Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
TMN
Ensign

Home Port: Manaus
Vessel Name: Muiraquitã
Default Wanted: Adventurous paddler, Western Amazon, late 2012

Not exactly crossing any oceans here, but thought I might find some interested folks here.

Trip Overview:

I'm looking for a second canoist later on this year in the Amazonas state of Brazil for an adventurous search for a natural passage between the rivers Negro and Japurá. (Sure it exists, just no idea where, exactly). From Manaus we'll head up the Amazon to the Japurá River, up the Japurá until the rapids at Cupati at the furthest, then cross the lowlands to the Negro (probably one or more portages involved) and ride the current back to Manaus.

The trip may take anywhere from two to six months, and the itenerary is felxible (for example, if we feel like stopping somewhere for two weeks, or exploring a tiny side river, then we will).

I'm leaving Manaus around Dec 2012 at the earliest. If you're in the region or are headed here and are interested in coming before Dec, I'm in Santarém right now, will be in Oriximiná and the Trombetas River for the next one or two months, and after that will probably be around the Madeira River watershed. In October I will start off in the direction of Manaus.

About Me:

Me in Santarém, Brazil
My name is Patrick, I'm twenty-two years old, and I have been a traveller in South America for around three years. I have floated through the rainforest on a homemade raft for hundreds of kilometres and paddled my canoe (called the Muiraquitã) for many hundreds more. I survive mostly by fishing and playing music. I am from Texas.

Who I'm looking for:

I don't care about your age, race, gender, or sexuality. All I ask is that you are adventurous, fearless, in good physical shape, and have plenty of endurance. Vacation seekers need not apply. This is an expedition, and you will face danger and discomfort. Most of the time you will have to paddle all day through rain and blistering sun. You will endure mosquitos and other biting insects, and receive cuts and scrapes on a daily basis.

NO WHINING ALLOWED. If we've no food, saying "I'm hungry" every few minutes helps nothing and pisses me off. If you're tired, let me know at the end of the day and I'll agree with you, but please don't moan about being tired all day on the water. We'll take breaks every few hours, you'll learn to look foreward to them.

What you'll need:

You'll have to buy your own canoe ($200-$500 reais, or US$100-$300, depending on size and how new it is). I've got you covered with cooking implements, fishing gear. Bring long pants, boots, mosquito netting, a hammock, a rain tarp, a hat, and sunscreen. Get your shots. It's best if you at least have a few hundred dollars on you, but I get by mostly on fishing and so can you.

If you're American or Austrailian remember that you need a visa to enter Brazil, and know that you will probably overstay it as the limit is only six months.

Interested parties should email me two to three pages on Microsoft Word about themselves and why they think they are qualified. Please use proper grammer and spelling or I won't read it. More details about the trip on request.

Send to patrick.falterman@gmail.com

-TMN

Old 05-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome. This forum is for cruising boats seeking crew. However, your canoe trip sounds like the sort of adventure that many people looking to crew are seeking. And, I've a soft spot for lengthy canoe trips, myself

Good luck--and be sure to come back and tell us how it all went.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

Do you plan to make any kind of journal? If so, I hope you post a link. Good luck. It sounds like a great trip.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
TMN
Ensign

Thanks for permitting me to post here, I couldn't find any other vaguely appropriate places to post an ad like this on the Web except for digihitch.

Boa viagem!

-TMN

PS, going back to my ad, if you speak at lease basic Portuguese that will help your case
Old 05-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
TMN
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
Do you plan to make any kind of journal? If so, I hope you post a link. Good luck. It sounds like a great trip.
Yes, I'm going to create a new blog as soon as I get the time to sit down and write. For now my time in cities is spent working and chipping away at my endless list of supplies (seems like once I have everything bought the first thing breaks or gets stolen and the cycle begins all over again!)

-TMN
Old 05-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
Ensign

Home Port: New Smyrna Beach

Oh, to be young again.....I whitewater canoed and rafted many of the rivers in Colorado over the years..........good luck and I would love to follow along.........