Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-19-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Has anyone noticed the very quiet birth of the Cruising and Sailing Wiki

This Cruising and Sailing Wiki will develop into an extremely useful resource for all cruisers around the world - be built by all cruisers around the world who are always so willing to share their knowledge and information.

This Cruising and Sailing Wiki is a learning curve for us all and will take some time to even set up the basic skeleton. A start has been made and it will always be a work in progress. Feel free to start contributing to the sections that have been established - this is a shared resource that will benefit us all. Even correcting spelling mistakes or grammar is a valuable contribution.

The link to the Cruising and Sailing WIKI is on the menu at the top of the page (next to the "Gallery" link). Only registered members can contribute so "Guests" must first register.

Let's build a GREAT cruising knowledge base for ALL cruisers on yachts around the world to freely access.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

FAQ - Means: Frequently Ask Questions.

But this is so new, the questions have not been asked yet. So maybe my contribution should be titled: "AQ".

AQ???

Yep! AQ: Anticipated Questions.

We're just getting started on the Cruiser Log - Wiki Project. We means Cruiser Log "Members".

What the heck is a "Wiki" anyway? A self description is found HERE

And who operates it? The Wikimedia Foundation, HERE

Where do we Cruiser Log MEMBERS fit in?

Well, as Lighthouse said, look up, at the top of your screen, just below the Blue Bar, left of Gallery, is our Wiki Link. Click on that and explore. At the moment there is not much to explore, yet. In time there will be with members' contributions. That simply means we have an electronic sailing and cruising reference book to write, and we need authors; authors for each and every related topic. Do your best, and base what you write, on facts.

If you have questions ask, we (Mods and Members) are here to help.

How do you ask for help? You can click on a MOD's name and send an e-mail or PM - Private Message, or you can simply post a topic if you are totally lost. Don't worry, you won't break anything. And honest mistakes are easily fixed quickly, and readily forgiven by the Mod Team. That is why we are here.

Where is here; where are the Mods? We are scattered around the globe, across the continents, and amongst the time zones, on purpose, with a purpose, to keep this board running smoothly and properly, 24/7/365. But, one or more of us, are usually only a click away. You can click on each Mod's name for each of our profiles, or from the home page of the forums, near the bottom there is a link to the Mod's. The Mod's are on land and sea, with a wide variety of multi-professional and trade(s) background(s), with their hearts in sailing, cruising, and assisting others. It would be difficult to hire such a team, anywhere. The payroll would be expensive, maybe prohibitive. There is no income, there is no payroll, we are volunteers, and we care. We donate time, hardware, software, and band width. The frustrations often frequent, but NOT from honest sailors or members. The rewards come from sincere members and helping them.

I find this Wiki project most exciting. We can write the book on sailing and cruising, topic by topic. This is better than searching thru old forgotten posts, that scroll off the current page. There are other sailing and cruising discussion boards, and thousands and tens of thousands Web-Logs (Blogs). Nobody else that I know of, No other Sailing or Cruising related Discussion Board has taken on such a project. Later, others will imitate, and attempt to simulate. So what. So be it. We are the trend setters.

Write On!

Jeff

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
Retired Mod

A good few sections of our Cruising and Sailing Wiki are now set up and ready for editing by ALL members.

Additional sections are being added daily (as time permits) so please keep checking to see where you can add your valuable input.

WIKI link in the menu at the top of the page.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Retired Mod

GoogleMaps have been added to the Wiki.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
Retired Mod

A good start has been made on the "SE ASIA" section and some on "AUSTRALIA" on our Wiki.

The call is now out for your contributions to the "CARIBBEAN" section please.

The CRUISING AND SAILING WIKI - go to "contents" ....

Old 10-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
Retired Mod

An example of just how our WIKI can assist cruisers around the world:-

Durban, South Africa

http://www.cruiserlog.com/wiki/index.php?title=Durban

The Wiki is for ALL to contribute to.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
Retired Mod

Some sections of the Wiki are now well underway - thanks to all who are contributing.

