Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Home Port: No such thing
Vessel Name: Charisma
Post Crew wanted from Bali/Lombok to Halmahera sept to december 2013

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a crew from Bali or Lombok to Eastern Indonesia and eventually up to Mindanao. Interested crew can join for part or all of it. The trip involves a lot of scuba diving, so either experience in sailing or diving, ideally both would make a perfect crew. I have attempted to attach an introduction to the boat, myself and crew requirement to this post, hopefully it will work. The boat is a Vagabond 47 in excellent condition. The trip is on a share cost basis for for food and drinks and shore outing. All cost related to the boat are born by the owner, it is all detailed in the attachment. If that doesn't work, I can email the intro to any interested crew and we'll take it from there.
Fair Winds,

Old 05-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Hi Francis,
Attachment didn't seem to come through -- try again? Or cut and paste in here.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Ensign

Hello Francis...can you send me details at llamedos@webmail.co.za please.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: No such thing
Vessel Name: Charisma
Default Here is the missing attachment.

An introduction to Charisma
The Boat
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image002.gif[/IMG]
Charisma is a Vagabond 47 designed by William Gardner and build by Blue Water Yacht with GRP material in Taiwan in September 1990. I purchased her in Phuket in May 2005 and thus became the third owner. She went through a couple of refit in 2005 and 2006 and she is pretty much under constant maintenance and improvement, the last one was a complete deck refit in 2012. Charisma is 54 feet LOA, 47 feet deck length and 36 feet at the water line for 6 feet draft. That does not make her a racer but she sails truly and well at 6 knots under sail and has been through squalls up and above 60 knots; I felt perfectly safe even under those conditions.
Charisma has a full sail wardrobe in good condition and a new Main Sail. She is powered by a 100 HP Volvo Penta and cruise economically at 6 knots. She is equipped with a 7 KVA Onan generator, water maker, fridge, freezer, air conditioner, hot water, dive compressor. There are also a large number of spare parts and tools in order to fix problems just about anywhere. She is a true live aboard that would go anywhere. A good stereo with a large and eclectic music bank blends sound and sight in just about any circumstances; an open sea or a Gin & Tonic in a peaceful tropical anchorage at sunset.
The Owner & Skipper
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image004.jpg[/IMG]
My name is Francis Maubé. I was born and raised in France but worked and lived overseas since 1979. I regained my freedom from the corporate world in 2005, purchased Charisma and lived on board since. I started sailing at the age of 12 but working life took its toll on the sailing so now is a good time to fill the gap. I tend to be relaxed but like to keep high standard as far as safety is concerned as well as cleanliness and keeping the boat in proper order. Exploring is my passion, that includes nature above and below the water line, culture, people and why events unfold in a particular way. I suppose the quest is to answer the ethereal question: why. As social as I can be there is no compromise about safety on board; if the boat is safe we are all safe on board. I particularly enjoy exchange of idea, different way to look at events or idea which is sometimes known as lateral thinking and above all learning as life is nothing but bettering oneself.
The Crew
Experience is great but can be empty. I’ve seen too many people boasting 20 years or so experience but in fact barely mastered 20 times one year. Yet, some experience is good but a willingness and capability to learn and help is even better. The crew should feel free to ask as many questions he/she wish in order to share knowledge, by the same token she/her should also feel free to share his/hers.
A crew is required, not a passenger, the difference should be appreciated, in case of doubt, please feel free to ask. The Crew is expected to share the chores on board, in particular, keeping the deck clean and uncluttered of loose equipment as well as in the cabins. Cooking and washing is to be shared amongst the crew and skipper. Personal hygiene is most important; there is a water maker on board so showering is not a problem. The crew is also expected to hold its own watch day or night with the adequate amount of coaching. Although I do not expect a crew to help a refit, lending a hand is required for any unexpected repairs that are bound to happen from time to time.
In terms of cost the crew will solely shoulder the following:
· Cost of transportation from point of origin to point of embarkation and from point of disembarkation to point of origin or wherever the crew wishes to travel to.
· Cost of visa and ancillary cost which are agent fees if applicable and generally any government fees directly related to the individual. All cost directly related to the boat are to be borne by the owner.
· Any cost generated by the crew as a result of its own action; read doing something stupid. For example entering into a dodgy deal whether onboard or ashore.
By the way, the boat is strictly drug free. Any illegal substance brought onboard by the crew will result in an immediate disembarkation on first terra firma.
This introduction is relatively short in comparison to actual life on board so feel free to ask any questions that might spring to mind.

