Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban
Talking

Breaker views!

PATONG: Six days after it washed up on the south end of Patong Beach, the 38-foot sailboat Sultan remains high and dry after several unsuccessful efforts to dislodge and re-float her.

The Sultan washed up on the south end of Patong Beach during a strong storm about 1 am on Tuesday.

Skipper Michael Wilson of the UK, who was asleep on the fiberglass vessel when it hit the shore, told the Gazette he had anchored off Patong after an exhausting 17-day solo sail across the stormy Indian Ocean from Sri Lanka.

Pol Sgt Payong Chitsombat of the Tourist Police office in Patong told the Gazette that Patong Municipality had already offered the Briton free use of a tractor to free the vessel from the sand.

However, the cash-strapped Brit declined the offer after being told he would have to hire a large boat to tow the vessel back out into the bay at high tide, Sgt Payong said.

“It can’t be moved by heavy equipment alone, but also needs to be towed out by another vessel,” he said.

Mr Wilson had told the Gazette earlier, “I have no money to pay to refloat the yacht, and in my country if an accident like this happens there is no need to pay any money, too.”

Officials continued to bring Wilson food and have left phone numbers so they can be contacted for more help.

“We don’t know what else to do to help him, because we have tried to organize everything as best we can. We also contacted the British Embassy, but it seems like he doesn’t want to take any action on his own,” said Sgt Payong said.

“If he leaves the yacht as it is now, it will suffer damage for sure. I don’t what is he thinking. [Thursday] night I went there again with British member of the Volunteer Tourist Police, but he acted as if there were no trouble at all,” he added.

Meanwhile, the beached sailboat continues to be a talking point among tourists, locals and resident expats.

“Maybe he will start a trend,” quipped one, noting that Wilson had set himself up with free-of-charge accommodation in an “absolute beachfront” location.

From The Phuket Gazette June 23rd 2007

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

OOPS!

Can it be true, a cruiser with not much money?

Looks like it may a Laurent Giles Salar 40.

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Mr Wilson had told the Gazette earlier, "I have no money to pay to refloat the yacht, and in my country if an accident like this happens there is no need to pay any money, too."
In other words, he believes that "somebody" in his country would float his yacht for free? I thought that was why insurance was sold. Would they float ANY yacht owned by any foreigner who happens to run aground?

Say it isn't so! This man is NOT in his country. The cost of towing his boat out to deep water could probably feed a Thai village for a week or more.

IMO, he doesn't deserve to keep his boat after that statement.

The Thai government should deport the fellow right now and sell the boat to the highest bidder. If the Thai authorities are willing to get the boat off the beach back into enough water to float him off at high tide, two yachties with their dinghies could tow the boat back out to deep water. Actually, he's probably close to it right now. The tide range is 4 to 6 feet. Give the guy a shovel and he could probably dig his own trench back out to deep water.

I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt and say that he's a bit depressed over this; but to expect somebody else to get him out of this pickle? Where's the doughty self-sufficiency of the cruising sailor?

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
If the Thai authorities are willing to get the boat off the beach back into enough water to float him off at high tide, two yachties with their dinghies could tow the boat back out to deep water. Actually, he's probably close to it right now. The tide range is 4 to 6 feet. Give the guy a shovel and he could probably dig his own trench back out to deep water.

I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt and say that he's a bit depressed over this; but to expect somebody else to get him out of this pickle? Where's the doughty self-sufficiency of the cruising sailor?
I wonder why he declined the free use of a tractor.

It is easy for me to talk smart from here. The draft and keel are unknown, as is the slope of the sea floor. The report does not describe the tractor, small or large, rubber tires or steel tracks, with a bucket loader or a dozer blade? A tracked CAT could move enough sand in short order, and pull him out.

A rubber tire tractor may get stuck, depending on the sand, and tire size. Using a pulley attached to a firm offshore anchor, the boat could be towed towards the water, while the tractor moves inland.

If it were I, I would be working, digging sand, even enough to float it in an isolated puddle and get 'er turned 90° degrees. Than there are more options available, working on a trench. Once there is sufficient engine cooling water, rig a pump and hose and wash the sand out of the way, using the engine. It may take a several high tide attempts to float his boat.

He maybe short on money, but he could barter for boat rides, or whatever would entice the local workers, or the even the youngsters, to assist especially in moving sand.

I would rather deal with the sand, than rocks or coral.

He seems defeated, but does not have to be. It sounds like he chose to be. Sitting there eating free food, for six days, upset with another countries' ways, whose shore he happened to wash up upon, is not resolving the problem at hand.

I hope he finds a solution. Best of luck to him.

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Home Port: Mackay
Vessel Name: Dreammaker

Reading lots I came across this. I read it back when it was posted , I had just bought my boat. (thinking I hope this never happens to me)

Reading it again I was wondering what ever happened to him.

Kevin
Old 03-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
Admiral

Hi

As far as I remember it was re-floated - lucky the N.E Monsoon was still blowing.

On the other side of the island during the S.W. monsoon a yacht was beached on the northern side of Au Chalong Bay. - tractors could not be used because of the mud/beach - an out of work 'logging' elephant was deviated from carrying tourists - a trench was dug - and the elephant dragged the yacht into the trench - at high tide the yacht was re-floated and a fishing trawler pulled her into deeper water.

Richard
Old 03-24-2008, 04:19 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
an out of work 'logging' elephant was deviated from carrying tourists - a trench was dug - and the elephant dragged the yacht into the trench
Now that is one bit of kit which, until now, was not on my list of essential items on board.

Where can one get a slightly used, low milage, second-hand elephant?

Just goes to show though that necessity is the mother of invention. I am glad the guy is afloat again. Hopefully he will stay that way.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
Rear Admiral

A shovel, a kedge, and that free tractor would do it. Self pity is a horrible thing........
Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
Ensign

I feel sorry for the guy but if you ask me the local government has done everything they could and the offer for free help to me is hard to pass up. Even with my bad back i would dig her out.

John