Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-27-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Ensign

Default WARNING. NIGERIAN SIFFY ON THE FORUMS

I just recieved this email through the forums... Its a nigerian siffy (as all Nigerians are). ITS A SCAM... STAY AWAY FROM THE SIFFES..

[quote]Hello watersprites

You received the following message from: hmamrs (miriam24ab@yahoo.com)

At: http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/

Dear Friend,

It is with hope that I write to seek your help in the

context below.

I am Hajia Mariam Abacha, wife of Nigeria's former

head of state; Late General Sani Abacha, whose sudden

death occurred on the 8th of June 1998. Since my

husband died, I have been thrown into a state of utter

confusion, frustration and hopelessness by the present

civilian administration. The security agents in the

country have subjected me to physical and

psychological torture. My son (Mohammed Abacha) is

still under detention arraigned before the federal

high court of Nigeria for an offence he did not

commit. As a widow that is so traumatized, I am

hopeless with my present faith. You must have heard

over the media reports on the recovery of various sums

of money deposited by my late husband with various

security firms. Some companies willingly gave up their

secret and disclosed our money confidently lodged

there, or many, outright blackmail. Infact the total

sum discovered by the government so far is in the tune

of $700 Million USD and they are not relenting to make

me poor for life. I came in contact with your name and

address through my personal research and would want to

have faith and confidence in you as I view you to be a

responsible personality.

I have no doubt about your capacity and goodwill to

assist me in receiving into your custody( for safety)

the sum of $40.3 Million USD willed and deposited

safely in my favour by my late husband. This money is

currently kept in Safe Deposit Box (SD at a security

firm within Europe. As it is legally required, the

administration of my late husband's property is under

the authority of the family's Lawyer

(Attorney)Barrister Abdulrahman Bubatrafa(SAN).

The investigative teams set up by my government have

submitted their report after freezing almost all our

account. Fortunately, our family lawyer had secretly

protected the personal will of my husband from the

notice of the investigators and have strictly advised

that the $40.3m USD be urgently moved to an overseas

account of any trust worthy but ANNONYMOUS foreign

family friend without delay, for security reasons. All

our traveling papers have been seized by the

government thereby preventing us from traveling and

all the local and international outfit of our business

empire seized. This sum of money is our only hope to

stay alive.

I have therefore agreed to compensate your goodself

with 30% of the total deposit when you finally recieve

the deposit box from the security firm and its

contents safely lodged in your account. They

have equally guaranteed 100% risk-free and smooth

transfer. If you are

interested in assisting me,please reach me immediately

or send to me your confidential telephone and fax

number(s) so that I can reach you as soon as possible.

For obvious security reasons, it is imperative that

you keep all our communication very secret. Do not

mention my family,s name or disclose the transaction

to anybody. If you are not interested in assisting me,

still get in touch so that I can make alternative

arrangement as time is of the essence.Please do not

expose me to my government.This family have all the prove

you needto recieve this fund into your custody.

Regards,

Hajia Mariam Abacha

NB;please note that i can only responed to you when

you contact me at the above or bellow email address:

miriam24ab@yahoo.com

[/quote

Old 09-27-2005, 05:23 PM   #2
imported_admin

Thanks for letting me know. I have deleted this PIG's membership 4 times. I have handed the IP and trace route over to the authorities each time - he will EVENTUALLY go to jail.

Do you know just how STUPID this PIG is? Uses the same PC every time.

Please notify me soonest when you receive anything like this.

Also see the post http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/top...?TOPIC_ID=1164

Admin
Old 09-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #3
imported_admin

Email received by "Admin" - you can see what type of idiot we're dealing with:

(Start email)

LOOK I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU CALL YOURSELF, YOU MUST BE

VERY VERY CAREFUL. IS THAT OK! IF YOU ARE NOT A

FOOLISH SOMEBODY WHY ARE YOU BLOCKING POEPLE FROM ME

AH!

LOOK I WILL ENTER THAT FORUM AS I LIKE AND I WILL DO

WHATEVER I LIKE TO DO OK! NONESENSE.

YOU CAN NOT STOP ME , NOT EVEN YOU IDIOT.

NA ME MARIAM.

