Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-12-2007, 11:04 PM   #1
Rear Admiral

I am not going to do this often, cross topics between the forums.

Recently Cruiser Log started a new sub-forum WEATHER DISSCUSSION, under the parent forum MARINE STORM WARNINGS AND DISTRESS OR MISSING YACHT NOTICES.

The reasons I post this here, and now:

* It is a new forum; some may have not noticed it yet.

* People do not read what is not of interest or pertinent to them, at the present.

* A very active Super Typhoon 04W - Man-Yi is happening right now in the Western Pacific Ocean. It has been evolving for the past several days. It is about to hit Japan and the surrounding area, with severity. It has and will affect anybody in the surrounding region.

* Now is the opportune time to watch the weather warnings in the STORM WARNINGS forum, and discuss them in the WEATHER DISCUSSION forum, and learn about weather as it happens.

Earlier this week I was searching the world news, about this little gust of wind, now classified as a Super Typhoon, and found virtually nothing. On the other hand the world weather agencies are buzzing with reports, forecasts and predictions. I think the world news headlines are about to change, over the next few hours, and days, as this storm strikes land and population.

I invite you to watch this evolve, ask questions, make comments, and learn weather as it happens. Perhaps most of all warn those in the track, and assist as we can, with those left in the trail it leaves behind.

Jeff

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:56 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Earlier this week I was searching the world news, about this little gust of wind, now classified as a Super Typhoon, and found virtually nothing. On the other hand the world weather agencies are buzzing with reports, forecasts and predictions. I think the world news headlines are about to change, over the next few hours, and days, as this storm strikes land and population.
The local news in Denver Colorado, US, just had a very brief report and acknowledgement of Man-Yi.

......NOW, the world news reports Man-Yi; sort of like closing the gate after the livestock ran free.

I do not mean to be so critical of the news reporting agencies, and trust those agencies in the affected region gave adequate warning.

This time I was correct, but most of the experts of the top world weather agencies, and most all the data, current and historical, were in agreement of what was about to happen, and perhaps will happen next.

Man-Yi is diminishing, yet still very strong and most active. Currently it is doing its most damage, in populated areas, a current and future threat, and wrecking havoc on Japan, and the region.

It appears by Sunday evening (15/1200 Z - 16/0000 Z) Man-Yi will pass the island nation, and will move to the Northeast, and calm itself shortly thereafter, due to influencing weather conditions.

Jeff

A final thought: If wants to sail, one must know the weather, and how to read the data. That is discussed: Here

EDITED: Oh, and the Cowboy thing.... Well, I grew up on a ranch in North Dakota, and I live in Colorada, and cowboys and sailors know a bit about ropes or lines, and how to tie knots, and look at the sky or the animals, and just know something is brewing with the weather.....

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote