Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #41
Commander

Home Port: Puerto Montt
Vessel Name: Westerly Serenade

Some people could log a thousand days and still have no idea... others are natural born seamen who will pick it up in weeks. That said we never stop learning ... anyone who thinks they know it all doesn't....

Alexsander... a question... do you get seasick???

Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #42
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSander View Post
Now to get to the one year, I got this from the very simple calculation that the earths diameter is 40 000km. Throw in a 50% added route due to the fact that you are not going in a straight line, and establish a base speed of 10km/h for a vessel, which, from what I read, is a very conservative speed for a yacht ( thanks for pointing it out. God damn self-correcting googling ), and the fact that the vessel moves 24h a day when sailing, that gives 250 days worth of travel to go round, leaving 3 months worth of doing everything else but sailing. Now I know it's wrong, as it was pointed out early, that's pretty much racing figures ( did I underestimate the deviations from a straight line? why isn't it 250 days? ). Now I know that. But that's how you see it when you try some simple math.
I guess the main reason is that you are not always en route. Sometimes you are just waiting for the correct time window to make a passage. And I guess most cruisers spend much more time in anchor than in blue water.

There are differences in personal taste. As I see a lot of cruisers are retired, and plan to cruise for the rest of their lives, hurrying to nowhere. They have learnt what my uncle have put like this: "You need time for good work. And twice that for bad." So they do not push time, wait for the perfectly perfect weather window (heck, they are already in a very good place, why to hurry to get off?). And Mother Earth is huge. Mindboggingly so, no matter what some are saying about global village and such things. Yes, communication is easy, and you can get across half the earth within a day, but to really know and experience it?

However I found perfectly valid that someone views sailing around the world more an adventure than a life form. It is nice to get an impression of so many different places, life styles and such. And circumnavigating is still a great achievement, which one can be perfectly proud of. Years ahead seem like huge blocks of time, and years behind seem like short moments. So while we are young we look at one year as a looong period, when we get old we know how fast it is over. I think one might want an adveture without wanting to change lifestyle for an infinite period. And in young age anything more than a year is

infinite.

But I also think that cruising around is the type of adventure one never knows how one will like it before doing it. And because that it is best not to think about what to do after: it might end at landfall after the first passage, anchored permanently in some perfect places, going another round when arriving home, or anything. And when it is meaningless to think about its end, it is equally meaningless to plan its duration.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:06 AM   #43
Rear Admiral

Alex,

I'm still learning... and you're wasting time.

And I'll take that bet on a bottle of wine... I'll even double it!

I'm sure you'll have worked it all out by the time you catch me in your round-the-world dream / goal. Be sure to post your progress and I'll meet you somewhere out here.

Good luck. Please note - my favorite wine is Moet Chandon but Dom will do nicely in a pinch. Chilled, of course.

See you soon?

To Life!

Kirk
Old 04-14-2010, 01:55 AM   #44
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by name=karenmmc
Have you seen this website? Bumfuzzle

Young couple with little experience sailed around the world. Start in 2003 and work backwards for the entire story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by name=karenmmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannib' date='02 January 2010 - 07:19 PM View Post

Hey karenmc

whether these guys are a good role model or not their trip is fascinating. I looked it up last night out of interest and spent 5 hours reading it, it appears they were not to impressed with Sydney, Australia. They paid too much for everything, that is where local knowledge comes in. Anyhow, it is raining again here in SYdney, becoming the habit on weekends, so I am going to finsih their story off.

IF you know of any more travel diaries like this please advise.

Regards

Manni
I agree, fascinating! And Cruising Wiki will get me in trouble if I start reading these at work!
Old 04-13-2015, 02:11 AM   #45
Ensign

Home Port: Christiansted

Strength; Space inside; Sailing ability. All boats are compromises with different formulas. Skip space; you need less than you think. Go for full keel, with hung rudder, so you can hit that container offshore or reef, and keep going. Forget balsa core, get a solid solid glass hull. Look for a boat that will sail off a lee shore without a motor, that can compete in cruising class racing, and that is easy to single hand and sail with just a bungee cord on the tiller. Think something like an Alberg 35, and you're affordable.