Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-24-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
Ensign

So I'm sun challenged. When I go to the beach I slop on the spf 50 sunscreen and sit under a sunshade but still manage to get burn, particularly on my hands and feet. Hazards of keeping up with a 6 year old. I have dreams of long term cruising but have been wondering what am I going to do about sun protection. I'm searching for SPECIFIC recommendations, particularly as it pertains to cool UV protective clothing. Yes I know I should put on sunscreen, wear I wide brim hat and stay in the shade - all of which have limitations for live aboard cruising. Additional recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Ensign

You are wise to be concerned and to protect yourself from the beginning.

We are fair skinned of English ancestry.

We raised three fair skinned daughters on-board all of whom wanted a tan. Luckily, while they were adolescents a lady cruiser friend said to them, "Have a good look at my old wrinkled skin. If you want to look like me in a few years just keep up trying to get tanned."

We have lived aboard and cruised for 35 years, most of it in the tropics.

The first mate is an RN and was always serious about avoiding melanoma.

Recently a Stanford Univ dermatologist gave us a nice compliment. When he saw on his schedule an examination of a long term cruiser, he decided to use it as a teaching situation and brought with him his medical students. He took one look and said, "Your intake form claims decades in the tropics. Is that right?"

We answered that it was correct.

He said, "Well, I'm very surprised at the excellent condition of your skin. We can obviously use you as an example of how to properly care for one's skin in the tropics."

Sadly, there is no easy solution but this is what works for us.

Research skin damage from the sun, especially melanoma. See a dermatologist and get a briefing about your particular type of skin.

We are aware of solar damage every day light hour -- plan for it.

Yes, we wear large brimmed hats with a means to keep them on in high winds.

We like light weight cotton clothing that covers arms and legs.

While snorkeling we wear something that covers our backs including the backs of our legs.

Any skin showing should be covered with high SPF sun screen -- regularly. Carry sunscreen with you. Apply at least 30 minutes before going into the sun.

Keep sunscreen in the cockpit and the dinghy, purse and backpacks.

Since sunscreen is costly we buy the highest grade we can find and then mix it with inexpensive body lotion to the percentage we desire.

There are places that are easy to miss while applying sunscreen:

The backs of hands.

Ears, especially the tops.

We think cockpit biminis and side curtains are essential at sea, while generous awnings are a must at anchor.

Good luck,,,,

Old 05-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

@ norouke: important topic and Â*@ dally, welcome to the CRUISER LOG and thank you for this valuable info!

.. and seeing the dermatologist every two years, if possible. They have the professional view on your skin and see things developing way before you do. Â*I know that from own experience.

Uwe

SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by norourke View Post

So I'm sun challenged. When I go to the beach I slop on the spf 50 sunscreen and sit under a sunshade but still manage to get burn, particularly on my hands and feet. Hazards of keeping up with a 6 year old. I have dreams of long term cruising but have been wondering what am I going to do about sun protection. I'm searching for SPECIFIC recommendations, particularly as it pertains to cool UV protective clothing. Yes I know I should put on sunscreen, wear I wide brim hat and stay in the shade - all of which have limitations for live aboard cruising. Additional recommendations would be appreciated.
Gooday Mrs. 'noro'-. I'm age, hair & skin - sun-challenged. Live in the highest UV area of Far North Queensland in OZ & in the world. Been yachting (in the sun) for a few years now. I have no personal vested interest - except that you don't get sun-cancer. I've lost 1 this last year - no more thank-you. Here's my advice. Google search - Garnehill Z01 Sun screen. Not sure any of us will ever look like Megan Gail (I'd look ever so funny, ha) but the Ladies 'might' hope. My susgestion is, as I do, USE IT. It works. Ciao, james in OZ "every fulfilled reality beging with a very committed dream ! ! So enjoy & smile (a whole lot), jj
Old 05-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Home Port: Georgetown
Vessel Name: Surprise

Since I never go from pale to tan without a stopover in "BURNT" territory, I find this discussion very valuable. dally - thanks for the great post.

Has anyone tried making their own?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
Ensign

My arms are beginning to look fried meat after too many years of exposure. Long sleeves have always been too hot until I discovered these shirts: http://www.dryshirt.com/merchant5/me...gory_Code=long These shirts are actually cooler than not wearing a shirt and give very good sun protection. Only problem is the Titanium color picks up stains fairly easily. I try and use one shirt that I've messed for doing the dirty work. Hey I don't really care as they work so well and the price is right.