Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
Ensign

I was part of a 5 man delivery crew in April helping to deliver a 42ft Jenneau from Grand Canaria to Dartmouth,the skipper and his 1st mate were both yacht masters and yachting instructors,the third guy had limited experience but was easy going,the fourth guy an Australian was 31 and also a yacht master who worked in the Med skippering a big motor yacht for some rich lady (so he said),to put it bluntly this Aussie guy was a complete a**hole,he was loud ,domineering,arrogant and very pushy,he may not have known it but he was doing his best to spoil the trip for everyone else,I would have prefered to have a complete novice on board rather than put up with him.I suppose my point is this,no matter how good a sailor he was and he was a good sailor mind,I would rather have been a man short or had another crew member who was totally useless rather than have to suffer this guys annoying ways,as it turned out he jumped ship in Portugal after 10 days and everyone was relieved apart from the skipper who had forked out this guys air fare from Gibraltar to join the yacht.I guess no amount of experience and skill can make up for being a difficult person to crew with.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

It takes all kinds! Give me a happy neophyte rather than an angry expert any day of the week. Sounds like this bloke might have been one of the ones we rejected. I hope the trip had a successful conclusion after he shot through.

Best wishes

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi David,yes the trip was just great after he left,it ended up with 3 of us in the end as the other guy had to leave earlier on aswell because of business reasons,we had some good runs ashore and delivered the yacht to Dartmouth intact and all went our seperate ways on good terms,it turned out one of the best trips I have been on actually.I crewed on a yacht across the Atlantic once and we had this 55 year old English guy who was absolutley useless,he got seasick all the time and even had his arm in a sling for about 4 weeks after he damaged his elbow,but because he was such a nice guy and always cheerfull none of that mattered,I can live with that,angry experts as you say, I can`t.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:59 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

Maybe he ate Vegemite?

OH! You say he was an Australian Mate.

Well than, maybe he did not have his recommended daily allowance of Vegemite?

David, what do you think, could that have done it; a Vegemite deficiency?

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #5
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

It may have been Jeff. Unfortunately we have our share of ratbags in Oz, this bloke was obviously one of them. The interesting thing is that here in Oz he would not have behaved in such a way for fear of the consequences.

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Ensign

Looking back it was quite comical really, the skippers mate was about 50 years old and a yachting instructor and has probably forgotten more than this guy knows,yet Aussie was trying to tell him what to do and always trying to catch him out on things and the skipper himself who was trying to teach this guy how to use a sextant had a hard time because Aussie kept questioning everything he was trying to tell him,it was as if he was so clever that nobody could possibly teach him anything.he was a knightmare on night watches,he would make so much noise, talking loudly ,slamming cupboard doors shut and just generally being loud that it was quite hard to sleep for the ones off watch.Mind you we did have a very good drinking session when he left.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:50 PM   #7
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
It may have been Jeff. Unfortunately we have our share of ratbags in Oz, this bloke was obviously one of them. The interesting thing is that here in Oz he would not have behaved in such a way for fear of the consequences.

David
David,

In this case the "ratbag" was of one country's orign, which happened to be yours. Ratbags span the globe, originate and exist, from most every where, with no defined boundries.

THEY are what they are.

They come from everywhere, of all classes, anyway one can disect the world population in to groups.

Ratbags are in a class of thier own kind.

Quote:
he would not have behaved in such a way for fear of the consequences.
Well, sometimes the normal world population, just has to point out (to ratbags) their behavoir to them; gently, or if needed more assertively. At sea, it could be, " Shape up or Ship Out."

Well in today's world, not the plank, but at next port, "You are most welcome to disembark". ....tossing the ratbags' bags onto to the nearest dock.

Jeff

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
Ensign

I dunno, the plank over the Atlantic Ridge would be mighty tempting.