Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-19-2007, 09:51 PM   #21
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Only rarely do I have the opportunity to be an expert. I have been making my living through writing since 1967. A printed work stimulates the imagination most and requires the least amount of situation development. A cinematic work stimulates the imagination least and requires a greater degree of 'set-up'.

NAME DROP ALERT!!!!!

I interviewed Frederick Forsythe for a TV show many years ago. He made a comment which I later saw repeated by Clive Cussler when he was speaking on US TV for a similar show. The essence of the comment was that 99% of readers want a good story and do not concern themselves with the accuracy of the premise...as long as it is entertaining. The remaining 1%, they claim, are the people who write letters about the colour of the paint on a particular warship, or the model number of a particular car being wrong.

I assisted in the development of a telemovie script about a love story, set during the time of the total destruction in 1974 of Darwin, by cyclone Tracy. The work was a great success. I remember being confronted by the son of a public official who was angry that his eccentric father's car bore the incorrect number plate.

I reiterate my earlier comments and paraphrase those of Stephen.....For the vast majority of people, entertainment is paramount. For a tiny and therefore insignificant proportion of the people, accuracy is important. This is why accuracy is a general rather than a specific consideration, and why there is a difference between fact and fiction, tale and documentary.

I think Helen's vehicle is excellent and if the ghost of Admiral Lord Nelson himself visited the seafaring wrinklies, it wouldn't upset her plot unless it wasn't entertaining....Probability is simply unimportant and becomes less important as emotions grow stronger. Such is the essence of fiction writing.

Now...back to work on becoming an expert sailor, a far more difficult task requiring a much higher degree of technical accuracy.

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:04 PM   #22
Rear Admiral

Helen,

Auzzee inspired another thought. That being BELIEVABILITY verses ENTERTAINMENT, verses a DOCUMENTARY. It is all a matter of what you are writing, your writing style, your intent, and how you label and market it, and if you have intentions of selling it or having it produced.

Jeff

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:23 PM   #23
Admiral

Public perception is the only consideration. Marketing targets the prospective audience. Believability is 100% perception. I cannot think of one movie from this current century which is factually believable, but the entertainment values are almost unmatched.

Go and see the new movie Transformers. Unbelievable in every sense, but it will be entertaining and the story will be told in such a credible manner that we will all become afraid of Mack trucks.

Cheers

David

Old 06-20-2007, 01:41 AM   #24

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
True.....but what does it matter? It is a novel after all. Novels do not have to be believable; they ought to be entertainable and perhaps even educational in terms of language and grammar.

Aye

Stephen
I just see how this could be a really good movie (think "Fried Green Tomatoes" with Kathi Bates, speaking of nursing homes...) vs fluff (think RV starring Robin Williams).

There are movies for everyone

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:40 AM   #25
Ensign

I wanted to quickly mention that I’m still in the character development stage. I too have toyed with the, “nursing home” versus “assisted living” options… but again, this is the movies, and Hollywood can do ANYTHING. I feel I can make this work from a nursing home perspective. Not everyone who ends up in nursing homes is invalids. My main concern is to have the “elements” of believability.

But as Auzzee pointed out, (and correctly so) MOST people aren’t too concerned with details. Of course, as I progress further, I WILL need marine technical advice. I have a military shipyard background (Navy) but minimal sailing experience.

I think the story has a lot of potential for emotional drama and comedy --- A movie with a message and something we can ALL relate to, whether or not we sail. I was very happy to see that many on this board share the same feelings about “growing old” and wanting to “live the dream” and/or seek adventure till the very end.

I just read on Fox news tonight about that 62 year old man who choked to death a pouncing Bobcat. As the saying goes, FACTS are stranger than FICTION! Also, I do believe the script could use a love interest as well. Why not, right?

To answer a prior question, YES, the intent of this script is for actual production.

Thanks again for all your input! I’ve been enjoying these stories.

Helen
Old 06-20-2007, 05:57 AM   #26
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwriter View Post
Also, I do believe the script could use a love interest as well. Why not, right?

Helen
Ah, the love card. Always a winner!

As far as being as close to reality as possible is concerned I believe that if the story itself is good enough then people will certainly not get hung up on technicalities. We, except for the 1% previously mentioned, get into technicalities when the story itself does not have sufficient merit to cover the technical flaws. In a way, it is a bit like a vulgar joke. Providing there is sufficient humour to cover the vulgarity then it is acceptable.

