Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-03-2005, 06:08 AM   #1
AndrewRK

Default seeing the world from a new perspective

Hello, my name is Andrew Roesch-Knapp and I am a 19-year old American citizen who attended the University of Victoria in British Columbia last year. Since then I have realized there is so much of the world that I have yet to experience before I want to settle back into university life. I do have a decent amount of sailing experience and would love to be a part of a sailing trip in the upcoming year. As I have just finished teaching sailing yesterday in the Seattle area, my schedule is clear and I am ready for just about any adventure thrown my way. Thus far I have e-mailed a fair amount of people that have listed their boat trips on online crew wanted lists, but have had no serious leads. I am hoping for suggestions as to how to hook up with boats to make this the year I dream about. My hope is to gain experience this year, ideally even some certifications, so that in the years to come I can work as sailing crew and eventually have my own sailboat that I can travel on.

Looking forward to all types of suggestions,

Andrew Roesch-Knapp
Old 09-03-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Phew... what a question Andrew.

A lot of us on this BB are scattered around the world, hence its probably better to leave a constructive answer to the USA based members ( particularly JeanneP )

A lot of " hitch hiking" is done over several well known routes, however its a matter of being in the right spot at the right time.. i.e.in the South Pacific ,between May and November.. remember you have to avoid Cyclone seasons etc.

So good luck. You will achieve what you want,just be psitive and select the right opportunity when it presents itself.

rumrunner...

Melbourne, Australia.

Web: https://www.sailblogs.com/member/rumrunner/?xjMsgID=5680</font id="size1">
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

Andrew, check out the crewfinder forum, and take a look at the link admin recommends: http://www.cruiser.co.za/crewfinder1.asp

Be available at the right place at the right time at you should be able to find a ride.
dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote