Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: wanee, fl
Question Sail or Power?

I have been looking at and researching different vessels. I am not sure as to which direction to head. We want to cruise for a time, while our children are small. I have been around power boats for 20 years or more. I have never owned a sailboat. My experience with sail is limited to the sailing I did in scouts. Looking at boats the lure of sail is there, but the size of most sailing vessels is limited. Factors such as fuel costs, shallow draft, and interior space leads me to the catamarans. But, the price. I have looked at a couple of motor sailors, but haven't found one in my region that I liked. Should I allow my lack of experience keep me from pursuing a sailing vessel? What I am finding, the cost seems to be comparable, other than one vessel needing petrol on a constant basis. Trawler, catamaran, or sailboat? Any suggestions?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Get some experience on sailboats that belong to other folks (volunteer to crew at the local yacht club during the beer can races, etc, take a few sailing lessons...) and then you'll have a personal frame of reference to work with. There's really no way another person can make this decision for you. It is highly personal.

We will look forward to hearing about your experiences as you try out different boats.

Fair winds,
Brenda and David

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: coos bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1353 View Post
I have been looking at and researching different vessels. I am not sure as to which direction to head. We want to cruise for a time, while our children are small. I have been around power boats for 20 years or more. I have never owned a sailboat. My experience with sail is limited to the sailing I did in scouts. Looking at boats the lure of sail is there, but the size of most sailing vessels is limited. Factors such as fuel costs, shallow draft, and interior space leads me to the catamarans. But, the price. I have looked at a couple of motor sailors, but haven't found one in my region that I liked. Should I allow my lack of experience keep me from pursuing a sailing vessel? What I am finding, the cost seems to be comparable, other than one vessel needing petrol on a constant basis. Trawler, catamaran, or sailboat? Any suggestions?

sailing has a different set of expenses that power boating and neither is cheap. Sailing is a way to get away from the drone of engines and into a world tuned to God's way. I love both. Nothing is nicer than to move the throttle and feel tons of HP kicks in against a head sea knowing that she will go your bidding no matter what. But then again nothing is nicer than to move along at 5-6knts under the power of God silent except for the wind in the rigging and the sound of the sea.....so nice....Power boats do have tons more space. I love borh
Old 06-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
Ready, Willing, and Able

Home Port: Fort Worth

Most sailboats come with a motor too.

Most power boats don't have sails.

Sailing presents a unique challenge, and can be much more challenging (and that leads to a different sort of satisfaction).

Oddly enough, most boats rarely leave a dock. And most sailboats use their engines more than the owners might admit.

I could enjoy having either one. But there are aspects of sailing that power boating cannot match, and for that reason I will prefer sailing.

Tags
sail