Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-05-2006, 05:17 AM   #1
Commander

Default Wooden boats that have been 'glassed over...

I've come across quite a few old wooden boats that have been 'glassed over. What can I look for to be certain the job was well-done and wouldn't pose problems for me later on?

What are the pros and cons of living aboard and cruising on a boat with this construction?

Old 05-05-2006, 05:32 AM   #2
Ensign

I would imagine that delamination would be more common. If wood was not clean fresh and dry, laminate will not bond. Tap with hammer to listen to hollow areas.

The other thing is that wooden boats are usually smaller space wise for their overall length. So now you have a same length fiberglass boat but a lot less real estate.

Petar

Old 05-05-2006, 05:37 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Seafarer. Are the vessels to which you refer traditional craft with sawn timber ribs and carvel planked, or are they lapstrake (clinker) constructed, or cold molded diagonal planked; or are they glass over ply. Each building method has its own benefits and disadvantages and subsequent, attendant problems. However, with the probable exception of glass-over-ply and cold molded, timber craft would most often be glassed over to mask or correct existing problems within the timber hull. Identifying the construction method to us, will allow people with more knowldege than I, the chance to better advise you. Best wishes David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
Commander

It is a 1937 41' Cutter Yawl. It is 10'6" wide and has a 4'6" draft. I'd imagine sawn frames and carvel planking. The current owner bought it already 'glassed. He said it was originally built to be a Bermuda racer.

I thought the primary reason for 'glassing a wooden boat was to get away from constant maintenance.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
Ensign

If the boat is plywood, then it will tend to act like a distillery.. look for grey/black wood, with a white fungi growing.... you might also sound with a sharp tool to see how hard the wood is? It has been my experience to avoid glass/wood combinations.

If I were younger, "physically" I'd go for all wood, fiberglass worms have not transited from the eastcoast..USA to the westcoast yet.