Go ahead with your idea Helen. Writie your story and get beck to the forum when you need technical support

Aye

Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:14 PM   #27
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cape Town

Helen,

During my adventures around the world I have come across a number of folk in their 70’s and early 80’s still living their dream. One elderly lady I met in Trinidad last year told me that when she could not climb up the companionway anymore, she would consider living on land – she had already had a hip replacement and was in her early 80’s!

Then there was Al, a single hander who circumnavigated when 70 after having both a kidney transplant and a heart transplant. I never met him but had daily radio chats with him whilst sailing between Panama and Tahiti. If you type +“Catalyst”+”N7PCY” into Google, you will be able to find info on his circumnavigation.

I am sure you will find enough ideas from true write-ups on the internet to weave a good script. There are many “blogs” on the Internet to read – have a look at some on www.sailblogs.com – good luck and please let us know how things progress.

John
Old 09-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #28
Rear Admiral

Gallavanters, I thought of HARRY when he was described. I think he is on a Tahiti Ketch isn't he? I can still remember his smile standing on the dock alongside a much younger woman in Latitude. It seems much longer than 2 years ago, but Harry has probably been written in Latitude more than once!

When I am to feeble to sail I will gunkhole in a powerboat. Being on the water no matter what type of vessel is what is important for me.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:42 AM   #29
Lieutenant

Helen, I think the “nursing home” and escape from, is the perfect scenario for an inspiring story of rediscovery after “instituionalizement” (What a word… eh!)

Do you guys remember “One flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest” and how they escaped on a charter boat and surfed back in through that narrow cut? It was brilliant!

I can see all kinds of funny scenarios where your protagonists have to adapt and make concession to their aged limitations while becoming masters of their salty destiny.

Just keep singing ...I’m Popeye the sailor man… while writing and best of luck!
Old 02-03-2008, 05:15 AM   #30
Ensign

Hi Helen,

Age is a state of mind, If you keep fit you can go on until the very later years of your retirement, I have just turned 63 and I am planing my second Major off shore trip NZ to the MED and I have no intention of stopping for a long time yet

Graham
Old 02-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #31
Admiral

Desite the fact we are becoming a western world of 'fatties', I think improvements in medical care, supplements, an awareness of remaining active......and even vanity.....make 60 the new 40.

Years ago when war and depression, and the subsequent vitamin/mineral/protein deficiencies were affecting most of the first world populations, there was a perception that 40 was old. Health was becoming a problem at 40, we worked harder and had less time and money for recreation....indeed less reasons generally to continue to live a vibrant life, post 40.

Now, with excess dollars awaiting, there is a real expectation of a vigorous retirement. 60 is now middle age, whereas the defining boundary used to be 40.

Let's hope the practical active years continue to be pushed ever further away from the dates of our birth.

Cheers

David.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #32
Lieutenant

Having just turned 67 two days ago, and having just gotten ashore after a delivery trip three days ago, This thread is amusing.

My wife turns 45 tomorrow and we are planning some prolonged cruising this year aboard our 25 footer. I can still sail a beach cat right alongside any 30 year old.

So it ain't the age, it's the body, and fortunately mine is still in very good shape- ALL systems still ifunctionaing quite well
Old 12-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #33
Ensign

Home Port: Richards Bay
Vessel Name: Phefo
Talking Cruising is for old folk

Hi Helen,

You are right. It is all a matter of attitude.

I have always maintained that cruising is for old folk. The space on a boat is restricted and younger people just will not get enough exercise. Even we (the old) have to do something about this.

I was born in 1940 and I am building a sea boat here. I hope to launch her in a few month's time and then cruise 'open ended' and certainly with no retirement plans.

I am already adjusting my life. I have stopped drinking alcohol, I exercise and I eat healthily. I feel and am better than 5 and 10 years ago. I have also bought a computer and taught myself to make a website. It is a bit behind with updates, but never mind.

I also swim and dive, even in winter. It feels cold for me also, but it can be done.

Old? Many old people are much younger than I!

As you said. It's a matter of attitude.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #34
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

Oh, my, Hans. You just resurrected a thread dormant these four years. I'm delighted to see you are doing something interesting at 71. My father is just a dash older than you and is also in exceptional health.

I knew a guy who sailed well into his 80's, bought a fixer-upper boat at 80, and did well with it, but he had 55 years' experience to draw on.

I'm sure I''m not the only one who wants to hear how it goes for you.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #35
Lieutenant

Home Port: Ballard
Vessel Name: VAGABON
Default Oldsters

We were in Green Turtle Cay in the Abacos and had a couple in there 80's next to us. Mom was disabled. Two of us went over and helped her off the boat.

They were amazing. Had their boat very well set up for the husband to single hand.

DW