Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-02-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Steel yacht boatyards in Germany

We have heard, that Germany and the Netherlands is famous for steel yachts, also sailing yachts. Can anyone name us a company which builds and sells steel sailing yachts between 14 and 20 meters.

Thank you.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:23 PM   #2
imported_admin

Do a Google search for "Barens" or "Barens Seatrader".

Barens is a Hollander who had a shipyard in Durban, South Africa for MANY years. First prize is to find a Seatrader factory built by Barens himself. He sold a lot of plans - those built by owners in South Africa he tried to supervise himself where possible.

The last time I saw him was in about 1995 & he was in his 80's. He was obviously retired but still selling his plans and still VERY interested in every single vessel he had ever built. He only used the very best grades of steel.

See a 44' Barens Seatrader at: http://www.seerose.cruiser.co.za/seerose/yacht.htm

Good luck in your search for a steel boat.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:51 AM   #3
Ensign

If I were having a steel yacht built I would consider the designs of Angelo Lavranos, Ganley, and Ted Brewer.

I would investigate having it built in South Africa. (I'm in the U.S.A.) Personally, I have neither the money nor patience to have a boat custom built and have read some horror stories of cost and schedule overruns that would make me very careful to investigate a builded before I signed anything.

If I were buying used I would look for a steel Compass 47 (there is also a fiberglass Compass 47) built in south africa to Lavanos's design. Good luck in finding what you want. Jim R
Old 11-13-2005, 03:21 AM   #4
Ensign

Take a tip from me.

if you are having a steel boat built, paint the inside with epoxy tar, then get it sprayed with polurthane foam (they use it for lining the roof of old houses). We had ours done, and 20 years later it's still good.

Polyurethane foam does 3 jobs

1. It stops the boat rusting from the inside.

2. It deadens noise

3. It stabilizes the temperature inside the boat.

Good luck.