Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

We are getting closer to our cruising dream. The Real Estate Agent is listing the house this Friday! We have started to round up things we wish to throw away and list things we want to sell. It is amazing just how much "stuff" we acquire and store away! There are only a few "butterflies" in our stomach at all of the sudden progress. Realistically; the house isn't sold and the boat isn't ready, but the act of listing the house really puts the reality into it.

We are looking into buying a boat to leave on our inland sailing lake (Stockton Lake, Missouri), to use as a home base when we decide to become somewhat land-based, and during hurricane season if it should become necessary. What better cruising insurance than a back-up boat!

Many accounts have been posted here of the exitement and trepidation cruisers go through when at this point in preparation. It has helped us to know more of what to expect and enabled us to deal with it better. Many thanks to those who have gone before us and graciously chronicled the process.

We are shooting for a January departure toward the Caribbean. If we are not away this Spring we will charter for a couple of weeks for a break in the process and to rejuvinate our spirits.

The learning curve is getting steeper as we go because we are learning just how much we still don't know. Our days are even busier because there is so much left to do. But the lure of the lifestyle keeps us motivated. Many folks on this site have helped to answer important questions for us... We want to thank them, and warn them that many more are forthcoming.

Currently I am agonizing over the size of our medical kit. I am a Nationally Registered Paramedic and usually have an entire ambulance at my disposal. I don't want to be offshore and need something that I didn't bring in order to help someone, yet we are on a small cruising boat and space is at a premium.

While cruising is a sort of retirement for me, I would be upset if I could have helped someone but failed to bring what I needed to do so. Any input would help!

Thanks to all,

David

S/V Friendship

Old 10-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernesstech View Post
Currently I am agonizing over the size of our medical kit. I am a Nationally Registered Paramedic and usually have an entire ambulance at my disposal. I don't want to be offshore and need something that I didn't bring in order to help someone, yet we are on a small cruising boat and space is at a premium.

While cruising is a sort of retirement for me, I would be upset if I could have helped someone but failed to bring what I needed to do so. Any input would help!
A very fine sentiment David and one which you should be applauded for

I am sure someone will be along soon who can offer well founded opinions on this matter

I am not so sure about listing your house at this time though. Not really a seller's market is it? I hope all goes well though and you can fulfill your dreams.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
A very fine sentiment David and one which you should be applauded for

I am sure someone will be along soon who can offer well founded opinions on this matter

Quote:
I am not so sure about listing your house at this time though. Not really a seller's market is it? I hope all goes well though and you can fulfill your dreams.
Aye // Stephen
We don't like the market either, but we do not wish to rent (the area we live in just doesn't support enough industry to make for a good market to rent in), and leaving it empty is not an option (kind of like parking your car in some neighborhoods and expecting the tires, etceteras to be there when you return), so we see few options. Many of our friends have had house-sitters, but our place is "very" remote and we just haven't found anyone we trust to do what is needed. I think that some of the fun could be lost from cruising by worrying about the things left behind. Any suggestions would be welcome.

David
Old 10-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Hi, David,

We're so happy for you that you're getting closer to your dream of cruising. It is much simpler if you CAN sell your real estate. Then, no worries about the rental of your property or its condition while you're gone. If you do sell, I'd not put another boat as your storage/home while you're gone--even if you absolutely love your community, your very likely to find that it not where you want to return to after you've spent some time voyaging. We could have rented our home quite profitably but didn't want the "strings" and worries and had too much equity tied up in it that we wanted access to.

If you sell, just go ahead and find a good, heated/air conditioned storage place with reasonable rates and a good reputation and rent a unit. We did that and are quite happy with the situation. Our unit is in Montgomery County, MD and we're in California but we can (and do) get things into and out of the unit when back in the Washington DC area. The cost, for us, was significantly less than it would have been for us to purchase a small property and store things at that property. Since we suspect that we'll be buying a 2nd home type property (first home being our boat!) once everything settles down in the markets, we're happy to do this. No worries about our "stuff" at all. Btw, you might be able to get a good discount on storage if you pay 12 months at a time rather than monthly. In our case, it saved us 15% on the storage cost.

We're excited for you! good luck

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
Commander

The second most important item in your medical kit is a membership in the DAN organization (Divers Alert Network) and their unlimited insurance program which provides air-evacuation back to the major medical facility. Second and third world medical facilities are extraordinarily inexpensive, but are also sometimes not equipped to deal with the things that a major facility in a first country can do. Air-evacuation usually starts at about US$20K and works up to an average around US$30K per occurence. With DAN.org insurance you are out US$100 bucks or less.

