Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-25-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Requirements for the Med

I am intending heading for the Med from South Africa.

I have three partners in our 45ft St Frances cat.

My wife and I intend living aboard and taking the other partners cruising the Med for two weeks each per annum.

Can someone help with what red tape is involved in the med.E.G.

Licences & Certificates, Insurance.

The costs of short term moorings, can you put your spike down in sheltered area's for free.

Any help on what problems I might encounter would be greatly appreciated.[?]

Thanks ! The Rhodie

Old 01-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Commander

Rhodie:

I'd recommend you visit www.svsarah.com where you'll read some of John's posts about cruising in the Med, and you'll also find a few things from me in the WHOOSH link - e.g. discussions on VAT and Schengen (Immigration). In general, there are many non-EU boats and cruisers in the Med and dealing with the rules generally boils down to the following:

1. The EU countries there are Schengen signatories. This means they do not permit presence of a non-Schengen citizen inside their combined borders for more than 90 days in a 180 day period. In practice, this is not enforced this way by the officials but one is generally expected to leave a given country after 90 days unless seeking an extension to one's visa. While cruising, this is not often a problem...and if it is, ferries and trains are everywhere and you can take a day trip outside the border to have you passport restamped on your return.

2. VAT is applicable - if the officials think to look for you - on all non-VAT paid vessels who remain inside the EU for more than 18 months. Consequently, we all step outside the EU on occasion and get paperwork documenting that fact, which we then keep available if visited by the officials. VAT scrutiny is not common except on the French Atlantic coast. VAT is usually around 17-20% of the official's evaluation of the boat's value, so you definitely want to avoid it. Morocco, Tunisia, Croatia, Turkey and the VAT-free zones of the Channel Is. and Gibraltar are all commonly visited locations for 'restarting one's VAT clock'.

3. Clearing in/out is generally not done when moving from one EU country to another. Greece is certainly an exception, where they seem to have much paperwork and each harbor has its official(s). I would recommend on arrival (perhaps Lagos, Portugal - a popular stop before entering the Med) that you do the normal clearance (customs & immigration, most often done by the marina on the S coasts of Portugal and Spain, so no special visits to the authorities), and then not worry about clearing in/out as you move thru the other EU countries. OTOH when visiting a non-EU country - e.g. you hop over to visit Morocco from Gib, or visiting Croatia, Turkey - then assume formal clearance in/out to be the norm.

Good luck on the run; keep an eye out for our 13m ketch once you arrive...and Welcome!

Jack

WHOOSH, lying Gzira, Malta for the winter

Old 01-27-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi Jack

Thanks for the info, I am working may way through WHOOSH, very intersting info.

I am still looking for daily mooring prices and if you can put your anchor down in some area's without being charged.

Thanks

The Rhodie
Old 01-27-2007, 09:53 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

I'm certainly no expert, but...

We entered the Med via Egypt at the end of April, 2001 and sailed past Gibraltar in early November later that year. We stopped at Cyprus, Turkey, Greece, Crete, Malta, Sicily, Sardenia, Spain, Morocco, Gibraltar and a few lesser places in between. For some reason, I had a very difficult time in locating proper places to check in and before Aye knew it - we had arrived in the Canaries.

My Bad... but we had an awesome time, none-the-less.

To Life!

Kirk
Old 01-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
Ensign

Good Day Kirk

Thanks for your input, did you have any problems with moorings along the way.

Did you have to make any changes to your electrical systems to make things work.

The Rhodie
Old 01-28-2007, 11:39 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

Ahoy Rhodie,

No changes to our electrical system were ever necessary simply becauses we never found it necessary to plug into shore power to keep our beer cold.

The only way to make this happen is to make your boat into a simple, little power plant and reduce your energy needs as best you can. We did our's with three fresh batteries, four solar panels and a smart alternator.

We were always able to easily find a safe anchorage everywhere we went and were able to find free marinas & moorings just about any time we needed to seek safe refuge.

We spent six delightful months poking around all over the Med and spent, on average, $750 per month and we weren't really even trying to be frugal. None-the-less, we always ate well and had a bottle of wine to share while exploring some of the world's finest cities and richest cultures.

There seems to be a common mis-conception that cruising the Mediterranean is quite expensive for we common sailors... but, in my opinion, it does not have to be... provided you can be satisfied without feeling a need to hob-nob with the rich and famous.

Our favorite free marina was on the south side of Santorini, our favorite free mooring was in Malta and our favorite free anchorage was Fuengarola.

Are you sailing your cat up the Red Sea or Atlantic?

Enjoy your trip,

Kirk
Old 01-29-2007, 01:25 PM   #7
Ensign

Hi Kirk

Thanks for the info, just what I was hoping for.

I am in two minds as what to do as I love the Mozambque coast right up to Kenya, however the trip from Gordon's Bay in the Cape to Mozambeque is a tough one. The strong Agulhas curent and rough seas make the choice a hard one. I then have Samalia to think about into the Red Sea. The Atlantic on the other hand is so very long having to go most of the way to South America before turning back towards the Med.

The Rhodie

Tags
med