(End)
Old 09-27-2005, 08:39 PM   #4
imported_admin

The Nigerian Scam Defined

A Five Billion US$ (as of 1996, much more now) worldwide Scam which has run since the early 1980's under Successive Governments of Nigeria. It is also referred to as "Advance Fee Fraud", "419 Fraud" (Four-One-Nine) after the relevant section of the Criminal Code of Nigeria, and "The Nigerian Connection" (mostly in Europe). However, it is usually called plain old "419" even by the Nigerians themselves.

The Scam operates as follows: the target receives an unsolicited fax, email, or letter often concerning Nigeria or another African nation containing either a money laundering or other illegal proposal OR you may receive a Legal and Legitimate business proposal by normal means. Common variations on the Scam include "overinvoiced" or "double invoiced" oil or other supply and service contracts where your Bad Guys want to get the overage out of Nigeria (Classic 419); crude oil and other commodity deals (a form of Goods and Services 419); a "bequest" left you in a will (Will Scam 419); "money cleaning" where your Bad Guy has a lot of currency that needs to be "chemically cleaned" before it can be used and he needs the cost of the chemicals (Black Currency 419) ; "spoof banks" where there is supposedly money in your name already on deposit; "paying" for a purchase with a check larger than the amount required and asking for change to be advanced (Cashier's Check and Money Order 419); fake lottery 419; chat room and romance 419 (usually coupled with one of the other forms of 419); employment 419; and ordering items and commodities off "trading" and "auction" sites on the web and then cheating the seller. The variations of Advance Fee Fraud (419) are very creative and virtually endless, so do not consider the above as an all-inclusive list!

At some point, the victim is asked to pay up front an Advance Fee of some sort, be it an "Advance Fee", "Transfer Tax", "Performance Bond", or to extend credit, grant COD privileges, send back "change" on an overage cashier's check or money order, whatever. If the victim pays the Fee, there are often many "Complications" which require still more advance payments until the victim either quits, runs out of money, or both. If the victim extends credit on a given transaction etc. he may also pay such fees ("nerfund" etc.), and also stiffed for the Goods or Service with NO Effective Recourse.

The Nigerian Scam is, according to published reports, the Third to Fifth largest industry in Nigeria. It is the 419 Coalition view that, in effect, the elites from which successive Governments of Nigeria have been drawn ARE the Scammers - therefore, victims have little recourse in this matter. <font color="red">Monies stolen by 419 operations are almost Never Recovered from Nigeria</font id="red">.

Most 419 letters and emails originate from or are traceable back to Nigeria. However, some originate from other nations, mostly also West African nations such as Ghana, Togo, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast ( Cote D'Ivoire ) etc. In most cases 419 emails from other nations are also Nigerian in that the "Home Office" of the 419ers involved is Nigeria regardless of the source of the contact materials. But there are occasionally some "local" copycats trying to emulate the success of the Nigerians. These folks tend not to last too long actually operating out of nations other than Nigeria, but they do try.

PLEASE DON'T SEND 419 COALITION A COPY OF THE 419 SOLICITATION YOU RECEIVED, we've seen tens of thousands already.

DO NOT RESPOND TO THE 419ER and DO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT APPLY TO YOU AS GIVEN IN THE WHAT TO DO SECTIONS BELOW....

http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

From the same website:

What To Do If You Receive A Nigerian Scam/419 Letter

[All information in the What To Do and the Additional Country Specific Reporting sections of this site is kept as current as possible. The most recent update of these sections of the site was done in September 2005]

1. DO NOT RESPOND TO THE 419 SOLICITATION.

2. Notify your Own Nation's National Law Enforcement Agency and your Own Nation's Foreign Office.

3. File a Complaint with the Nigerian Embassy or High Commission in your nation. It used to be possible to email complaints and 419 materials in to the Central Bank of Nigeria and to the Nigeria Police, but those email addresses have not worked for some time.