Francis Maube
S/Y Charisma
Old 06-05-2013, 03:07 AM   #5
Ensign

Default Sounds like an interesting Trip!!!

Hi,
I have been thinking of doing another sailing trip, and think this sounds like it might be a fun trip for me. I crewed, Panama-NZ-Fiji-Aus about 10 years ago, and haven't been on a sailboat since then. Lately have been doing a lot of bicycle touring. I spend a lot of time in SE Asia, and was thinking of returning later this year. It would be great to chat or email a bit and find out more about your trip, and see if maybe I can join you for a part of it. I didn't see an email address for you anywhere, so perhaps you could email me: S_Freesman@hotmail.com.
Thanks,
S.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Ensign

Home Port: Sacramento

Hi Francis,
I am interested in possibly crewing for this voyage. I have essentially no sailing experience but I am a fast learner and a positive force to have around in any scenario. I would love some more information about what kind of people you are looking for on this trip to see if I would be a good fit and to get some more information about the trip in general. my email address is: meghanstahl@gmail.com
Old 06-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Ensign

Home Port: Darwin

Hi,

My girlfriend and I would definitely be interested in this trip. We are going to be in Bali in September but are flexible depending on when you were thinking of leaving. I have open water certificate and am hard working and a quick learner willing to master an tasks needed on the boat!! Zoe is a Dive master with her own equipment so this would be a perfect match as we both love to dive!! We are a chilled out couple from Wales and Holland - and easy to get along with.

Anyway, if you think we could work something out that would be great! We are looking for the next adventure! Please message me with some dates and roughly what the costs would work out at?

Look forward to hearing from you ,

Adam
Old 06-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: Tampa Florida
Default Strong Interest in Joining

Have spent a lot of time in Bali and Lombok and would like to return and see it by sea. Please contact so we can exchange information. Many thanks, LB
Old 07-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: Rhode Island
Default Keen!

Hello,

I am currently based in New Zealand where my visa will expire in September. I have no official plans for after New Zealand, but I am keen to stay in the South Pacific!

I have river and lake sailing experience. I have 'captained' boats (flying scot; rainbow) in these environments with crew that have never sailed before.

I am really interested in learning more. I am a geographer at heart and am up for adventure!

Get in touch if you have any questions!

Cheers,
JJ
Old 08-01-2013, 05:02 AM   #10
Ensign

Interested. I am 74, a retired lawyer. Sailed my 37 foot Island Packet from California to and through: Mexico, French Polynesia, Hawaii, British Columbia and back down to Santa Barbara where I live, returning 2012. I would have kept going across the Pacific, but needed to be home for family reasons which continue to keep me from a multi-year cruise. I am very fit - tennis, bicycling, etc. I have a lot of experience taking care of a boat and sailing in many sea conditions over extended periods. I want to visit Northern Australia and Indonesia, etc. I hold Padi Open Water. I can do my share of anything and everything aboard and the means to provide for my share of any expenses. If I fit your needs, lets communicate. Joel Ungar.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
Ensign

Home Port: Paralimni

Hi, I'm a 52 year old female and ex military. I would be very interested in crewing for this trip I will be in Bali in Sept, I am a Scuba Diving Assistant Instructor with my own gear, I have no sailing experience but I'm a fast learner and seek adventure above & below the water. If you think I might fit the bill please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks
Gail
Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
Looking for a boat

Home Port: london

Hi Francis,

I am Krystel, from France.
I would be very interested to join your sailing trip to Bali.
But I would be available only from October or november... Do you think it would be possible?
I do race sailing since 5 years with ;y school's sailing team, but I really like cruise too
It would be a great experience for me to join your crew!
How many person are you looking for, and how many place are still available?

Regards,
Krystel
Old 08-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #13
Ensign

Home Port: Paralimni

[QUOTE=pollywallydoodle;39447]Hi, I'm a 52 year old female and ex military. I would be very interested in crewing for this trip I will be in Bali in Sept, I am a Scuba Diving Assistant Instructor with my own gear, I have no sailing experience but I'm a fast learner and seek adventure above & below the water. If you think I might fit the bill please do not hesitate to contact me.

gailpollitt@hotmail.co.uk
Thanks
Gail
Old 08-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
Ensign

Home Port: Ottawa
Vessel Name: Kiludi
Default Capable crew available

Hello Francis, I would love to join you for 2-3 weeks in October or November. I'm a pilot by profession with a good basic knowledge of sailing but limited experience. I studied oceanography in college and share your interest in all things aquatic. I'm also a qualified scuba diver but have not been active in the sport for several years. My goal is to gain sailing and diving experience in preparation for my own retirement. I am healthy, fit and not afraid of hard work. I look forward to hearing from you. Best regards,
Old 09-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
Ensign

Home Port: anacortes
Default crew position

Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself and let you know that I'm interested in joining your crew.

Here’s some info about me.

I sailed Hobie Cats as a kid. Sailed whenever I could get on a boat, weekly club races on Long Island Sound and Puget Sound, crewed from Guatamala to Florida, bare-boat chartered in the Caribbean and Tahiti. Had my own boat, a Catalina 30, and "cruised" the San Juans and Gulf Islands five months each of the past few summers, single-handed and on the hook. Winters I was living on her at the marina.

Graduated from UCSB and then went traveling, chasing mountains around the world. Have spent about 15 years abroad, mainly in South Asia, Japan, New Zealand and Central America. Worked on and off for Stanford University during the 1980s. Have lived east coast, west coast and in between. Have done a lot of bicycle and motorcycle touring. Interested in nature, especially birdwatching, mushrooming, fishing/crabbing. Just sold my house, gonna miss my vegetable garden. I love reading.

My motivation and reasons to crew on a boat

I've decided to get more seriously into boating. I bought my first boat a few years ago and the learning curve has been incredible. I knew wind and sails, sailing lingo and how to handle a boat, but now it's all about safety and systems and the responsibilities of a captain. Best way to learn is hands-on. But now I’m boatless again and am looking for the opportunity to sail with others and learn more about boats. My dream is to sail to Alaska. And then who knows.

I sold my Catalina 30 not too long ago, but now looking to get back and more deeply into sailing. Very interested to learn more about all aspects of boating. Would appreciate the opportunity to help out on your boat, get more experience and knowledge, and have fun. Thanks.

And if you have the time, where in SE Asia are sailing hubs where one would have a good chance of finding crew positions. I figure to just go with my kitbag and prowl the marinas. Thanks.

Jack Whittemore

p.s. I’m healthy, unencumbered and financially secure.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
Ensign

Home Port: anacortes
Default crew position

Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself and let you know that I'm interested in joining your crew.

Here’s some info about me.

I sailed Hobie Cats as a kid. Sailed whenever I could get on a boat, weekly club races on Long Island Sound and Puget Sound, crewed from Guatamala to Florida, bare-boat chartered in the Caribbean and Tahiti. Had my own boat, a Catalina 30, and "cruised" the San Juans and Gulf Islands five months each of the past few summers, single-handed and on the hook. Winters I was living on her at the marina.

Graduated from UCSB and then went traveling, chasing mountains around the world. Have spent about 15 years abroad, mainly in South Asia, Japan, New Zealand and Central America. Worked on and off for Stanford University during the 1980s. Have lived east coast, west coast and in between. Have done a lot of bicycle and motorcycle touring. Interested in nature, especially birdwatching, mushrooming, fishing/crabbing. Just sold my house, gonna miss my vegetable garden. I love reading.

My motivation and reasons to crew on a boat

I've decided to get more seriously into boating. I bought my first boat a few years ago and the learning curve has been incredible. I knew wind and sails, sailing lingo and how to handle a boat, but now it's all about safety and systems and the responsibilities of a captain. Best way to learn is hands-on. But now I’m boatless again and am looking for the opportunity to sail with others and learn more about boats. My dream is to sail to Alaska. And then who knows.

I sold my Catalina 30 not too long ago, but now looking to get back and more deeply into sailing. Very interested to learn more about all aspects of boating. Would appreciate the opportunity to help out on your boat, get more experience and knowledge, and have fun. Thanks.

And if you have the time, where in SE Asia are sailing hubs where one would have a good chance of finding crew positions. I figure to just go with my kitbag and prowl the marinas. Thanks.

Jack Whittemore

p.s. I’m healthy, unencumbered and financially secure.