Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Ensign

Default What requirements needed for France

To sail our yacht, NZ registered and non EU skipper are we required to carry a Certificate of Competence for French regulations and insurance.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Ensign

Hi annabel,

I'm South African and my boat is registered in Cape Town and equipped as per SA maritime regulations. I have sailed the French waters and been checked out twice, after the usual passport and visa issues I show them my boat's papers and my SA Yachtmaster Offshore certificate and that's it then on that score, never a mention of ICC. Different story if you want to go up the French rivers and canals, then you need a CEVNI licence and your boat needs a VHF equipped with ATIS.

You will need third party insurance for the marinas.

Check out the visa regulations for the Schengen countries carefully.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
Ensign

Thank you multihulsailer6
I was asking on behalf of a friend of ours actually, we have a yacht we bought in Croatia, sailed through Montenegro, Albania and Greece to Turkey where we absolutely must have a Blue Card and (NZ) boat masters in all of those countries. Our friend has been advised by another that he needs no competence certificate of any sort and not a blue card for 3rd party insurance. He is coming across the Bay of Biscay and on over to Greece. I think from your answer I gather he does need those two things, which is precisely what we thought
Thank you again