Please share your knowledge with all cruisers by contributing - there are still many sections that are set up and waiting for input.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
Retired Mod

There has been amazing growth in the World Cruising Wiki - some contributors have been very hard at work and have built up some extremely useful sections with lots of cruising information and fantastic chartlets, graphics and photos.

Have a look at some of the FEATURED CRUISING GUIDES and perhaps they will encourage you to become involved - to contribute what you can about cruising areas that you know. Help the Cruising Wiki grow even faster into the free, World Cruising Guide that we can all freely reference and be proud of.

Help to spread the word about the Cruising Wiki - the more contributors the better.

BUILT BY CRUISERS, FOR CRUISERS.

GRAB A PAGE AND BUILD IT!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
Retired Mod

The Cruising Wiki's section on Greece has become the best online resource about the region that is available on the Web.

Turkey is also developing quicky, but, so is the Caribbean, Chile, SE Asia, Pacific islands, Indian Ocean, ..... and on and on!

See for yourself and add your own contributions - bring out the hidden "cruising guide author" in you. Even just correcting grammar or spelling mistakes is a great help.

The World Cruising Wiki - A free, online world cruising guide.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Has anyone noticed the very quiet birth of the CruiserLog Cruising and Sailing Wiki?

This Cruising and Sailing Wiki will develop into an extremely useful resource for all cruisers around the world - be built by all cruisers around the world who are always so willing to share their knowledge and information.

This Cruising and Sailing Wiki is a learning curve for us all and will take some time to even set up the basic skeleton. A start has been made and it will always be a work in progress. Feel free to start contributing to the sections that have been established - this is a shared resource that will benefit us all. Even correcting spelling mistakes or grammer is a valuable contribution.

The link to the Cruising and Sailing WIKI is on the menu at the top of the page (next to the "Gallery" link). Only registered members can contribute so "Guests" must first register here (free) on the FORUM.

Let's build a GREAT cruising knowledge base for ALL cruisers on yachts around the world to freely access.
Hi! I am from Latvia! Is WIKI building still actual? If Yes I`ll be back with ideas.

Andrejs

Click here!
andrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
Admiral

Andrejs,

Welcome!

The Wiki will never be completed as there is always something new to add and circumstances change. You are most welcome to add your information too.

By the way, I will be in Riga for a couple of days in mid May. If you are in the capital you are welcome to get in touch with me if you would like to have a beer and discuss sailing one evening.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #12
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Andrejs,

Welcome!

The Wiki will never be completed as there is always something new to add and circumstances change. You are most welcome to add your information too.

By the way, I will be in Riga for a couple of days in mid May. If you are in the capital you are welcome to get in touch with me if you would like to have a beer and discuss sailing one evening.

Aye // Stephen
Hi Stephen!

That is so great that I get A LIVE reply Today everywhere are autoresponders and I now a bit those style. Yes I am in Riga in mid May. And no problems to make an appointment and talk not only about Sails and shis. My cell phone #+37129286015. P.S. I made a short look in WIKI datas about Latvia I have much to add and have an Idea to ..OK Let`s talk about ideas on Live. Have a good day or night ..btw what is your Lat Long?? Andrejs

Click here!
andrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
Admiral

I will call you Andrejs before traveling to Riga. I will be there from 18th-21st May.

May position is

42 14.5N

08 43.6W

or as near as I can make out without having a GPS here

Cheers // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #14
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Andrejs

I am thrilled that you plan to help us with the wiki. You will be a most welcome addition to us.

Fair winds

Vasilis

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:49 AM   #15
Retired Mod

The World Cruising Wiki software has been upgraded and requires contributors to re-register on the Wiki separately (top R/H corner of Wiki page). Please register with your forum username if you have one.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
Muscle Rev Xtreme

Home Port: delhi
Vessel Name: Anil kumar

google map is the best to get served as it helps in getting the entire locations.....

Tags
cruising wiki