Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-19-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
a45wg

Default Thomas Colvin gazelle 42 Advice sought

I am seriously thinking of getting a nice shiney new Colvin Gazelle 42. Plans are on their way, and a trip to the boat yard is also nearly booked, but does anyone have any first hand expierience of these yachts that they could share with me please ?

Anyone planning on Visiting Oman (or cruising towards Yemen/up into the Gulf) are by the way is most welcome to contact me for any local info/knowledge. I can even do local weather reports via HF should you need it

Many thanks

Tim
Old 11-22-2005, 06:42 AM   #2
tel
Lieutenant

Tim,

I don't know anything about how the Colvin Gazelles sail, other than to say there have been a lot of them built around the world. I noticed one for sale the other day - fairly cheaply I thought - at Pippen Marine in Singapore. It is said to have been built and sailed by Colvin himself, so it may be a good one. They have a web site. Have a look. Cheers.....Tel

Old 11-22-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
a45wg

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by tel

Tim,

noticed one for sale the other day - fairly cheaply I thought - at Pippen Marine in Singapore. It is said to have been built and sailed by Colvin himself, so it may be a good one. They have a web site. Have a look. Cheers.....Tel
Tel many thanks, I have seen this yacht - and you are 100% correct, it looks nice, clean and in good condition. I was trying to find out what owning one was like; It seems everyon who has a Roberts Spray likes writing a blog about it - I just can not find anything for the Gazelle - except masses about junk rigs - a subject I keep wrestling in my mind about -

The Ship yard making then new is quite close by to Oman - it is in Cochin so we will fly there later this year, and have a look firsthand, and then make a decision.

I just am trying to arm myself with as much "wish we had done" or "a larger XXXX would have been better" type information to assist in the fitting out process.

Thanks for the reply

Tim
Old 11-23-2005, 02:32 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to Chetan

hi

does the yard in cochin go by the name of kondo seiko?

chetan
Old 11-23-2005, 03:36 PM   #5
a45wg

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by Chetan

does the yard in cochin go by the name of kondo seiko?
Yes thats the yard. Have you delt with them ? Seen their workman ship ? - It looks impressive on the Web - Currently planning Jan 10th for a trip down to Kerla to see them.

Any comments regarding them as builders ?

Tim
Old 11-24-2005, 09:57 AM   #6
Ensign

Tim,

I built and owned a Colvin Gazelle, one of a group at the time, mostly down in Melbourne, Australia. Happy to share my thoughts on any aspect of the design and performance, but have a meeting in about 5 minutes so must go. Perhaps it would be more convenient to discuss via email at greater length, which would also enable me to forward photos, articles etc? I presume you've read Colvin's two little publications on cruising designs and cruising generally, with a fair bit of coverage on Gazelle, which was one of his 'favourites'. Wait to hear from you.

John
Old 11-24-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to Chetan

hi

i am not experienced enough to give you feedback on the gazelle being manufactured here. however i know that the yard has sold some in europe. apologies. chetan
Old 12-12-2005, 04:29 PM   #8
a45wg

"I built and owned a Colvin Gazelle, one of a group at the time, mostly down in Melbourne, Australia. Happy to share my thoughts on any"

John please can you contact me off lust at deepstar@omantel.net.om

Many thanks

Tim
Old 02-14-2006, 12:45 PM   #9
Ensign

Tim,

I have just found this discussion. I have owned a Junk rigged Gazelle for nearly five years now. Would be happy to correspond with you or anyone else about these great boats. Have also had some contact with the Cochin group though by now you will probably know more about them than I do.

Cheers Alan.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:34 AM   #10
a45wg

Just a note for the Topic

I did not buy a Colvin - they did look OK, but there were some other issues.

I now have a Roberts C45

Happy sailing

Tim