Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Roo
Ensign

Home Port: Bayfield
Default Switching to Propane

Just starting to prepare our boat for world cruising. Switching from Compressed Natural Gas to Propane. Planning on carrying two 20 pound tanks. I would like opinions, for two adults and daily usage is this a good amount to carry?

Old 06-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome aboard. I take it you're in the USA right now? So Cal is one of the only places where it is easy to get CNG. For propane, two (2) 20# tanks is common. That is what we had on our other boat, a coastal cruiser. We have kerosene on this boat so I can't really compare. Many CL members use propane though, so you'll likely have a response soon.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Roo
Ensign

Yes, in US. Hope to start world cruise summer of 2015. Thanks for your quick response.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

It really depends.

Is your refrigeration or heat propane based? How much do you plan to use it? How long will you be out of refill range? How much space do you have for storage? How much do you dislike carrying cans?

I've used a 12 lb bottle for a 4 week trip where we used it for cooking and a lantern. There was some left over. I've used a 20 lb bottle in a motorhome for two weeks including refrigeration and heat and didn't run out. I used the heat a considerable amount.

I would say that certainly if you are using it only for cooking and can refill at least every 6 weeks you will never have a problem, but everyone is different. It is almost certain that you have more than enough but only you can answer that question and only with real world experience.

Recommendation: Have a gauge so you know where you are.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
Roo
Ensign

Thank you Coyote, that's what I needed to know.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Ensign

Home Port: Cape Canaveral
Vessel Name: Day Dreamer
Default Propane lasts a while...

A single 20 pound propane tank lasts us several months (best guess: four to six months). That is for cooking only, for two people plus occasional guests.

We cruise with two 20 pound tanks.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Hi,

It depends on your usage, the kind of appliances you intend to use etc ... 2 stoves of different manufacture can and often use vastly difference amounts of propane.

I use propane for my stove and nothing else and I am getting about 7 to 8 weeks from a 9 pound bottle which is pretty economical for all cooking needs for 2 people including making coffees, heating water for showers etc. I carry two 9 pound bottles of propane for my stove and another for my propane BBQ.

Hope this helps,

Lexx
Old 06-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

Also:

Remember that running out of propane is not the only thing that can happen to your stove. If your stove ceases to work for any reason at all, what is your plan B?

It could be as simple as eating cold food out of cans until you can fix it, but it's worth thinking about.

VERY rough rule of thumb: You can live three minutes without air, three days without water, and thirty days without food.

'Course again, that all depends.

If you can't live without it, have a backup plan. If you can live without it, it's just a convenience.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
Capt'n

Laughs ... good point... I have my stove of course and a propane BBQ with a hood that can be also used as a stove or oven. I also carry a single burner butane portable camp stove with 8 butane cylinders as a back up. If all three systems go down I am screwed but I don't reckon thats gonna happen. Of course I could find a beach, collect some wood ... grinzzz.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:46 AM   #10

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I'm amazed at that the gas bottles (incl butane) that you have aboard, Lexx.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:38 AM   #11
Capt'n

Wot 3 gas bottles... for a total of 12 kilos or 27 pounds of gas and 8 small butane bottles like 200 grams each ... think of fly spray cans and thats the butane... each bottle lasts 8 or 10 hours... not a great deal if you ask me, people usually carry 2 x 9kg of propane at a minimum, mine are smaller sized ones cause I don't need to be lugging round the heavy bulky ones.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
Lieutenant

Home Port: the boat
Vessel Name: Skipping Stone

On my circumnavigation our propane use was quite dependble. 30 days on a 20# cylinder for the refer and 3 months of cooking on a 20# er.
Biggest problem is getting them refilled in some parts of the 3rd world. I carried or bought whatever fittings were necessary for their tanks, attached those to gas hose and then attached the line to my tank. Its a liquid, it pours from theirs to mine if theirs is higher. Worked fine, but we usually did it far from people and ANYTHING that could spark, like a hill top. Most gas company guys will bend over backwards to help you, but it helps if you have a bit of ingenuity to suggest solutions.
facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
Ensign

Home Port: Blue Hill, ME
Default fiberglass propane tank

Review of Lite Cylinder Fiberglass Propane Tank