Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-16-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Darwin
Default Seeking passage to Indonesia from Darwin

G'day folks,

I'm Simon, seeking passage to Indonesia from Darwin where I'm currently based. I've been doing some maintenance work on some sloops at the Dinah Beach Cruising Yacht Association.

I don't have any sailing experience but I love the water, surf, am a quick learner and adapter, work great in a team environment and play guitar.

I'm ready to set sail when you are and I'd be happy to meet 'n' greet in person so let me know.

Cheers,

Old 06-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

If you're in no particular hurry, the Darwin to Ambon rally starts in a few months and there are always boats in that looking for crew. I will be doing it myself the year after next but that's probably too long for you to wait. Unless you really enjoy Darwin.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

The Ambon race sets off in 8 weeks. Boats will be looking for crew shortly and numbers need to be confirmed so that the CAITs (Clearance Application for Indonesian Territory) can be submitted for approval. Crew names must be included on the CAIT and once the application is made, it cannot be changed. So if you commit, don't back out as it can have serious effects upon the remaining crew and the boat.

It is a great event and has a long history. As Del points out many boats will be looking for crew. Some boats will sail the event then return to Darwin. Generally they want crew for the whole trip. Others, mainly international entries, will be happy to take on crew for the outbound trip to Ambon. But getting in early is the key.

Put a few flyers up at both DBCYA and at the Darwin Sailing Club. Also visit the noticeboards at Cullen Bay Marina, Bayview Haven and the Duck pond. Emphasise the experience you do have and don't promote the musical skills so much...But if you're a decent cook, plug the fact relentlessly.

For information regarding the event, have a look here: Darwin to Ambon Yacht Race & Rally

Have fun!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote