Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Ensign

Here is the plan.

I am currently in the UK and want to purchase a boat in the US and then to cruise the Carib and eventualy take it to Australia (I am a dual national). Are there any problems with this?

I have a lot of sailing experience and have lived on a 60 foot steel ketch in Oz for 2 years. Navigation and sailing is not a problem.

Should I keep the boat US registered or re register under the small boat scheme here in the UK?

What ships papers would be needed and would I need any formal skippers licence? I have radio licences.

I would be on a very tight budget ($20,000) max and would want to live on this for a couple of years, is that a reasonable expectation?

Thanks for any help

Old 07-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Ensign

David

Be very careful that the boat you buy is excempt for the RCD (Recreational Craft Directive) .

This in its simplest form requires that the yacht can be proven to have been in European Economic Area waters prior to 1998.

If you bring a vessel which does not comply it can neither be sold or sailed in Europe.

I don't know if a non national can hold onto US registration, I'm guessing not.

Bringing the boat into Europe will attract VAT and import duties.

You will need a proper bill of sale, there is one from the US Coast guard I think which you can download from the web.

Good luck

Michael