Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

The smug have won...

OSLO, Norway - Former Vice President Al Gore and the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change won the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize Friday for their efforts to spread awareness of man-made climate change and lay the foundations for counteracting it.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
Ensign

OMG!!!!

I hope you are wrong as I don't have a boat yet.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

The "Peace" prize?

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
The "Peace" prize?
He joins such luminaries as Yassar Arafat, Jimmy Carter, Adolph Hitler etc.

What a joke.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
Admiral

It has truly become a joke. So sad.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:11 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

What a joke.
Fact,

Gore et al has won the Peace prize - whereas Hitler was only a nominee for a few days see :-

Richardson, Gunnar, Förtroligt and hemligt : kunglig utrikespolitik och svensk neutralitet under andra världskriget. Stockholm : Carlsson, 2007

Yasser Arafat shared the 1994 prize equally with Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Rabin.

Also agree with Lighthouse as to what climate change has to do with peace - puzzling !

George Clooney and his activism regarding the genocide in Darfur certainly merited the prize.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:43 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

What a joke.
Hitler? I can't find him mentioned.

Perhaps you (and I) don't agree with Yassar Arafat, but he was awarded it jointly with Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Rabin for their combined efforts to bring peace to the area. I didn't consider this outrageous, though in hindsight he had feet of clay and probably did not deserve it.

Jimmy Carter, in my opinion, is the most honorable and admirable of our former US presidents. He has worked tirelessly to promote peace, and has conducted his retirement years being a useful and unselfish representative of the U.S. Not for him selling his influence and presence at fundraisers for outrageous sums of money as Reagan did, for example. Jimmy Carter may not have been a particularly effective president, but he has certainly been a deservedly respected former president.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:04 AM   #8
Admiral

Hi Jeanne,

I did not mean to leave out Jimmy Carter - a man who certainly deserved the award.

Hitler was nominated by E.G.C. Brandt , Member of the Swedish parliament. This nomination was withdrawn after a few days in a letter of February 1, 1939.

Richard
Old 10-13-2007, 05:32 AM   #9
Admiral

I realy enjoy Cruiser Log Forum because, although cruising is the red thread of the Forum, discussions concerning almost any topic can turn up. I am particularly concerned about this present, Nobel Prize, debate.

Alfred Nobel left a lot of money to be used to make awards in many fields including the Peace Prize which is the only Nobel Prize awarded in Norway and not in Sweden as all others are. He was very clear about how the award should be given, i.e. to those who made the greatest effort in reducing standing armies.

Times change I know and the standing armies of 100 years ago are just small shadows of their former selves. With very little effort the intention of Nobel, in a present day context, can be said to be to award his prize to the person making the greatest effort to reduce the fire-power of modern countries. After all, in the past the size of an army was, more or less, equivilent to its fire-power.

Giving the prize to Al Gore, or anyone else for that matter, for efforts made to reduce climate-change is not on Nobel's list. I believe the Nobel Committee has made a blunder here and one which I hope will be legally challanged.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:42 AM   #10
Wanabee

Home Port: Wirral

The committees argument for nomating Gore and the UN crowd for this prize apparently goes along the lines that climate change will effect the availability of resources such as water potentially resulting in conflict and war.

Talk about the lunatics taking over the asylum!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:46 AM   #11
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Googling 'Al Gore Nobel Prize' provides some fascinating reading. It seems, on the surface at least, that his bestowal is almost universally unpopular. Little notice should be taken of the detractors who proclaim Gore's motivation is financial, as almost all branches of scientific advance share that motivation; however, the principles raised over Gore's receipt of the NPP have a potency which is difficult to deny.

I wonder if Gore had won the court case and therefore permitted the democratic election of the president of the US, would he have been more deserved of the award through seeking a different solution to the perceived threat posed in the middle east.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:07 AM   #12
Admiral

Deep...very Deep.

I do believe you have touched on a line of thought that several of us at work have considered. That being the apparent bestowing of gifts upon Gore as if in response to some wrong doing some years back.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #13
Lieutenant

Home Port: Port Huron
Send a message via AIM to Duane2312

Lets all join hands, look to the sky and sing! We can hope that those who don't join us will be kind to us. If they're not we can always scowl at them.