Also check with your medical insurance coverage system to see what types of "overseas" coverage it provides. There are medical insurance company links on the web to outfits that can very reasonably supplement your coverages for any costs while outside your home country.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Lieutenant

David,

Congrats on the "Next Step"! This is a big one! My wife and I purchased our boat with the exact same idea and put the house on the maket too. My excitement level was unmatchable. Then the market slid and we have been chasing it ever since (almost 3 years now). Since then, my excitment level has wained, having to spend another winter in PA while my beloved Bristol sits in her cradle, begging for the shallows of the Bahamas!

My wife and I are both realtors in PA an have found that the market isn't quite as DEAD as some say. There are still many buyers. Our problem is that we own a 2 bedroom, 1 bath Aspen and the market has always been hottest for the 3 to 4 Bedroom, 2 to 2.5 bath home with garage and finished basement. We have decided, however, that if we can't sell it during this Winter, we WILL rent until the market comes back to offer us a better return on the Sale. This is the ONLY thing that has kept us in the NorthEast.

The best of luck to you in getting a buyer lined up and fair winds once you do!!

Bajamas
Old 10-30-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
Ensign

Hi David,

There must be a small epidemic spreading insiduously around the world as we too have our house on the market so we can go sailing. Unfortunately our house is not selling a year after being listed (dont expect fireworks on selling, you may have a longer planning period than you imagined before you are unshackled and able to sail). Never the less we are determined, so as our house price lowers so does our expectations on the size and quality of yacht we can afford. Coupled to this the S.A. Rand (we live in South Africa) has lost value sliding from R6.50 to R11.00 against the US$ since last September. However we are optimistic that a sale will happen soon and then we can purchase a yacht and be on our way by the middle of next year. Keep positive and look forward to your departure.

I see you are a paramedic. I just wish I too had your skill. It will be invaluable to both yourselves on your travels, as well as to the people you meet whilst sailing. The only advice I can give you is to make up two medical kits. The first will be a day to day kit for minor medical problems such as burns, cuts, headaches, sea-sickness, stomach aches, aches and sprains,etc and also containing some plasters and bandages etc. The second would be for relatively larger medical emergancies such as accidents etc. This kit would contain such kit as splints, sterile burn gauzes, drips, a suture kit, hyperdermic needles & siringes, as well as the necessary drugs, and good selection of bandages and anything else required for a fall, break, knock on the head or far worse, miles from the nearest hospital. With your expertise you will have a good idea of what these kits should contain. Expect your expertise to be in high demand in far off ancorages.

Good luck with your plans.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
Rear Admiral

I am dealing with a non paying renter at the moment. Iam in the process of going by the book to be rid of them. 2 nights ago I walked through the house. What a filthy mess. It broke my heart. We bought the house in foreclosure, and it was a mess. We cleaned, painted, floored, carpeted inside, and out to turn it into a creampuff.

The house looks similiar to the day I bought it. This family had a lease option with 25% of rent going towards purchase. Now that they can't buy it they are trashing the place. I will never rent again. The house will sit empty until it is sold. It was so bad there was dog feces on the carpet, and the whole house smelled the same.

I am going to stop before I get started . My advice is sell the house, and move forward in life. Cut the ties, and don't look back!
Old 10-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #9

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I am dealing with a non paying renter at the moment.
I wish you good luck in dealing with the situation. Having rental properties works out great if you're able to be right there keeping on top of things and managing the property but if not, so many times awful things can happen. Hubby spent a career in the military and we know so many military families who would buy a house at one duty station and hold onto it to rent out knowing they'd be back to that city within a few years. About 10% of the time it seemed that something awful would happen negating the value of having held onto the house in the first place.

Again, best of luck in getting it sorted out. We did now a couple who were able to make a claim on their home owners' insurance because the tenants trashed the place much as you describe--new carpet, walls fixed, etc and then the insurance company went after the tenants for the damage. That was about 20 years ago, dunno if insurance companies still do that.

Take care,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
Lieutenant

Home Port: Mackay
Vessel Name: Dreammaker

Sorry to hear this, it happened to me 3 years ago. I had a hard time getting them out so I could sell it before they wrecked it anymore. They had 2 months to go on their lease and wouldn't move. I had the real estate agent come to me too embarassed to show people through. I suppose I was lucky in that two couples did go through and one made an offer 20 k less than I wanted. So I done the right thing by them and accepted.

No one will ever look after your home better than you. So it will never be home again it will just be another house.

Hope you do ok

Kevin
Old 11-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
Rear Admiral

Today they should be out. A neighbor called, and told me they were loading up trucks. I will look into my insurance policy. My agent happens to be a neighbor also. We share a common fence. It's just another hurdle in life!