Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-11-2007, 04:02 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Home Port: Ballard
Vessel Name: VAGABON

We had a great time in the San Juan's with our friends from Colorado. We sailed to Roche Harbor the first night, then onto Victoria the second night. I did well with the Hunter 40 we had chartered. I would not buy a Hunter.

My wife did really well. She stepped up and sailed and brought her into the dock several times without a problem. Helped on the navigation as well.

I have noticed the older I get the more important my bed has become. I have read several of the Pardey books about spartan cruising. I dont want to make soup out of old shoe leather, unless I actually have to.

Do you guys on these long journeys upgrade your sleeping surfaces? What has worked well for you?

Duckwheat

Old 10-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Long passages!!! I am doing it for short. That bunk is just to shallow and hard to make it a real pleasure to sleep. I have tried the 1/2 backpacking foam and it helped but not the best. Going for something thicker, maybe 1 1/2 close cell.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckwheat View Post
Do you guys on these long journeys upgrade your sleeping surfaces? What has worked well for you?

Duckwheat
Check out http://www.nontoxic.com/latexmattress/index.html
Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Some time ago, I faced the same problem. I was going to spend a fortune on having a custom made innerspring, but to get it into the aft cab of my centre cockpit vessel, would mean cutting a big hole in the deck. Then I looked at different arrangements to support the mattress...springy slats, spring arrangements....then someone on this forum steered me toward 'memory' foam.

I have a standard foam mattress. the bottom 70mm thickness is dense foam, that is glued to 50mm softer foam. It was still like sleeping on concrete. I have since covered it with 50mm of memory foam encased in a button quilted cover. It provides exceptional comfort. Memory foam is used in hospitals for bedridden patients. It's unique qualities prevent bedsores.

It is quite expensive for a sheet (2m x 1.5m), but it truly is an excellent investment. As Richard points out, latex makes a wonderful mattress...but it is e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

I was lucky I inherited a Tempurpedic mattress, memory foam. Still I find it a little bit soft, but my back has improved significantly since I replaced the futon mattress the boat came with.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:10 AM   #6
Ensign

Quote:

Duckwheat
I am not a cruiser yet but I have been sleeping on foam-on-plywood for 25 years.

I have a problem back too.

I buy foam in two densities (hard 3" under softer 4") from a local mattress maker every 5-6 years.

Last time it was $350.00 (US).

6' X 7'

The memory foam is the best and I bought a 3" portion to put on top. It is nice but it is

heavy

warmer

expensive.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:41 AM   #7
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Tempurpedic mattress changed my life! We are working on a version for the V-birth now.

I would not buy a Hunter.

I wouldn't even charter one!
Old 10-12-2007, 01:54 AM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
We had a great time in the San Juan's with our friends from Colorado. We sailed to Roche Harbor the first night, then onto Victoria the second night. I did well with the Hunter 40 we had chartered. I would not buy a Hunter.

My wife did really well. She stepped up and sailed and brought her into the dock several times without a problem. Helped on the navigation as well.

I have noticed the older I get the more important my bed has become. I have read several of the Pardey books about spartan cruising. I dont want to make soup out of old shoe leather, unless I actually have to.

Duckwheat
Check out "Froll Sleep System". http://www.latsandatts.net/latsTV/fr...s-boatshow.php

Might be of help.

Mark
Old 10-12-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
Lieutenant

My partner has a great deal of influence on the quality of my sleep. If she is restless or feeling particularly unloved. Well you just have to ride out the storm! (no matter how many reefs you put in the system) (Lol)
Old 10-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
My windows cannot open those files (the little ads).

they are .w4v What is that?
They are very large files in the MEGA BYTES - not helpful
Old 10-13-2007, 01:34 AM   #12
Ensign

Quote:
My windows cannot open those files (the little ads).

they are .w4v What is that?
Try this link: http://www.comfortmarineandrv.com/Home

Mark
Old 10-13-2007, 02:22 AM   #13
Ensign

I did google it and find it but there were a couple of other things I wanted to look at too.

Guess I better finance a trip to a boat show.

Miami, lets see 250 a night...........I need at least two, maybe three, food, parking.....not sure I can swing it.

So why bother - if you can't afford the show then you surely can't afford a boat, right?
Old 10-13-2007, 10:53 AM   #14
Admiral

Quote:
Miami, lets see 250 a night...........

So why bother - if you can't afford the show then you surely can't afford a boat, right?
You can stay in the Miami area for under $100 a night. Try Red Roof Inn - www.redroof.com The one in Ft. Lauderdale is convenient and reasonably nice. And anyway, it's only to sleep in, right?

There are even cheaper places. Only once, in a place near Annapolis, did we find a cheap place that was nigh on unliveable, but for one night, we survived!

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:37 AM   #15
Lieutenant

Home Port: Ballard
Vessel Name: VAGABON

Have any of you tried or have the Froli sleep system? It sounds interesting, but I would trust someones opinion that has tried it. Not that expensive. I am going to go to the Seattle Boat show, maybe they will have something like it there.

DW
Old 10-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #16
Rear Admiral

Terapy,

If you are in South Beach on a Friday night. Go to Alton, and Lincoln Rd right next to the Lincoln Theatre is a Sushi restaraunt. For the price of 2 drinks all the sushi, dumpling, vegetables, etc etc, you can eat free. Turn south on Alton, and for lunch anyday is a fantastic Columbian Restaraunt, next to Dairy Queen. Enough on the plate for 2 meals, and the soup to go will feed 2 also. In between these 2 is a Mexican place that serves a really cheap breakfast that is plentiful too. All within a few blocks of the show.

Leave your house early, get home late, and still enjoy the show. A tank of gas, and a few inexpensive meals out, or take a lunch with you. The more you observe, and experience the better qualified you will be to make a good decision.....good luck!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #17
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Terapy,

If you are in South Beach on a Friday night. Go to Alton, and Lincoln Rd right next to the Lincoln Theatre is a Sushi restaraunt. For the price of 2 drinks all the sushi, dumpling, vegetables, etc etc, you can eat free. Turn south on Alton, and for lunch anyday is a fantastic Columbian Restaraunt, next to Dairy Queen. Enough on the plate for 2 meals, and the soup to go will feed 2 also. In between these 2 is a Mexican place that serves a really cheap breakfast that is plentiful too. All within a few blocks of the show.

good luck!
Sounds great.

Thank you.

Also thanks Jeanne. Red roof it may well be!

PS. sorry for the derail.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #19
Ensign

We are in the process of outfitting our boat to cruise southern Flordia this winter. We purchased a temperutic "knock off" at Over Stock. com cut it with a bread knife to fit the v berth. Cost was around $500.00.