Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Wow...

Sorry that it has been soo long since we posted, but the internet in this bay comes and goes. Currently at anchor (OK two anchors) in Water Bay, St. Thomas, USVI. We sailed from South Eastern Alabama (Barber Marina) down the intercoastal to Pensacola and out into the Gulf... The first day was fantastic: 150 mile day at sail with a rhumb line directly to Key West, but on day two ALL of the wind went away! There we sat 135 miles from the nearest land with nothing for wind. That night it filled in minutely, so we attempted to regain some distance toward Key West, but to no avail... After fruitless attempts to sail and not motor we gave in and decided to motor toward Tampa for fuel. Our Tartan 34-2 has only a 23 gallon tank, so the decision was made to fuel and purchase jerry cans to increase our capacity. Nearing St. Pete' we phoned a friend who directed us to her dock for lunch and fuel, plus the trip for fuel cans. Phoned another friend in the area to see if he wanted to sail with us to Key West, and he both joined us, and picked up fuel cans along the way. After a wonderful lunch we fueled at the local marina and headed for Key West... Again! The next two days went well, though again the wind was poor to non-existant. As we neared the Northwest Channel it filled in a bit, and we got to sail for a while!!! Always sobering to see the many sialboats permanently aground in the Keys. We arrived safe and sound in Key West and motored around Fleming Key to the City Marina's Mooring Field, where we stayed for two days getting ready for the next leg, and changing crew to two gentlemen fron various crewfinders... One will become a friend for life, and you have all met someone like the other; Claims LOTS of experience, but doesn't even bring foul weather gear! He did have some skills though... Well, so far all has been fine except for the wind, so we stocked up and departed. Nearing Marathon my bilge pump quit working well, so we stopped near the channel to Driftwood Marina (another friend) and went in for a spare. Turns out the filter had been aflicted with dog hair! After wasting some time there we struck out again for Miami Beach Marina for our final fuel before leaving the States. We usually draw 6'3" but were loaded for the trip, so 6'6" was more where we were.... Considering that, and the fact that we were racing hurricane season, we set out above Andros through the shipping channel and out above Aluethra to attempt the Rooute 66 path. Of course the winds would not come close to cooperating.

We considered all of the options and decided to stick closer to land and attempt to play the night and land winds. It may or may not have been the right decision? Anyway, we could often motor-sail at good speed ad maintained 6.5 knots most of the time. We fueled again in Provo, Turks & Caicos, and again in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, making our destination of St. Thomas in 13 days after leaving Key West, and that includes lengthy waits for customs twice! Not too shabby for a 34 foot boat...

A couple of things stand out: We hailed "Oasis of the Seas" at 0200 hrs one morning and they gladly gave us an in-depth weather report followed by their comment that we (on the sailing vessel) may be having more fun than them (at work). To which I replied that it was possible, but we were guessing that they, smelled quite a bit better than us... Which was met with laughter! And then there was a small incident of the North coast of Puerto Rico; We had an overcast night with nearly no visibility and were motor-sailing about 14 miles offshore headed toward San Juan when out of the darkness came an unlit boat off of our port quarter... Luckily, the side of the boat said, "Policia"... One occupant held a shotgun at the ready, one was at the helm, and the Commandante addressed me asking, "Where is the other boat?" I asked, "What other boat?" He stated that they had observed a boat pacing us on our starboard beam on radar for the last 10 miles!!! We NEVER saw anything... My response was simple... I told him that IF there was another boat out here with no lights on, then HE needed to STAY WITH ME! The Policia declined, saying that they would go and "find" this boat, and away they went. I will likely never know if there really was another boat, or if that was all Policia tactics, but I will always wonder.

More to come...

Brenda & David Adams

S/V Ceilidh

Old 06-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Thank you very much for the update - lovely read. More please!!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Pictures??? Pretty please

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: Georgetown
Vessel Name: Surprise

I was in St Thomas on Saturday - just missed you! We headed out and had five days of headwinds and pushed currents that lead to a total "D" sail trip to Bermuda. Our boat (of which I was just a temporary crew) was a Caliber 47 LRC ( 1100 mile range).

From Sat night to Friday morning we saw: one oil tanker, one cargo ship, and two sail boats. Kept looking for fast approaching boats but never saw more than a pod of dolphins.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDinghy View Post

I was in St Thomas on Saturday - just missed you! We headed out and had five days of headwinds and pushed currents that lead to a total "D" sail trip to Bermuda. Our boat (of which I was just a temporary crew) was a Caliber 47 LRC ( 1100 mile range).

From Sat night to Friday morning we saw: one oil tanker, one cargo ship, and two sail boats. Kept looking for fast approaching boats but never saw more than a pod of dolphins.
G'day Bob & Robin, aka 'Horizen Seaker's. Pleased your back - safe & well. Did you learn/enjoy all you wished for? Very expensive yachts they are! For that much money one could buy 2 like that in Greece. Was it 'sloop' or 'cutter' rig? Are they all center-cockpit? Was it a comfortable yacht to be aboard/& sail & was it sea-kindly? More to the point - was it your kind of yacht? Did you take any pics? Keep well, james PS. Did you see what's over the 'horizen'?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:39 AM   #6
Commander

I have to figure out how to get the pictures on here...

They are on Facebook...
Old 06-13-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernesstech View Post

I have to figure out how to get the pictures on here...

They are on Facebook...
G'day sailors. Do keep trying to get the pics up in here. Don't use 'face book' - heck I don't even go near the site. Sure would like to see some pics though & more narrative about your adventures, if you can find the time. How's your 'medical kit' doing. Hope you haven't had to use it but I'm wondering if you both still think you took all the correct contents? Great & firm but gentle breezes for you sailing. Ciao, 'jj-geri-hat-trick' aka james
Old 06-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Raven View Post

G'day sailors. Do keep trying to get the pics up in here. Don't use 'face book' - heck I don't even go near the site. Sure would like to see some pics though & more narrative about your adventures, if you can find the time. How's your 'medical kit' doing. Hope you haven't had to use it but I'm wondering if you both still think you took all the correct contents? Great & firm but gentle breezes for you sailing. Ciao, 'jj-geri-hat-trick' aka james
Not using the medical kit much thankfully, but the key to all is just how dynamic life really is... Brenda had her first jellyfish sting, right on her upper lip, and the vinegar was welcome to have been aboard! Neosporin or any other triple antibiotic ointment will see alot of use as we collect the occasional cut from a conch shell we accidentally step on, or any of the many other foot injuries collected by not wearing the proper foot gear on a boat. I sure hope to never have to use much of what I have aboard, but I spent years learning to do so, and would feel I let someone down if I needed it and didn't have it.

Brenda is preparing some conch at the moment... She was so happy to finally learn how to get them out of the shell without help!

I will make an effort to get pictures on here... We are near purchasing an amplified Wifi antenna to ensure signal strength that we currently lose often.

I'll get to it soon...
Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=Wildernesstech;1308070862]

Not using the medical kit much thankfully, but the key to all is just how dynamic life really is... Brenda had her first jellyfish sting, right on her upper lip, and the vinegar was welcome to have been aboard! Neosporin or any other triple antibiotic ointment will see alot of use as we collect the occasional cut from a conch shell we accidentally step on, or any of the many other foot injuries collected by not wearing the proper foot gear on a boat. I sure hope to never have to use much of what I have aboard, but I spent years learning to do so, and would feel I let someone down if I needed it and didn't have it.

Brenda is preparing some conch at the moment... She was so happy to finally learn how to get them out of the shell without help!

I will make an effort to get pictures on here... We are near purchasing an amplified Wifi antenna to ensure signal strength that we currently lose often.

I'll get to it soon...

G'day U 2. Thanks for your in-put. We all learn so much. Didn't really want you to have to 'use medical kit contents' but wanted to know what you thought were items that should never 'not be included there' - for us less experienced than you. I've lived in/on/around the tropical reef for a day or 2 so have always included in the 'kitchen's medical section' lemons & limes. Little coral polyps that like to grow in our bodies after getting in through a scratch/cut will not keep growing when subject to - lime/lemon juice (to high in acid) & as a bonus the application dries up the area & they then die & the cut/scratch heals quickly. I'm not a 'medico' but I know this works. Y'all keep enjoying your adventures & please use us as a 'ships slog' & keep us updated. Fabulous knowledge & information & a big thanks from me. Ciao, enjoysd & share, james
Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #10

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Oh--just found this. So, I see, that's how things went last spring.

What's the latest and greatest for you guys now?

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote