Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-10-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Remember your first day? Tell me about it...

Hi, my name is Mandi and I live in Perth. I came over from the uk 6 years ago and i have always dreamed of learning how to sail . I have recently booked into a beginners course in december on a keel boat, 16 hrs in total. I will go out and buy the relevant books so I'm not totally ignorant. However, I believe in learning from life experiences and so this is where you all can help me out. Everyone has to start some where! Can you share your early experiencs with me? It will help me establish some normality when i **** up and make me feel proud when I dont!

I look forward to your stories......

Old 10-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
Ensign

Hi Mandi,

I also live in Perth, if you want to get out sailing, go to any yacht club on race day, there will always be some one with room on a cruiser, I know that is the case at Nedlands where I crew every sunday.

I am busy getting my 32 footer ready to launch, should happen by xmas then you will be welcome to come out for a sail,

Cheers, Emmo

Old 10-11-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

Hi Mandi,

We're now EU based but also started sailing in Perth. Gave up smoking and rewarded myself by buying a little Court 650 Trailer Sailor. Had read loads but never actually gripped a helm in anger.

Had one of two trips outs on the Ocean in sea brezzes - scary for wife but ejoyable for me.

Then visited every yacht club on the Swan - found we felt most welcomed at Perth Flying Squadron - so joined and launched there the next Sunday to take part in a Club Race. All very exciting as the others wooshed back and forward pre-start - but once the gun went bang and all the others headed off - it was in a direction I simply could not sail to!

The Club house was closed by the time we'd completed the course that day - but with one part experienced person on next week - we got back in time for a beer - and simply progressed from there.

Four years and several boats later we were Club Champions - so its not really rocket science.

I'd still reckon PFSYC is best place to get started in Perth. They used to race twilights on Wednesday evening - Friday arvo - and Sunday.

If you do visit you could try and use our name (although not sure anyone would remember us) but go look in the Trophy Cabinet and you should still see stuff with our names on ( we are John and Sue Allison - then yacht name was Karakatini).

Good luck

JOHN
Old 10-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
Ensign

I started out wanting to live on a boat as a cheaper alternative to an apartment. Then after some research figured I better learn to sail first. By that time, I had already found a place to live, but learning was very confusing, especially reading about it, it makes sense once you get out on the water, and be sure to ask your instructor lots of questions.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #5
tel
Lieutenant

Hello Mandi. We're in Hobart and it can be very windy down this way. I remember many years ago learning to sail - we still sail. I recall a few things -

the noise in heavy weather from the sails and rig (you get used to that)

the apparently violent action of the mainsail in heavy weather (you get used to that)

having to watch the telltales or wind indicator all the time to work out how the sails shuld be set in relationship to the wind direction (you get used to that)

the need to quickly learn the names of all of the different ropes on the yacht. They all have different names for good reasons (you get used to that)

having an experience you won't get anywhere else (you don't get used to that).

Cheers and good luck.....Tel
Old 10-14-2006, 10:17 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

"And all the sailors said - Mandi, what a fine girl, what a good wife she would be - but my life, my love and my lady... is the sea".

I bought my first boat 25 years ago and made my share of mistakes (steering out of the marina using the outboard tiller to steer and throwing the anchor over without attaching the chain to the rode - duh)but my favorite monent was the time my crew didn't show-up at the launching ramp and I finally went out without anyone aboard but myself. My "Moment of Zen" came when I went up to the bow and Hung Ten (toes) off the front of the boat... sails trimmed perfectly, slicing the water on a glorious day with a BIG smile on my dial.

Now I'm peacefully living aboard my fourth boat in the Caribbean after crossing three oceans in the past twelve years and 25,000 nautical miles and smiles.

You only live once, so...

Love to Live - Live to Love,

Kirk