Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
Ocean Senior Sailor

Home Port: Auckland
Default The Bermuda Yatch Company

Does any body or member know whether this Company exist and whether the vessel they are show casing and claim to be built

See - About Us. The Bermuda Yacht Company is a family-run business based in Bermuda.

The Bermuda Yacht Company | Home

Have tried to search the Web to actually view the completed vessel and one would expect full photographs including the interior by the charter company chartering it, would be available.

I have searched the Buermuda Tourist bureau for information but they list all the yacht charter companies other than THE BURMUDA YACHT COMPANY. Also can't find a Web site in the same name chartering in Burmuda where the usual Rates - Fees and the provision to book a actual charter.

Look forward for comments and help.

Thanks.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

The Kempe family and the Chicane appear to be legit. I assume you're looking at the Bermuda 77 which seems to be at the concept/prototype stage at this point. Wouldn't want to be the first to order any new design myself.

Besides, kiwiland has the best boat building facilities anywhere, why go elsewhere?

Manufacturing is in South Africa, perhaps a search there would produce more results.

Rob

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Ocean Senior Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
The Kempe family and the Chicane appear to be legit. I assume you're looking at the Bermuda 77 which seems to be at the concept/prototype stage at this point. Wouldn't want to be the first to order any new design myself.

Besides, kiwiland has the best boat building facilities anywhere, why go elsewhere?

Manufacturing is in South Africa, perhaps a search there would produce more results.

Rob
Thanks ROB, but does not answer the questions.

[1] I have searched the Buermuda Tourist bureau for information but they list all the yacht charter companies other than THE BURMUDA YACHT COMPANY.

[2] Also can't find a Web site in the same name chartering in Burmuda where the usual Rates - Fees and the provision to book a actual charter. One would expect if you search tourism Burmuda you would find something.

[3] The Original Pics and Story launch was Jan 2011. The Build with all the materials - then 3 months later almost finisned Jan 2011.
It's now July 2012.

[4] One would expect if they plan to charter in Burmuda they would be listed with the Burmuda Tourist Bureau the Company and planned commencement date for operations.

[5] south Africa - Have.

Not actually looking at the 77 Design but some on the concepts. Note this design has a Bridge deck clearance - 1200mm. as opposed to 700mm - 850mm. Wanted to see it in the water.

Cheers.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
Admiral

My point is that they don't actually have a charter business until the first Bermuda 77 comes off the production line and has the bugs ironed out. No point registering anything until then.

The Chicane is a floating museum and they're unlikely to charter that one. I don't see any other yachts on the website.

Why not just email them and ask what's going on?

Rob

Old 07-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Default not a charter

When I went to their website I didn't get the impression they're a charter company but rather they're boatbuilders. And, it looks like hobby boatbuilders. Having said that, they may be very, very good though. Have you contacted them?

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Ocean Senior Sailor

Quote:
My point is that they don't actually have a charter business until the first Bermuda 77 comes off the production line and has the bugs ironed out. No point registering anything until then.

The Chicane is a floating museum and they're unlikely to charter that one. I don't see any other yachts on the website.

Rob
Thanks Rob,

What you are saying then is that they plan to build more than one from the plans they have purchased from the designer.

Their web sites states keep visiting for regular updates, similiarly on facebook, but there has been no updates to date.

Just reiterate, one would have thought if they plan a charter bussiness they would have a web site, stating anticipated opening date for charters. Enquiries requests promoted and be promoting anticipated or charter future bookings, as most people book approx 12 months ahead.

Cheers.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #7
Ocean Senior Sailor

Quote:

Rob
Hi,

Obtained from their Website

The Bermuda Yacht Company is a family-run business based in Bermuda with a sister company in South Africa (Bermuda Yachts ZA). It specializes in the creation of wooden and wood/epoxy yachts of distinction from the past and the future.

The two yachts currently under construction are intended for our charter business and represent the two poles of the yachting experience: from classic 1926 wooden sailboat (Chicane) to ultra-modern catamaran (the Bermuda 77). With décor ranging from rich mahogany paneling, button-tuck upholstery and polished bronze to ‘wine bar’ lighting on glass and burnished steel, our yachts offer an ambience suited to every taste. Whether it’s the creaking of a wooden hull or the skimming, silent speed of a multihull slicing through water, our yachts provide incredibly diverse sailing experiences.