4. For Loss cases only, you may file a complaint with the Nigerian Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). NOTE: The EFCC informed us 26 APR 2005 that they are doing some maintenance on their email server so their email will not be working for awhile. If you need to report a loss to them in the interim, you will have to call them voice or fax them. Their numbers are available on their webiste at http://www.efccnigeria.org/

5. If the contact from the 419ers was via email: write their email provider at their "abuse" address (abuse@yahoo.com, abuse@onebox.com etc.) and include the 419er message with its headers; complain about the 419 message; and ask that the account be shut down. You may also file complaints with watchdog type sevices like Spamcop to try and get the 419ers email accounts shut off by whatever ISP they are using - Spamcop and other services like it will parse the headers of the 419 email and try to see through forged information etc. to get back to the actual origin of the 419 email, which is often useful in these matters.

Please remember that it is important to include the message's full header information. This is necessary for tracking the message's point of origin. This extra information is not shown by default, and the method of displaying it depends on the email resource you use. If you don't know how to display full headers, please see the instructions in your mail program or website. (Note: Many webpage-based email hosts include a "full headers" option link near the top of the message.)

Some 419ers give different email addies in the body of their mail than the one they sent from. You should complain to "abuse" etc. at those email providers as well..........

http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

PLEASE REPORT THESE NIGERIAN 419 SCAMMERS (report as described above)
Old 09-27-2005, 08:59 PM   #5
imported_admin

The "419 EATER" website.

Great website! Get your own back on these scammers! Have fun on THEM!

http://www.419eater.com/
Old 09-28-2005, 07:01 PM   #6
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

This is another Nigerian scam which is going after sailing crews:

>>

LONDON ROWCO YACHT CLUB LTD. 14, Bayomi Close, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria. Tel. 234-802-341-2683 E-mail: LRYCL@muchomail.com

Dear ,

We are happy to inform you that the above named club in association American Yacht Club is organising a voyage from Lagos (Banana Island) via Europe to America for 6 months starting from last week of this month. The voyage is of two sessions of three months each.

Crews are hereby needed for immediate engagement. The minimum basic pay is US$7,500 pre session with other necessary benefits during and at the end of the exercise. Feeding and the voyage cost will be borne by the club.

Registration and application fee for each application is US$300 only to be paid for the processing of travel papers.

We await your prompt response with detail CV.

Yours faithfully,

Dr. Chuks Igho.

Chief Consultant.

>>

Make $7,500 and you only have to pay $300 to register. I trust no one actually believes their $300 goes anywhere except into "Dr." Chuks Igho's pocket?
dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:34 PM   #7
Ensign

WOW!!!

I have just spent TWO HOURS on that website ( http://www.419eater.com ) - it's addictive!!

Go to their forums (language a little "blue") & learn what to do - these guys are doing a GREAT job.:P:P:P:P

I will have GREAT fun getting back at these 419 bastards.[}: )][}: )][}: )]:P:P[}: )][}: )][}: )]

Paul
Old 09-29-2005, 05:18 AM   #8
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I would love to whack the 419ers also, but I can't get past the idea that entering correspondence with them is like asking for your email address to be added to every nasty spam list in the world. I guess if we wait long enough, George Doubya will eventually declare war against them.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:56 AM   #9
Admiral

My email provider allows me several email addresses, "screen names", and for this type of activity I use a throwaway name that is deleted once the spammers discover it. For that matter, I once used a Yahoo and a Hotmail free address for that purpose. That's what the spammers and 419s do, so you shouldn't feel guilty if you do it too.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 01:28 AM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by admin

(Start email)

AH!

NA ME MARIAM.

(End)
As this probable illegal immigrant is replying from South Africa, he is really an insulting type. Let me enlighten you.

Notice how he misspelled people as POEPLE? In South Africa the meaning of this word is *bad word here*(s)- although spelled slightly differently, the pronounciation and meaning is the same.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:49 AM   #11
imported_admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Wynand N

Quote:
Originally posted by admin

(Start email)

AH!

NA ME MARIAM.

(End)
As this probable illegal immigrant is replying from South Africa, he is really an insulting type. Let me enlighten you.

Notice how he misspelled people as POEPLE? In South Africa the meaning of this word is *bad word here*(s)- although spelled slightly differently, the pronounciation and meaning is the same.
Wynand,

The email traces back to Nigeria.

This scammer (Mariam Abacha) is very well known and is VERY active though not a good one at all - a bit of a fool. Anyone who falls for his very amateur scam must be really STUPID. Do a Google search on HIM. He is an absolute PEST and KEEPS trying. I would guess that the authorities must be getting pretty close to him now.