Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
Ensign

I'm in the process of training, researching boat designs and charting the cost to get cruising. A bit overwhelming to find and sift through all the info available.

I'm looking for a blue water live-aboard, good for solo-sailing, with a design that holds its value over time. Aiming for 30 feet or so to begin with.

Enough space to provision and live in but a workable size that’s not overpowered for single-handing.

Anyone have the perfect yacht design that fits the bill to recommend? (I know nothing's perfect but since I am starting from scratch, might as well aim for ideal to begin with.)

Any advice is gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cruising Kitty View Post

I'm in the process of training, researching boat designs and charting the cost to get cruising. A bit overwhelming to find and sift through all the info available.

I'm looking for a blue water live-aboard, good for solo-sailing, with a design that holds its value over time. Aiming for 30 feet or so to begin with.

Enough space to provision and live in but a workable size that’s not overpowered for single-handing.

Anyone have the perfect yacht design that fits the bill to recommend? (I know nothing's perfect but since I am starting from scratch, might as well aim for ideal to begin with.)

Any advice is gratefully received. Thanks in advance.
Firstly off, Welcome to Cruiser Log ! Feel free to ask any questions - they may have been answered before - no matter.

In trying get a fix on what you need, need to know a few things :-

#1 Budget to purchase Boat?

#2 Annual maintenance Budget?

#3 Where will you keep the boat when not cruising?

#4 When cruising - where? Offshore, Coastal,

#5 Will you work from the boat?

#6 What maintenance skills - mechanical, electrical etc ?

#7 What sailing experience?

#8 What hull material - GRP, Steel, Aluminium, Wood?

#9 Air conditioning or Heating, or neither?

#10 how many berths,

#11 How many Heads (toilets)

Old 09-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Rear Admiral

I'm certainly no expert, but...

I believe a WESTSAIL 32 fits your criteria.

Happy Hunting,

Kirk
Old 09-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Commander

Freedom 28, Freedom 32, Freedom 33 (Basically any cruising boat with a freestanding mast built by TPI...)

Watkins 32/33

CSY 33
Old 09-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Firstly off, Welcome to Cruiser Log ! Feel free to ask any questions - they may have been answered before - no matter.

In trying get a fix on what you need, need to know a few things :-

#1 Budget to purchase Boat?

#2 Annual maintenance Budget?

#3 Where will you keep the boat when not cruising?

#4 When cruising - where? Offshore, Coastal,

#5 Will you work from the boat?

#6 What maintenance skills - mechanical, electrical etc ?

#7 What sailing experience?

#8 What hull material - GRP, Steel, Aluminium, Wood?

#9 Air conditioning or Heating, or neither?

#10 how many berths,

#11 How many Heads (toilets)
Thanks, MMNETSEA. I'm at the build a budget stage and aiming to bang through it one step at a time. You ask great, but difficult questions. At this point, I am looking for the passionate favourites for the yacht designs - there's always an interesting reason why people feel strongly about their boat.

Here's my best stab at the answers as much as I know them now:

#3 Where will you keep the boat when not cruising? ...out of town marina

#4 When cruising - where? ...Offshore - yes, ultimately. Coastal - immediately.

#5 Will you work from the boat? ...Yes, online commerce.

#6 What maintenance skills ...mechanical, electrical etc ? I'm mechanically 'oriented' but not usefully trained. Plan to get the basics enough to do maintenance, but probably will never rewire a whole boat from scratch.

#7 What sailing experience? ...studying for Yachtmaster level. Won't leave till I get it.

#8 What hull material - GRP, Steel, Aluminium, Wood? ...GRP or wood.

#9 Air conditioning or Heating, or neither? ...A/C - no. Heating - would like to keep this option open.

#10 how many berths, ...4

#11 How many Heads (toilets) ...... 1

Any for the hardest questions, the budget:

Right now, my goal is to find out what my own budget brackets are by adding cost from the bottom up. I know there are trade-offs between age of boat and price. And age of boat has implications for safety and ocean-worthiness.

My biggest priority is to be ready for mostly coastal sailing, but to also include some ocean crossings ultimately. And to get there with a generous margin of being super-prepared for whatever I do.

What I 'save' on boat spend (by buying at 30ft, choosing wisely etc) will add to my length of time cruising. And visa versa. I'm in my 40s so can extend the horizon a bit and adjust as necessary.

Can it be done for less than 100k$ including refit before heading off? I hope so. Can it be done for less than 50k$ including refit? Hmm. If yes, I am very eager to hear about it!

Thanks again in advance for all advice,
Old 09-13-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

Hi Ensign,

Have a look into the Baby Badger by Jay Benford. These are ply so" relatively" easy to build and can be made fairly quickly. Junk rigged is a possibility which can save lots of money and apparently easy to sail. http://www.benford.us/index.html?dories/

Roberto Barros has beautiful designs as well...http://www.yachtdesign.com.br/02_ing.../desc31-2.html again ply construction but because they are fibreglassed they are very low maintenance. Roberto is a great guy and would be fun to have him helping.