Chicane is being re-built using painstaking traditional methods and traditional materials while our production line Bermuda 77 is being fabricated using factory methods and the most modern of ultra lightweight materials. We intend to produce several of our production line Bermuda 77 which will expand our charter fleet but which will also be offered for sale.

Reid and Lucia chartered Chicane in Bermuda in between day jobs from 1976 for 14 years until a massive re-build began in 1990 under the loving and skillful care of shipwrights Joe Postich and Wendy Bliss. Joe and Wendy are products of the first Apprenticeshop in Bath, Maine, the brainchild of the legendary Lance Lee. The Apprenticeshop was one of the first ‘woodenboat’ institutions and lead the way in the woodenboat renaissance in the US and worldwide.

No mention Chicane is a Museum - in fact it appears they intend to Charter it once rebuilt.

Charter Company ?????

Old 07-20-2012, 04:39 AM   #8
Admiral

Ancient history. They don't mention when, or if, Chicane's restoration was ever completed, and the term "currently under construction" implies that it isn't. In fact my initial understanding of that phrase was that they were building a replica of her for the purposes of charter operations.

One could sanely assume the work has been finished after 22 years though, in which case it would be their one and only charter yacht. So far all we have established is that their website is singularly uninformative. Send them an email if you're really serious.

Rob

Old 07-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #9

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Umm.. I repeat. They. Are. Not. A. Charter.Company. They. Are. Boatbuilders.

Repeat after me: They are not a charter company they are boatbuilders.

Their website starts with that very clear fact: "The Bermuda Yacht Company is a family-run business based in Bermuda with a sister company in South Africa (Bermuda Yachts ZA). It specializes in the creation of wooden and wood/epoxy yachts of distinction from the past and the future."

Their website goes on with some discussion of how the boats are "intended for our charter business" but there's no reason whatsoever to believe that the charter business carries the same name. This is a family operated "lifestyle" business--they've probably got all sorts of little ventures going.

If you're interested in chartering one of their vessels, email them and ask for the contact info and website for their charter business--not for their boatbuilding business which is what you're looking at right now.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
Ocean Senior Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Umm.. I repeat. They. Are. Not. A. Charter.Company. They. Are. Boatbuilders.

Repeat after me: They are not a charter company they are boatbuilders.

Their website starts with that very clear fact: "The Bermuda Yacht Company is a family-run business based in Bermuda with a sister company in South Africa (Bermuda Yachts ZA). It specializes in the creation of wooden and wood/epoxy yachts of distinction from the past and the future."

Their website goes on with some discussion of how the boats are "intended for our charter business" but there's no reason whatsoever to believe that the charter business carries the same name. This is a family operated "lifestyle" business--they've probably got all sorts of little ventures going.

If you're interested in chartering one of their vessels, email them and ask for the contact info and website for their charter business--not for their boatbuilding business which is what you're looking at right now.

Fair winds,
NOT A REPEAT:

There appears to be two Companies - Yes - The sister Company in South Africa doing the Build ,77 Bermuda and "The Bermuda Yacht Company Ltd" based in Bermuda. It's unclear wether the bermuda yacht company Ltd in bermuda actual do boat building. It's more logical that it is the charter company from when they did chartering with Chicane before the rebuild / restoration. Check the Photo album and can see it has been completly rebuilt and restored, and it is probably being chartered NOW!

Ouote from the web site.

"Chicane was also referenced in Woodenboat issue (July / August 2009) in which the legendary Olin Stevens was reported to have stated that the Chicane restoration was one of the finest he had ever seen!"

Their Web sites states visit frequently for updates and their facebook posting states the same but no updates for the last 12 months.

The only assumption left now!! is that they have gone broke and are down and not in bussiness anymore or they are not down NOW!!.
? ? ? ?

May the wind on your back be not your own:

:

Tags
bermuda