Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-23-2015, 06:16 AM   #1
Rear Admiral

Default We're getting closer!

Approx. 8 weeks to go before the house is finished! - and all the insides are masked up ready to commence spraying tomorrow. Picked up 12 x 4m x 600mm slabs of dead straight, seasoned mango tree wood on the weekend. Saw an old van beside the freeway with two large planks leaning against the tailgate so pulled over. Purchased the two thinking they’d be ideal for the bathrooms when the guy mentioned that he had a shipping container full of much larger pieces. All from a 120yr tree and perfectly sawn and stored for the last 7 years! Wooo hoo! Now doing the entire kitchen bench tops with them as well as building a large dining table!

The house is looking great but the call of the ocean is still very strong and I’ve been tentatively looking at a replacement for Australis in the new year. Have been aboard a couple of yachts which would do nicely but trying to stay focused on the housebuilding. Fitting out the new kitchen with the mango slabs should keep me out of mischief for a while but after that - out into the blue again!

Speaking of which, I’ve also been producing a number of yacht sale websites for friends and clients this last year or two with great success. One vessel currently on the market is an amazing Najad 42 Ketch called Ambrosia - owned by a good friend of mine in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo, Malaysia. It’s in mint condition and has just had all standing rigging and deck hardware replaced as the owners look at retiring ashore and build their dream house on the coast after 15 years sailing around the Pacific and SE Asia.

Check out the website:

Welcome to Ambrosia | Ambrosia

Thank you again for all your well wishes after the loss of our beautiful Australis but it’s looking like we’ll be afloat again soon.

Fair winds

Mico/Australis
Attached Thumbnails
Mango-benchtops-here-we-come.jpg   Dining-&-balcony.jpg   UNDERSAIL-3.jpg  
Attached Files

Old 09-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Nice to see you around again mico. The Najad would definitely be on my "if only I could win the lottery" list of desirable yachts. Nice find on the mango planks, that should make a beautiful galley ... errr, I mean kitchen. :-)

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:50 AM   #3
Rear Admiral

Thanks haiqu,

Never really gone away as this place has at least enabled me to continue my cruising life albeit vicariously each night I come home from another day of spraying ceilings and walls in the new place looking like Albert the Albino

But we're getting there and I'm now even allowed to follow up on some enquiries on a few vessels currently on the market.

I agree about the 'desirable' list for the Najad - she's a beautiful thing - but hey - we gotta be able to dream don't we?

Here's there new vid I've just finished for the owners - nothing like bobbing about in the ocean in a tiny inflatable whilst trying to keep your cameras dry as someone attempts to see how close they can actually come without sinking you completely!

Old 10-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Well made piece of sales video there buddy. I'm sure she'll sell in a trice.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:00 AM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Best of luck with getting the house done. Lovely webwork you do, too.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote