Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: brisbane
Default to old???

Hi,
I am 60 and will be retiring next year.
Ok...here goes..... i want to buy a catamaran and go coastal cruising. I will have around 200,000 to buy a cat. I have no sailing expereince at all but have been at sea for over 30 years on board various ships big and small all over the world As a seismic mechanic. I want a comfortable sea worthy cat which is easily single handled . My cruising area will be the east coast of Australia. Am l dreaming ???Any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers,
pedros

Old 11-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa

Pedro, it's a no-brainer:

You only become as old as you want to feel you are. Plenty examples of this abound.

Now here's a little caveat: If there are things that you absolutely and positively cannot do by yourself any more but which still are mission critical, figure out plans B and C for those. Add winches, mast steps, modified systems perhaps. ( A lithe 36 year old wench is ideal but is hard to find )

Your budget allows quite a nice boat, not necessarily a cat though. But that is a different kettle of fish. I was told a 45' cutter was too big for one man at 65... balderdash. As long as you are fit and strong and healthy you should not have big problems. If you do, perhaps get a younger crew to do some of the heavy lifting. Most older guys are able to overcome the advantage of youth with stealth, experience and cunning. Nothing new there. Applies to boats just as well.

With your general sea experience I'd say go right ahead but do try to be smart about it. Even If you die at least you'll die happy. You'll even cut out the doctors, undertakers and the Neptune Society. Just thinking of their faces at such sad event will certainly put a smile on my face when I go.

Ivo s/v Linnupesa

Old 11-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: the boat
Vessel Name: Skipping Stone

I'm 66 and voyaging on a 53' monohull with my girlfriend. We've put over 4k miles on her this year; the boat, NOT the girlfriend.
I sailed this boat for over a year alone, before I met my lady, but I do have roller furling on every sail.
We visited another couple aboard a 50' Bristol pilot cutter (gaff rig) this evening and he is 76 and she's not much younger.
The one thing I might mention, though; you should be extremely cautious about doing some physical things. I'm finding that as I get older, it is unwise to do things as I have been doing them for the last 50 years.
For example, when I was single handing, I pulled up to my mooring and over ran it by just a few feet. Instead of dropping the mooring line and coming around again, I just hung on, waiting for her to drift back. A bit of twist in my body while holding a 38 ton boat (as I'd done hundreds of times before), left me with a few stressed muscles in my side that ached seriously for several months.
You must take into account your age, no matter how healthy you are and really think if what you are doing is within your body's capabilities.
Just because you've done it many times before (at 40, or 50, or even 60) does not mean you should be doing it that way now.
Little things, like electric winches and roller furling sails can make sailing at this age a pleasure instead of a chore. Do not forget a very good quality autopilot; it is the one crew member that neither requires food nor drink and never argues or complains.
As for sailing experience, people have been sailing for thousands of years and it is not rocket science. I would suggest a few good books, my favorite being Royce's Sailing Illustrated and possibly a few small boat sailing lessons. When you have your boat, ask a yacht broker to recommend a professional delivery captain familiar with the boat you have and have him sail with you until you feel capable of setting off on your own, maybe a few weeks?
I say, go for it and have a blast.
facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

It's easily do-able. I suggest you develop a not too strenuous regime of flexibility and resistance exercise and when anchored, take a reasonably brisk 30 minute walk along the beach.

Some few years ago, there was an Aussie who set up a business in the Philippines building glass over ply cats. They were exceptional value, I think 42' and were built to sailaway stage for about $145,000. I just had a quick gander on the net, but can't find a link. If I have any success, I'll post the details here.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Captain, Sailboat Reboot

Home Port: None
Vessel Name: Reboot
Send a message via AIM to svReboot

I solo sail at 66 and have crossed the Atlantic solo. My 75 year old friend is in the middle of his second solo circumnavigation. Go for it!
Web Site: https://www.sailboatreboot.com
Blog:https://blog.sailboatreboot.com
svReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Ensign

Home Port: Phoenix

60 - no problem! Catamaran - problem! as the following video will attest. Monohull sailboat vs catamaran powerboat. Giant Wave destroys sailboat - YouTube. This video says it ALL!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: No Worries

Pedros,

Age is not a problem as many people will attest to.

Beware of ignorance and peoples biased and misinformed views
which always seem to appear when you mention catamarans.

As a full time seaman I am sure you know that anyway
Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpLifter View Post
Catamaran - problem! as the following video will attest. Monohull sailboat vs catamaran powerboat. This video says it ALL!
The competence of both skippers is an unknown quantity. Cats and monos designed for the same purposes are both safe. Comparing a 25' keel boat with an 18' runabout and thereby justifying a mistaken belief that cats are therefore a problem in big seas, is just a little bit silly. I am sure most experienced sailors would see the folly of your assertion.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
Lieutenant

Home Port: the boat
Vessel Name: Skipping Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpLifter View Post
60 - no problem! Catamaran - problem! as the following video will attest. Monohull sailboat vs catamaran powerboat. Giant Wave destroys sailboat - YouTube. This video says it ALL!
What an absolutely ridiculous statement backed up by an even more ridiculous video. I am in no way a fan of most cats as offshore cruising boats, but the OP stated specifically he was only going coastal.
Just exactly what does that power cat have to do with a 40ish foot sailing cat? Kinda like comparing a sports car with an RV, don't you think?
facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
Ensign

Home Port: Lake Tahoe, California
Default Never too old

You two OLD timers slay me!! HONESTLY, had me laughing out loud ;-)) Gotta love your wit & humor!! BUT more so your wisdom & practicality!! Such good advice you all so willingly share & dish out OH SO WELL!! Hell Pedros, life only gets better & you only live once. Follow your gut, trust your heart, & heed the very excellent advice from the likes of Capta, Linnupesa, & Auzzee!! They're the real thing......"OLD SCHOOL"!! Of course that's just an opinion from some ole wench who knows nothin about sailin ;-)) Be safe out there ya'll Good winds & good day to ya
Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa
Exclamation What a schmoozie you are!

Watta siren

Clearly you were made for the sea. However, diction needs to be preserved and you do not want to show any vintage years, good as they are.

So please, the correct "with-it" speak for "laughing out load" is LOL

U gt mi dft?

Ivo on s/v Linnupesa (where lysdexia and slanguage conundrums rule and rue)
Old 11-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Ensign

I've been sailing since I was 12 years old - lakes, offshore, coastal, bay, you name it. I sailed a catamaran exclusively for 10 years.

This is not a discussion about cat v mono but about a 60 year old sailing NOVICE who wants to go coastal cruising in a $200k cat (If there is such a thing) which he wants to SINGLE HAND!! So breath deeply and tell me what happens to a cat in a puff when the helm is unattended - as it occasionally MUST be when one single hands? That's right - it goes over!

Here's what happened to Oracles multi million dollar 45' catamaran on San Francisco bay on October 16,2012 while being sailed by cadre of EXPERT sailors!

How long do you guess we'll have to wait for this 45 footer to self right after sailing in these protected bay waters?

Her's the video Video - digits: Oracle Boat Capsizes - WSJ.com
Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #13
Ensign

Default um ok

Thanks for all the positive feed back on my post. I appreciate you all taking the time replying to this novice sailor

The negative stuff ..... well it hasn't put me off .

Stumplifter ?...guess you must have been flipped a few times in your ten years of Sailing cats. Oh yea, is there no such thing as a $200,000 catamaran??

Cheers
Pedros
Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
Ensign

Default Catamaran choices in California under $200k

Assuming your home port of Brisbane is in California (rather than Australia) I found 2 to chose from in the state at your price point. Although they are both 38 footers. Here are 2 sites that you should be aware of - Boats for Sale, New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com and Yacht Survey Online: David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor. One will give you a sense of asking prices in your market. The other will advise you what to watch out for and how to properly purchase any vessel. Personally, having sold my last boat a year ago, I've been actively searching for a new (to me) 40 footer since. The bad news - California boat prices reflect transportation costs (most sailboats are now manufactured in Southeast) and the historic scarcity of slips in California. The good news - Slips have, for the first time in many years, become readily available in all sizes anywhere on the west coast and, due to the economy, selling prices are coming more in line with east coast prices. Good Luck
Old 11-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
Ensign

Default One more site you should take a look at for boat values.

I always check N.A.D.A. Home Page to find out what boats are actually selling for in the US. Your banker will be looking at it when he determines the loan value of the boat. While condition is everything, in spite of many claims to the contrary, it is a rare boat indeed that is maintained in "like new" condition. Particularly sailboats, which by their nature must sit outside year round exposed to the elements.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #16
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Yeah, you're too old. I won't be 60 until February, after that it's hopeless. Give up now.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #17
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
Yeah, you're too old. I won't be 60 until February, after that it's hopeless. Give up now.
Found your inflatable yet mate ??
Old 11-17-2012, 02:31 AM   #18
Commander

Home Port: Hobart
Vessel Name: Honey Bee

Pedros, at 63 I've just returned to Hobart from a winter cruise to the Whitsundays. Two years ago we (my wife & I) took our boat (12m monohull) to New Caledonia for the winter. Next year, all being well, we will cruise off into the Pacific again. A very high percentage of cruising sailors we have met recently are our age or older.

It seems to me that the main barriers to your plan are health, fitness and attitude. If they aren't barriers, then no problem. If attitude is a problem - "I'm too old", "I don't think I can do it" - then its not going to happen.

If your budget runs to $200K, you are probably going to get a much better monohull than cat. The cat prices are pretty high. Cats are more common the further north you go (Qld) and not that many cross Bass Strait (there are exceptions). Choose a boat for your planned cruising grounds.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
Ensign

[QUOTE=svhoneybee;36252]Pedros, at 63 I've just returned to Hobart from a winter cruise to the Whitsundays. Two years ago we (my wife & I) took our boat (12m monohull) to New Caledonia for the winter. Next year, all being well, we will cruise off into the Pacific again. A very high percentage of cruising sailors we have met recently are our age or older.

It seems to me that the main barriers to your plan are health, fitness and attitude. If they aren't barriers, then no problem. If attitude is a problem - "I'm too old", "I don't think I can do it" - then its not going to happen.

If your budget runs to $200K, you are probably going to get a much better monohull than cat. The cat prices are pretty high. Cats are more common the further north you go (Qld) and not that many cross Bass Strait (there are exceptions). Choose a boat for your planned cruising ground

Planned cruising ground is north Queensland. I will have to decide what type of yacht i want. Have done a lot of research on catamarans, maybe i should be looking at monohulls
Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #20
Commander

Home Port: Hobart
Vessel Name: Honey Bee

Sounds like you have answered your own question with regards to age. That probably means you need to start a new discussion about what sort of boat you need to go cruising. Some questions to decide include where you will cruise, how many permanent crew on board, will there be occasional extras, is draft a big deal for you, what is your ongoing budget for maintenance and for living, will you use marinas a lot, are you ever going to go off shore. Don't forget that buying the boat is only the first step in emptying your bank balance. Allow 10 - 20% of purchase price each year for maintenance and expect to spend a big chunk immediately after purchase to fix problems and change things to suit your needs. The good news is that it is a buyers market, the bad news is that there is a lot of lemons out there. Good luck.