Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: siegen
Default New here and want to sail from Cambodia to Russia

Hello,

my name is max and I am new here!
Well, I am not even a sailor. Hope that doesn't matter. What is not can still beccome!

I am on a motorbike trip right now. I made my way from Germany to Thailand. I'm in Bangkok now and want to go to Laos and Cambodia.

In the beginning of may, I would like to go to Russia to continue my way...

I shipped the bike before, but was never allowed to be on the ship as well.

So here is the question: Is anyone sailing from Cambodia to Russia in may and willing to take me and my bike with him?

Thanks in advance

You also can visit my blog, so you can see who I am.
Siegen-Bangkok

Old 04-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

G'day Max,
Having just concluded a 15 month motorcycle trip through Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos (best bar in the world: Bor Pen Yang in Vientiane on the Mekong), Myanmar and Malaysia, I know you are going to have a great trip and a load of fun.

I guess you are riding a 650-1100 Versys to Supermotard style of bike. These are big machines of between 280 and 350kg. The problem with mounting them on a boat such as our members are sailing, is getting them on and off the boat and the location on what even on a 60'er is a relatively small deck without effective lashing points for a tall, heavy object, both of which present major logistical and safety concerns.

Then there is the route. Cambodia to Russia is not a traditional cruising route and would seem almost exclusively the province of commercial vessels which will want to ship your bike as cargo and which usually, because of insurance obstacles, are forbidden from carrying paying passengers.

Perhaps the best sea route would be from Singapore, via the Philippines, Taiwan, Japan/South Korea to Vladivostok. Perhaps an independent trader (if such a thing still exists) may help you, but paying for the bike to be shipped all or part of the way would be my preference for both ease of travel and to avoid problems at the borders.

For the record I am now in Mexico preparing for a Pacific crossing...I miss my motorbike almost as much as I missed my boat when I was riding through the ricelands. Good luck!

PS. My motorbike a kawasaki Versys remains in mothballs in my Guesthouse in Pai, in Northern Thailand. The mountain riding up there is sensational!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: siegen

Hmm... thats what I expected. but I wanted to give it a try.

Thank you

Tags
russia