Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi Cruisers

My wife and I are doing our research in preparation to buy our yacht. Well set up for long term cruise. We were wondering if these is a general consensus around where the best place is to purchase. We are Perth, Australia based and would consider travelling almost anywhere to buy it when the time comes and sail from there. I have sailed my whole life, so I am not a newbie.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Admiral

A guess might be - Freemantle WA.

However, it could depend on the type of sailboat it's size, age etc..

Questions :- where do you contemplate cruising - - warm or cold seas ??? what price range in Aussie money ?? With the world's economy in its present volatile condition - where to invest in a cruising sailboat at this time presents more than a normal difficulty.

Richard

Old 01-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Ensign

Fremantle it is! Good guesstimate. Secret Harbour actually. I used to think that the best ever cruising yacht was a Roberts 47' Mauritius, for a lot of reasons. Lately I have been cruising as crew or helm on a Fountine Pajot Levezzi 40 and offshore racing on a Farr 38' so I see the value of both. The reality is that I can't afford a cat that would get me there.

For us we have decided that even though we can afford to service maybe as much as $850k with the mortgages paid off, debt free, we would rather pay cash for about $250k max and be free as a bird. When I finally put my feet on a deck that I own, I won't want to take them off.

You know the drill, kids nearly off our hands, sell the big house on the beach, downsize, rip some cash out and live the life. I'd love to see a forum waffle/purchase boat and go cruising ratio :-)

There are a lot of good boats for sale on the Gold Coast, but I'm sure there are (due to current economic climate) plenty of real opportunities out there, I'd love to know where to look.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Greetings from an ex sandgroper.

Funny you should mention the Mauritius as that was one of the first vessels we owned - solid and dependable.

The perception of Qld being a good place to purchase is pretty accurate. You really are flooded for choice from Cairns right down to Airlie. As the credit crunch bites deep the market is flooded with vessels for sale. Boat brokers up and down the coast are crying out for business so there are some good opportunities to be had.

In the end however - the best advice I think is to look...look...look and look again - that perfect yacht can pop up anywhere. Take a gander at yachthub.com - well worth a visit.

Fair winds
Old 02-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

G'Day,

Not so many well set up cruisers would be for sale ex Freo as you know - it is a tad isolated. But suggest might be worth sorting what you want before searching further afield.

We've recently assisted (in a mild way) a fellow Auzzie who has now purchased a 24 month old 46 footer over in the UK for close to 50% of its new price.

I respectfully suggest - with current climate - you should expect those sort of bargains just about everywhere.

Good luck - enjoy

JOHN
Old 02-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

I understand that numerous US flagged, well found vessels trade ownership in New Zealand...especially the past couple years as cruisers have found their Kitty unexpectedly depleted.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:59 AM   #7
Ensign

Thanks for the repiles guys, it all helps. I had a bit of trouble with a blue fin tuna last weekend. 50k West of Perth

Click image for larger version

Name:	P010209_12_48.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	804
Old 02-06-2009, 06:48 AM   #8
Admiral

Is live bait permitted?

OUCH !!!!!!

Hope you got that patched up

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indotubes View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, it all helps. I had a bit of trouble with a blue fin tuna last weekend.
If the hook is still in the finger ( If not save the solution for a future engagement)

#1 . Green arrow - pull the sharp end through until you can see the barb (a barb is indicated by the red arrow on the free hook) #2. Then with strong pair of pliers close the barb so that it lies along the hook's sharp end. #3. Then pull the offending hook back until it is free from the finger.

#4. Then lift the barb to its original position. #5. Wash the Lure and the tri-hook thoroughly -

tuna do not like the taste of human blood. #6. Sit down and have a good dram and thank your gods that the embeddiment did not take place in your nether regions

Name:   Ouch.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  19.8 KB