Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-08-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Teak and Holly cabin sole

To all that have come before...

I have purchased 2 sheets of Teak & Holly veneer cabin sole and it was suggested that after cutting to fit, an epoxy should be used around the edges before being installed. I had asked the seller what he suggested but he wasn't sure sine he dealt more with home flooring and didn't sell a-lot of the marine flooring.

Does anyone have any experience or any suggestions as to what type of epoxy would work on 1/2" Teak and Holly 1mm Veneer on marine ply??

Also, it was recommended that I use Waterlox tung oil to maintain the finish but not any other brand of Tung oil. Would a Lemon Oil work as well or won't that give me the resistance to moisture like the Waterlox would?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bajamas

Old 06-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

Bajamas,

I'm certainly no expert, but...

After you've fitted the individual floor sections...

I would start with a 50 / 50 "solution" of mixed epoxy / xylene (thinner) followed by, say, 75 / 25 and final coat with 100% epoxy coat.

By thinning the mixed epoxy you'll make it quite viscous and will be readily absorbed deep into the wood. By the time you've applied three (or more) step-coats you will have, in effect, "pertified" the wood.

It's a good idea to treat the bottom surfaces while you're at it, but the main purpose is to seal the end grain to prevent water from being absorbed into the new wood.

I reckon any brand of epoxy will do the trick - I always use West System because that's the brand the local chandlery carries. West also provides a nice set of plunger caps which measure the two parts accurately and reduce waste.

Lastly - I use a product called Gym Coat (Gym Seal?) made by Man-O-War (I believe?) which is basically a one part coating commonly used on basketball courts and gymnasium floors. It's cheap and holds up quite well. It comes in matte or gloss finish.

Good luck,

Kirk

PS - don't forget to provide some way of lifting the panels when starting the fitting process because you'll have a bear of a time getting them up again.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:16 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Gallivanters, I noticed that you ALWAYS start your posts with "I'm no expert but...", yet you always seem to have the right answers to the questions!?!? Seems like you may be damned close!

Anyway, thanks for all the great info. Let me tell you there is no shortage of stress (pardon the pun while we are on the rig tuning subject), when it comes to putting in for the very first time. I have so many things on my mind I hardly know where to begin.

The story of your professional tuner was hilarious.

Again, thanks for all your help, I will certainly post my web site in the next few weeks with photos and the blogs that I have been keeping up on, as well as the plan to sail to the Bahamas this year for 6 months for a little R&R&R&R&R&R....

Bajamas
Old 06-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to Chetan

looking forward to the site, stories and pics.... cheers