Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
Wanabee

Home Port: Wirral

On a recent passage up the east coast of Spain heading up the east of Ibiza towards Palma de Majorca, we came across a large "tug-like" craft (with what looked like a crane or dredging device on the stern) stationary in deep water 5-10 miles off with five or six ribs with two men in each seemingly attached to or otherwise holding their relative position to it.

Possibly a mile of two to it's west was another similar looking vessel also apparently holding station but we couldn't quite make out if it also had it's own complement of ribs.

Just occasionally we glimpsed what looked like significant "gear" deployed from the nearer vessel; strangely this looked more like solid metal than a net. not having the log to hand, I can't remember whether we were southwest of Ibiza or south of Mallorca - yes, you've guessed, it was a bit of a pleasure cruise!!!

Neither vessel appeared to be showing any identifiable marks and we gave the nearer vessel a pretty wide berth.

Anyone got any ideas as to what was going on?

Old 06-15-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
Admiral

Peter,

Without seeing it myself or, at least, seeing photographs of it, I strongly suspect this to be a tuna cage.

Tuna is delivered in the net it was caught in (a purse seine net) to the cage which is towed by a tug (need not look like a harbour tug). The tuna are then transfered to the cage where they are fattened up before being killed and transported to Japan for marketing. Because each fish is so valuable, with a bluefin tuna being worth as much as the average car, there are divers in the water to connect the nets but also to photograph the transfer. It is on the photographic evidence of the tuna transfer that the master of the fishing vessel is paid.

You mentioned that this was on a recent passage. How recent? The normal tuna season in the western Med. lasts about three months and is just coming to an end for this year.

I am pretty sure it was a tuna transfer operation you witnessed. If not the actual transfer, the guys may have been in the water to repair the cage.

Hope you are satisfied with the explionation!

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
Wanabee

Home Port: Wirral

The idea of a "cage" now makes complete sense and some of the guys in the ribs were, indeed, in diving gear so now more than happy to take your explanation as fact.

How are you at Murder Mysteries?

Peter
Old 06-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Owen' date='15 June 2010 - 09:22 AM View Post

How are you at Murder Mysteries?
Like most people, I find them fascinating - probably because I am always coming up with the wrong suspect then I need to know why I messed up.

Fishing, or more correctly the monitoring, control and surveillance of marine fisheries, is my bread and butter these days so I hope to be somewhat better at that than at solving murder mysteries.

All the best!

Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 06-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

...... so I hope to be somewhat better at that than at solving murder mysteries.

Mes mon aimes,

While be it far from me to infer anything but inscrutable and dare I say, on the surface what might be deduced as purely innocent, yet perhaps naive protestations from our esteemed host; we are still faced with the dilemma of how the marine surveyor was found face down in a bucket of International Interspeed, 2-pack antifoul behind internally locked doors in the upstairs library.

As you are already aware, it was Trim who found the unfortunate painted and tainted friend when he went looking for a study on Celestrial Navigation and the Art of Banana Bread Making on Passage.

The poor fellow is as we speak, still in the care and ministrations of the downstairs cook and the amazing recuperative powers of her chicken broth but nevertheless, a crime has taken place in these hallowed halls. A crime most devious and most foul. A crime that leaves many questions still unanswered.

Jeanne reports a shadowy character loitering amongst the fenders at 2.17pm and yet gslabbet swears he was taking tea and scones with her at 2.15 that same afternoon on the west wing terrace. Either gslabbet has discovered the ultimate in 'quick bites' or he is the stingiest host this side of Uncle Scrooge.

And what of delatbabel? What are we to make of their assertions that the blood stained winch handle was in fact simply a glob of Trim's home-made berry jam, deposited there when the butter knives mysteriously disappeared from the galley cutlery drawer neccessitating their resorting to deck equipment to spread their toast? One wonders at just what contortionistic dance would have resulted had they only been able to find a spinnaker pole. Would they have had to resort to a strawberry topping lift?

This mystery indeed will test us all

(That or I've been land-locked too long and need to get back out on the water)

Old 06-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mico' date='15 June 2010 - 05:16 PM View Post

(That or I've been land-locked too long and need to get back out on the water)
Yes! And hurry!

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:33 AM   #7
Admiral

Get back on the water? Certainly but start writing your "who-done-it" now.

Well done mico

// Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk