Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Video cameras

I have been looking at video cameras suitable to use for documenting an ocean crossing. The gopro is the one which most extreme sports enthusiasts use, but, unless you just want to wear a camera with no zoom, viewfinder/lcd screen etc, it is simply of no real use.

I want something which is waterproof, or at least weatherproof, something which is rugged, which records in full HD with an optical zoom, and which has a reasonably sized processor.

I have looked at the Kodak zx5, and while it is impressive it appears more of a YouTube special. I am currently looking at the Panasonic HX-wa2.

I'm interested to know what other cruisers/voyagers are using and what are your recommendations, keeping in mind that I want to keep expenses down.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

Blimey charlie Auzzee! I hope your vessel has adequate freeboard with all the kit you're loading aboard! Every time I log in you've just purchased or about to purchase another new toy!

On the other hand - you've been a lifesaver for me mate! Whenever the good lady starts to complain about all my yacht purchases I simply point her to your posts and mention that there are others far worse than I!

Fair winds,

Australis II (Yes we're no longer owners of Mico )

Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Admiral

So far I haven't bought a single thing. I'm still in the research phase...I actually get over there to Mexico on the 10th of Feb...so then, the buy up begins in earnest. Even so, as far as the boat goes, I need dinghy, outboard, new safety gear, a few spares for the Pacific crossing, and some new 'nice bits'..such as cutlery, crockery, linen het-set'ra: I need a new first aid kit for 'offshore', the life raft needs a service, I need some cold weather clothing, and, I need a video cam to satisfy the journalist in me.

And I hafta buy some chocolate.
And a few boddles of Irish Creme.

And some new undies.

And a harmonica...or perhaps bagpipes just so I can be a bloody nuisance to anyone who plays country and western music.

And that's it!

Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Admiral

UPDATE:
I looked at many video cameras and would have settled on the GoPro, except for the fact that it has no viewfinder (No zoom either and poor voice audio quality) and is therefore only good for strapping on to your chest as you snowboard over a cliff in some icy hamlet in fjordland.

GoPro is good for that, but not so flash if you want to frame a subject or indeed, use it as a normal video camera.

On the other hand, the Kodak Playsport has a good zoom, is full HD, is safely submersible to 3 metres, can withstand being dropped onto concrete from 1.5 metres, has an integral screen/viewfinder, good audio and loads of nifty features...all for about $100 on Amazon.

It is a similar size to a smartphone and does not require a special housing for those who want to use it snorkelling around the reef.