Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
Ensign

Boat size & type: NAUTICAT 521 Ketch

Embark port: South Amboy, NJ

Estimated departure (or join) date: May 20th 2009..

Arrival port & ETA (or voyage details): Almeria, Spain end of June 2009..

Number of other crew aboard (Skipperplus): 4..

Crew qualifications required and duties: experienced crew..

Cost to join vessel and repatriation is paid by: Crew must provide own flight..

Estimated equal-share contribution to food/drinks: (Per person, per day) = 1$US.

Note: No contribution towards any other costs (fuel, propane, fees, marinas, etc.) is required from crew.

More info

I am the owner of a S&S Nauticat 521 ketch rigged.

after 2 years of extensive refit I am planning an Atlantic crossing from South Amboy NJ to Almeria, southern coast of Spain. Trip would be divided in 3 legs, US -Azores, Azores-Gibraltar, Gibraltar- Almeria.

Please send info and portion of trip you might be interested in.

Thanks

Rob Gavagnin

SV ZARA

e mail robertogavagnin@tiscali.it

ph =39 348 8561114

Old 01-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Ensign

Hello, my name is Weston Lynch, I am looking for a position as a deckhand during a trans-atlantic voyage. My dates fit the dates you would like to travel. I need to be in Istanbul by July 12 at the latest for a wedding, but that should be no problem.

A little bit about myself:

I have work experience in both painting and construction, and have extensive hospitality experience from working in fine dining and hotels. I am a hard worker who loves a good challenge, and am always looking for something new to experience and interesting people to meet. I speak English fluently, Spanish conversationally, and am currently learning Turkish. I grew up learning how to manage small sailboats and catamarans (hobiecats), and have a real love for sailing. I enjoy cooking a great deal, and have had a job working at a camp as head cook, but cooking gourmet food is not my specialty. As I was in the Boyscouts, I have experience with knots, although they will need to be refreshed. Although I have never experienced an extended trip on a sailboat, I believe I would enjoy it immensely.

I will have just graduated college in May and am hoping to spend some time, possibly years, working abroad teaching English and maybe working for peace in Israel/Palestine (although I dont really know how to go about this yet). Whatever I do, I know that the place I feel most at home is in unfamiliar surroundings and amongst challenges, even though they may be hard at the time.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. I will send a CV and picture upon request, and a phone interview is very doable.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi,

I just sent you an email. I am very interested!

Michael
Old 02-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Ensign

Hello Rob,

My name is Dan, I have several months of blue-water cruising experience [Central to South America, as well as CA Coast] and several years of commercial fishing experience [both coasts of America]. I'm 37, friendly, non-smoker, world traveler, hard worker, learn new skills very quickly, educated and well mannered, good sense of humor, able to share tight spaces comfortably, know when to be entertaining and when to be quiet, and I'm very good at defusing tension [including with border officials of third world countries]. I can sit long watches, all night if necessary, but my main asset on board is my ingenuity: while 500 miles out on a quickly deteriorating yacht owned by a drunk and incompetant skipper I essentially taught myself to sail and repaired a snapped forestay [temporarily], learned about diesel engines and made repairs by manufacturing parts and tools with what was on hand, and much much more [long long story, of course]. On that trip I learned the important lesson of choosing a good skipper, and I've since learned about sailing from more competent people.

I've just finished up a construction project and now I'm looking for slow passage to Europe this spring/summer. I'm looking forward to the space and silence of the open ocean, but also the friendships gained through such experiences. I speak some Spanish, basically conversational, certainly enough to stay out of trouble.

There's a chance I might be in New York next month, so it could be a good chance to meet if you're interested in having me aboard.

hope to hear from you

take care

Dan
Old 02-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Ensign

Hi Dan,

thanks for your e mail.

Please send me your e mail address so I can establish a direct contact. I will be happy to meet you in NY sometime before ZARA's departure.

Thanks

Cheers

Rob
Old 02-26-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
Ensign

Hi Rob,

I am a 27 year old with some sailing experience. I have been sailing and racing small boats (Flying Scots, Interlakes) for the past 3 years, and have been crewing on 36-44 ft boats in regattas in Michigan.

I live in Detroit, but am currently in New York for work (through April). I would love to talk more about potentially joining your crew! You can reach me at jlscha at hotmail dot com.

Thanks!!

Jamie
Old 02-28-2009, 03:33 AM   #7
Ensign

Hi,

I am an experienced blue water sailor and am interested in making the crossing from the US to Spain. Please see my resume at:

http://www.jackslife.us/ASAInfo/

If interested, please drop me a line.

Thanks....

Jack
Old 03-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
Ensign

Hello Rob,

We are T and Jessi, 28 and 25 year old adventurers, we are happy and friendly people who get along easily with others. We have just seen your ad on cruiserslog.com and we’re very excited! T has been coastal sailing since childhood and Jessi has been eagerly trying to impress T for the last 4 years. T has sailed dinghies for his national team, headed his successful university team and sails a classic boat at club level, and Jessi has sailed in the Baltic and the Mediterranean as crew when not sailing with T in their 505.

T is a conservation scientist and Jessi is a linguist, both easy going and relaxed but tidy, methodical and hard working. We understand the demands of sailing and relish the idea an ocean crossing. We’ve been together a long time and we’re neither loved-up puppies or snapping trigger fish, just comfortable around each other in the company of others. Our other hobbies include skiing, mountain walking, wild-camping, cooking, reading, back-gammon, scuba diving.

Crossing the Atlantic is our next mission in life (T’s lifelong ambition), hopefully this summer. We are currently in Whistler skiing for the season and although the snow is very nice, we’re both itching to get back on the water. We had originally planned to stay on in British Columbia for a while but a friend has announced he’s getting married in August so..... time for a new plan -we need to be back in England by August. If you plan to be in Europe by August then we would love to crew for you. We are able to leave Whistler in May.

Hope to hear from you,

T and Jessi

teagoat@yahoo.com

jessiguida@yahoo.com
Old 03-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to J3rry

Hi Zara,

I'm currently in Colon, Panama, . . . . and would like to be back in the UK for July (July and August are my childrens school holidays) . . . . I've just sailed here from Grenada, and transited the cnal three times, so i'm not a complete noob. email if you like . . . i'm jerryskenny@googlemail.com
Old 08-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Ensign

This is to confirm that all position have been filled.

ZARA has successfully completed her 4000 miles passage, ending yesterday, aug 14th 2009 in Rome Italy.

Thanks to the crew members who made this incredible journey possible, and to all the other fellows who have been somehow part of this adventure.

Rob.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Thank you for posting the update.

Topic now closed.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Closed Thread

Tags
atlantic, atlantic crossing, crew wanted, crossing