Here's my favorite by Paul Gartfield.....http://store.gartsideboats.com/colle...ter-design-145 May be a bit more involved than the above and a bit shorter but wow what a beauty.

If you want to get going sooner I would suggest the Benford Baby Badger as a keen person should be able to build it in a bit like a year or so. I know an old guy here who built something like theGartfield 8.23 metre yacht and it took him 15 years! And he's very skillful, done a beautiful job on it.

Roberto Barros has a new 25 footer that looks really easy to make. it looks roomy as well and has an electric motor. I'd love to be in the position to make one of these.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Admiral

We have lots and lots of buying/building boats threads on Cruiser Log. Here's my contribution to a thread regarding a home-built hard-chined plywood boat CACCIA ALLA VOLPE

When you start looking at various boats, you might find it helpful to do a search on a particular make/model to see what/who has commented on it earlier. Often that's faster ("instant") gratification.

One of the benefits of completing your profile is that we don't have to ask a lot of questions before feeling comfortable with an answer. Where you are presently located is important information, since we are a far-flung group and pointing you to Singapore when you're in Brazil is rather futile. Tell us where are you now, and maybe somebody in our group has already seen what you might like and can point you there.

Good luck!

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cruising Kitty View Post

Thanks, MMNETSEA. I'm at the build a budget stage and aiming to bang through it one step at a time. You ask great, but difficult questions. At this point, I am looking for the passionate favourites for the yacht designs - there's always an interesting reason why people feel strongly about their boat.

Here's my best stab at the answers as much as I know them now:

#3 Where will you keep the boat when not cruising? ...out of town marina

#4 When cruising - where? ...Offshore - yes, ultimately. Coastal - immediately.

#5 Will you work from the boat? ...Yes, online commerce.

#6 What maintenance skills ...mechanical, electrical etc ? I'm mechanically 'oriented' but not usefully trained. Plan to get the basics enough to do maintenance, but probably will never rewire a whole boat from scratch.

#7 What sailing experience? ...studying for Yachtmaster level. Won't leave till I get it.

#8 What hull material - GRP, Steel, Aluminium, Wood? ...GRP or wood.

#9 Air conditioning or Heating, or neither? ...A/C - no. Heating - would like to keep this option open.

#10 how many berths, ...4

#11 How many Heads (toilets) ...... 1

Any for the hardest questions, the budget:

Right now, my goal is to find out what my own budget brackets are by adding cost from the bottom up. I know there are trade-offs between age of boat and price. And age of boat has implications for safety and ocean-worthiness.

My biggest priority is to be ready for mostly coastal sailing, but to also include some ocean crossings ultimately. And to get there with a generous margin of being super-prepared for whatever I do.

What I 'save' on boat spend (by buying at 30ft, choosing wisely etc) will add to my length of time cruising. And visa versa. I'm in my 40s so can extend the horizon a bit and adjust as necessary.

Can it be done for less than 100k$ including refit before heading off? I hope so. Can it be done for less than 50k$ including refit? Hmm. If yes, I am very eager to hear about it!

Thanks again in advance for all advice,
It is probably common cause that there is no such thing as a "The Perfect 30' Yacht Design," but, the same observation could be made for any size of yacht.

There are so many components on a sail boat that have to work perfectly individually and in harmony with each other. Just one small component out of synchrony with another can mean the difference between the boat sailing well to barely moving or going somewhere it shouldn't, (irrespective of the skills being applied by the crew)

The idiom "Horses for Courses" has a special significance for sailboat designs.

When it comes to OfF-Shore/Blue Water cruisers compared to In-Shore Coastal Sailboats, then choice of Hull, Keel, Ballest and Rudder should depend on where the skipper intends to venture. The choice of Rig may also be determined by usage - air space being a factor when navigating inter-coastal waterways. The sails on a ketch will be smaller than those of a sloop of the same size and therefore easier to handle when the weather turns bad.

Taking into account the strong probability that coastal cruising is far more hazardous than a passage made off-shore. These hazards include a lee shore, anchor dragging, rocks, reefs and wrecks, on-shore wind, shoals. shipping lanes and fog. If that probability is accepted, then one should carefully understand that if coastal cruising is the medium to long term objective, then start the process of choosing a horse for the course. The boat's auxiliary engine must start and run as required. The reduction gearing must be such that the engine's KW output is not lost before it reaches the propeller. When reversing in close quarters prop-wash must be anticipated and managed. When sailing in-shore, reliance on an auto-pilot alone requires an uncertain confidence.

The basics of maintenance are not enough - what is required is real self-sufficiency to diagnose faults, to repair effectively vital components with available tools and spares.

Not just the engine and power train , but also how to jury rig, to repair sails, stays etc. How to clear a rope or net from the propeller.

If one finds a boat that has at least 5 years life in each of these major components parts :-

#1 The Hull, Keel and Rudder.

#2 The Engine and Power-train.

#3 The Standing rigging.

#4 The sails.

And if that boat fits into the Coastal Cruiser category - and if it matches personal needs and if the budget is not only sufficient to purchase outright but also to maintain it for 5 years, go for it.