Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
Admiral

Here is one for the Britishers and the vexillologists amongst us.

A vessel visiting the UK should normaly fly the red ensign at the starboard yardarm of the formast. I have, however, during the Vietnam war, seen a US warship flying the white ensign at the yardarm, which is unusual as warships do not normaly fly courtesy ensigns. Nevertheless, it brings me to my question, a yacht beƶonging to a royal yacht club of another country when visiting the UK should fly what as a courtesy ensign? Obviously, a red ensign will not be wrong but could she, as a vessel of a royal yacht club (which in British terms would normaly have a defaced blue ensign) fly a blue ensign as a courtesy ensign?

Also, which ensign should a foreign state owned vessel (such as a coast guard cutter, customs vesel etc.) fly when visiting the UK?

Any ideas?

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: Hull
Vessel Name: Tadpole

A foreign vessel in another country's waters should fly a courtesy flag from the starboard yardarm/spreader of the foremast .... said courtesy flag is normally a small version of that country's national flag ..... therefore, it should be that a foreign vessel in British waters should fly the Union Jack & not the red ensign ... & definitely not the white ensign which is only ever flown by Royal Navy vessels .......

Even as I write this I suspect that someone more knowledgeable will probably correct me ?

Old 05-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtadpole' date='17 May 2010 - 02:39 PM View Post

A foreign vessel in another country's waters should fly a courtesy flag from the starboard yardarm/spreader of the foremast .... said courtesy flag is normally a small version of that country's national flag ..... therefore, it should be that a foreign vessel in British waters should fly the Union Jack & not the red ensign ... & definitely not the white ensign which is only ever flown by Royal Navy vessels .......

Even as I write this I suspect that someone more knowledgeable will probably correct me ?
The Red ensign should be flown and only the red ensign unless the vessel has on board a person of rank in which either the Blue Ensign may be flown (commodore of one of the royal yacht clubs, ranks this) or the White ensign, a member of the royal family is on board the vessel under such conditions. The Union Jack should never be flown as an ensign.

Now once we get things going in the proper direction we will most likely be flying a blue ensign from the stern as Edinburgh has a royal yacht club with some really good folk in it.

Michael
Old 05-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: Hull
Vessel Name: Tadpole

Of course the Unioin Jack should never be flown as an ensign .... the original post in this thread & my reply are on the subject of flying a Courtesy Flag ....
Old 05-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa' date='17 May 2010 - 04:01 AM View Post

Here is one for the Britishers and the vexillologists amongst us.

A vessel visiting the UK should normaly fly the red ensign at the starboard yardarm of the formast. I have, however, during the Vietnam war, seen a US warship flying the white ensign at the yardarm, which is unusual as warships do not normaly fly courtesy ensigns. Nevertheless, it brings me to my question, a yacht beƶonging to a royal yacht club of another country when visiting the UK should fly what as a courtesy ensign? Obviously, a red ensign will not be wrong but could she, as a vessel of a royal yacht club (which in British terms would normaly have a defaced blue ensign) fly a blue ensign as a courtesy ensign?

Also, which ensign should a foreign state owned vessel (such as a coast guard cutter, customs vesel etc.) fly when visiting the UK?

Any ideas?

Aye // Stephen
David (former US Navy officer) took a quick look at your query and stated that the US warship was likely flying it because they had someone (traveling aboard the US warship) who would have been eligible to fly the particular ensign.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
Wanabee

Home Port: Wirral

A quick read of Flag etiquette may help but you'll may need to read the relevant bits two or three times!

SeeYa