Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #21
Sailing Practitioner

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Stargazer One

Hi Lex
Hope you have a working gearbox by now and are enjoying the bay hopping I here the sea state is a little rough
Weighing anchor shortly

Old 05-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Hey Drew,

We are still at Elcho island but the good news is we got the gearbox back in yesterday and it has tested out working as it should. We are getting some fuel in the morning and some groceries and intend to up anchor first thing saturday morning.

The sea state isn't too bad, at least here a bouts, this really is a good anchorage. We are going to day hop around the coast and should take about 10 days to get to Darwin. Should be in the Port Ess about the 7th or 8th. We arnt in a real hurry and don't mind not getting to Darwin till about the 15th or so.

Might see you on the way somewhere.

Lexx

Old 05-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #23
Sailing Practitioner

for sure we will cross plan on leaving here 7-10th at latest on the low so i can use the tides thu the verons and cape don and ride the current to PE exiting Darwin is all about the timing and execution of the departure you can make it real easy if you do it right I usually make PE in 24hrs if i time it right
I usually spend 3 days there black point then down to Vic settlement and finish with a meal and a swim at seven spirits and scoot off so a very safe bet we will cross each other
Drew
Old 05-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #24
Capt'n

Let me see if i got this straight ...the tidal flow is west to east on a flooding tide past the Vernons ???

Never having sailed round the top before some local knowledge is always handy.

Lexx
Old 06-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #25
Sailing Practitioner

Like sayings this is the fastest and quick way if you do it right its a 12hr trip

Round the Don at the low and fast you will go
Aim for the hoff you have 128 to go
At the high a shoal you will pass and if no blow a anchor must go or backwards you will go!
You will sight the hoff at the low and in you go....
Kiss the light at the V and deep and fast you will go
look for the sister light and be drawn towards her but be true to lyne and over you go
Take Sight of the point and home you will go

The shoal is the only anchor point (30mtr)
Hoff is cape hoffman if you are out of sync wait there good anchorage
the lights are the two vernon lighthouse lights on the islands they are small wooden white ones go close to the first one when passed it aim for the second but saty a distance nice reef there and turn to Lyne reef
lyne is lyne reef you can pass over and when you do aim sight then to black point

Have fun
I have another good one for leaving

WATER RUNS through the vernons thru the gulf and out past cape don and flows past PE on a high to low time your departure from PE to be at the don on the low
if traveling close to shore 6 nm or under watch out for the unmarked bommies 1/2 way to the don or they will ruin your day

Drew
Old 06-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #26
Capt'n

Arrived in Darwin a couple of hours ago so your advice is a bit late Drew but I will put it away for the next time I am going that way. We got here okay... had a bastard of a run for the first part after rounding Cape Don... 35 to 40 knot winds and a really crappy sea state make for an interesting time to say the least ... will kick back for a day or three getting my feet on the ground and then see what happens next.

Lexx
Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #27
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Hey stranger, hope it's still fun out there.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #28
Capt'n

Hi Rob, Yeah loved most of the trip and especially the last 12 days from Elcho Island after we sorted out our gearbox problems... was a really cruisie trip with just the one day of crap out of 12 so we had loads of fun and met some interesting people including guy who is paddling a sea kayak around Australia at our anchorage just before Cape Don. Shared a couple of beers with him. He should be in Darwin on saturday so hopefully will catch up again... He is doing well, started out in Sydney so more power to him, I know I wouldn't or couldn't do it. More power to him ...

Lexx
Old 06-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
Sailing Practitioner

Hi Lex I must have missed you by 30 min left dariwn at 17.30 currently cruising at a whopping 1.5 kn towards the Vernon's but hey i deliberately left knowing it was going to be light wind should pass them in the morning and hopefully make cape don by the night high to go with the flow to PE
yes heard it has bee fun if you in Fannie bay have a chat to the french guy that came in on the sikia (cat) he had 60 kn fun over the gulf he did the jump on the high and had a real good blow
i have my tracker on SPOT Shared Page if you want tosee how i am going but i think i amgoing to be lucky and be able to jump from the top of groker i have a few lows that will be working for me it keep it calm
enjoy drawin
Drew
Old 06-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #30
Capt'n

Are you past Cape Don yet Drew?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #31
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Bit hard to tell from the Spot map, no details ... he seems to be close to it.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #32
Capt'n

He is about 50 miles from Cape Don at the moment on the Western side of Cape Hotham. I was there last tuesday night. If you zoom in his Spot map you will see individual log points more easily.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #33
Ensign

Home Port: Queensland , Gold Coast
Default Well done . I had faith :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx View Post
Arrived in Darwin a couple of hours ago so your advice is a bit late Drew but I will put it away for the next time I am going that way. We got here okay... had a bastard of a run for the first part after rounding Cape Don... 35 to 40 knot winds and a really crappy sea state make for an interesting time to say the least ... will kick back for a day or three getting my feet on the ground and then see what happens next.

Lexx
http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/ima...ons/icon10.gif
Old 06-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #34
Ensign

Home Port: Queensland , Gold Coast

Gday lex , Glad to hear you have made it to Darwin , well done . Say hi to Ryan . Any luck with crew ?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #35
Capt'n

Travesty made it into Darwin ... nuff said ...
Old 06-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #36
Sailing Practitioner

Hi lex nope not there yet got hit quite good at about 3.30am decided to do a strategic retreat back to cape hoff rather than cop the pounding winds were touching the 40 knot mark with a shocking sea state looking at the weather pattern now may be a little more stratigic this time and go via greenhill island
Enjoying Darwin?
Old 06-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #37
Capt'n

Yeah Drew those sound like the winds that pounded me after I came round the Cape, super nasty sea state as well.... really knocked us around but we made it in the end.

Darwin is cool, looking around a bit and enjoying the sailing club..good food there.

Good luck to you and hope you get favourable weather soon.

Lexx
Old 06-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #38
Sailing Practitioner

all good doing some repairs from the battering but looks like ill get a nice window in a days time
did you happen to run into anyone up at PE coming to Darwin? might have a passenger that wants to go back
Old 06-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #39
Capt'n

Really someone jumping ship already ... there were 3 or 4 boats there and I reckon all of them are heading this way...

This is the season for boats heading this way so i reckon you will find someone no probs ...
Old 06-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #40
Sailing Practitioner

yep a little beating (and there will be bigger ones to come) oh well and i was being nice by coming back to the hoff instead of riding it don't know what part of my ad that said expect to be wet battered and bruised as this is a west to east crossing they did not understand and were not even at the gulf yet and that can be real fun and they have experience the novices on board are fine
hopefully someone will pass thru tomorrow and i ca n send them back to Darwin as ill Finnish re sewing the blown panels of the jib tomorrow and be ready to go again
yes the dsc is good for food but i also recommend the ski club on the foreshore walk to mindi beach good food there also and good entertainment on the weekends as well just walk towards the museum
have they got that 3 mtr croc yet floating around at fannie bay yet?