards

Peter
Old 11-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #7
Ensign

just 2 weeks ago here in Connecticut 2 women were arrested with over $35,000 worth of stolen merchandise (shoplifters) that they were selling on ebay.

They were caught because some of the items listed were in fact handmade and very unique to the area, so it was pretty obvious. However, in the local paper, the police department was quoted as saying that this is a new form of crime developing. (obviously).

The wording "we shipped it to you as stated, as we received it" doesn't sit well with me.

sv Serendipity
Jim Wasko is offline   Reply With Quote