Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Commander

Send a message via MSN to Qldcruiser
Default Annapolis boat show

Hey all.

Trying to convince my lovely lady that a trip to the states to visit the Annapolis boat show would be a great idea.

Unfortunately, this is being met with a fair bit of resistance, mostly pointing out to me that the next holiday would be not about boats and more importantly to Her, that it would involve Tuscany.

Any of you wonderful people got some ideas of how I can sell this idea with other tack ons because I am truly stumped. And while I do want to visit Italy again, the draw of a major boat show like Annapolis seems to good to pass up. And maybe the chance to meet some of you guys would be good too. Often feel a little isolated down under.

cheers
Rob and Annette

Old 12-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Oh, my, I'm not useful to you on this one. I'd come to the USA to visit any number of things including the cruising grounds of Maine on the East Coast or the San Juan Islands (in Washington state) on the West. You could charter or do B&B's while getting out on some of the day sails.

However, I'd be hard pressed to come to the US simply to visit a boat show.

We, for 13 years, lived in Washington DC (one hour drive from Annapolis, MD) and NEVER went to the boat show. We really don't like boat shows. We love boats--just not boat shows.

Don't tell your wife.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa
Default All roads lead to Rome

Divide and conquer. All roads lead to Rome so perhaps you can convince her to take the scenic road via Annapolis? Just saying it's an idea, not necessarily a good idea. ( BTW: ice may work well on that lump you may get growing out the side of your head from my advice )
Old 12-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
Admiral

How about a 'round the world adventure? Don't know if the airlines still offer them, but if so, you could get to Tuscany after exploring some of the best of Chesapeake Bay, then the boat show - last day or last two days - bring an extra suitcase for the bargains you can usually find on the last day of the show.

Washington, DC

Read James Michener's book Cheasapeake - one of the most accurate of his books, and worth a read before arriving.

It's a wonderful sailboat show most years, and Annapolis is a lovely city.
Upscale restaurant, Severn Inn: Severn Inn | Annapolis Waterfront Dining

O'Leary's: Olearys Seafood - Seafood Restaurant in Annapolis, MD Seafood Restaurants
Boatyard Bar & Grill - fun - couldn't find a web site.

The scale is smaller than Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, FL, set in a lovely bay. If you can convince her, book early - nothing wrong with a cheap motel.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Commander

Send a message via MSN to Qldcruiser

I am gobsmacked at that food. It would be worth the journey just to partake of their menu's.

I am trying to be casual in my persuading and not rush her, though these menu's might help her along.

It would be a trip of a lifetime. Without being insulting, this is the only part of the states that I really wish to visit. Mostly because the history fascinates me.

thanks girls for your input. Now to be the perfect husband
Old 12-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

This history in the mid-Atlantic is outstanding. From Philadelphia, PA down to Williamsburg, VA there are so very many things for you to do and see. Amazing place. For a cruiser, the region is awesome as well. Well, let me qualify that--for a cruiser with a shallow draft boat! It's a wonderful place and I hope you find a way to get there.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
Rear Admiral

After 3 blue waters, a twelve month coastal cruise from Perth to Cairns and the last couple of months cruising around the Whitsundays I was reminded that over the last 6 years we've spent more time afloat than on dry land and perhaps it would be nice to have our next break somewhere that did not involve a Lewmar winch, auto helm or having to reef the main. A typical male, I naturally responded by pointing out that we did spend one Saturday last month on land when we went for a small day hike up into the hills. (said with tongue firmly in cheek) So now I'm saying hi from Hobart Tasmania at the beginning of a three week tour of the Apple Isle in a camper van. We're going to do all the arty, winery, mountain hiking and river kayaking we can squeeze in and we're both really looking forward to our land based adventure while Mico rests in her pen and awaits a new set of sails for the new year.

....that's right after we finish a couple of days touring of the Hobart wharfs, boat yards, chandlery and a cruise of on Derwent in a square rigger! It's all about striking a balance (my wife just looked over my shoulder at what I've written from our hotel room and I now find I'm now committed to also visiting a Berry Farm!

Fair winds

Mico
Old 12-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
Rear Admiral

Default I'm pleading the 5th

Oh - as a small footnote to my last post - it's just been pointed out to me that when my better half took me into Mountain Design last week for a new pair of hiking boots (in preparation for our Tassie tour) the first question I asked the salesperson was not about 'ankle support', 'toe protection' or 'hiking comfort' - but rather 'Did they have any that came with a white sole, as I had just repainted the deck!

Perhaps that says it all, apart from the fact that my wife now wants Annette's mobile number as she believes that the girls should go to Tuscany while you and I do the boat show!

Fair winds
Old 12-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: Palm Beach

Funny sequence of posts. I am a newbie here so this is like a parachute jump. I have landed.

I shall speak to the question of the thread:

"Trying to convince my lovely lady that a trip to the states to visit the Annapolis boat show would be a great idea."

Here is my advice:
Explain that this time of year is wonderful around DC. There is awesome shopping, food and entertainment + beautiful scenery. Middleburg VA or the Eastern Shore. Fabulous Hotels. Check Priceline or if you want to totally blow her mind check THE INN AT PERRY CABIN. Go to St. Michaels or other lovely historic American places.

Yes, boat shows are hectic but she can explore this most alluring town while you feed your desire to understand the more esoteric theories of underwater design. Perfect! Make it a whirlwind visit. Meet for lunch somewhere. Then go to Perry Cabin - believe me - the next day, she will give you another 5 hours at the show-then off to Saks!!!