Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
Zog
Ensign

Hi all,

Just wondering if there many(any) cruising or sailing DVDs or videos available? Doesn't have to be documentary style, even an adventure style film would interest me. I've been watching Alby Mangles 'World Safari' , The Bounty, the Pirates of the Caribbean series, I've got the sailing bug so bad I've even watched 'Waterworld' and I can't even sail!!

Been watching a bit of stuff on youtube as well, but the quality is generally not real good.

So what do you guys watch when you can't get on the water?

Cheers,

Dave.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:59 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

So what do you guys watch when you can't get on the water?

Cheers,

Dave.

'Dead Calm' was the one that got me motivated to buy my first cruising yacht. 'Master and Commander' is the one my wife says I now imitate when I march about our new yacht yelling - 'Mr Pullings! a few extra turns on that winch there if you may' My good wife tells me 'Mutiny on the Bounty' will be the one she'll be going for if I don't stop ordering her to swab the decks

For the life of me I cannot understand what's so wrong with asking your crew to occasionally tug their forelock briefly when they pass you on deck. I thought it was tradition?

Fair winds

Old 01-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Wanabee

Home Port: Wirral

Can't help with the DVDs but it's nice to bump into someone else from the old planet!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

Maybe not all purely about sailing and / or cruising... but a roving good seaworthy romp nevertheless.

Captains Courageous - starring Spencer Tracy, young Micky Rooney, John Caridine

Mutiny on the Bounty - starring Clark Gable

Pirates - starring Walter Mathaou (sp?)

The Bounty - Sir Anthony Hopkins & Mel Gibson

Moby Dick

Donovan's Reef

Captain Ron

Das Boot

Hunt for Red October

Crimson Tide

White Squall

The Big Blue

The Deep

Castaway

The Perfect Storm

Nim's Island - for kids

Sailing Around the Horn - filmed in 1929!

Hell in the Pacific

The Beach

Mister Roberts

Treasure Island - "Them's that Die'll be the Lucky Ones!"

Run Silent Run Deep

The Enemy Below

Secrets of the Titanic (National Geographic) because I'm in it!

Swashbuckler

The Crimson Pirate

I Cover the Waterfront

Waterworld

Men of Honor - HooYah DeepSea!

The Abyss

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Just a few of my favorites. I'll add more when I think of 'em.

A good source to purchase many of these are listed in the aft pages of Latitudes & Attitudes magazine and Barnes & Noble online.

To Life!

Kirk
Old 01-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Zog
Ensign

Thanks for the tips, gives me a few to check out. I'll get my hands on Master & Commander in the next day or two.

I read the Treasure Island book a little while back. Also just finished reading Kay Cottee's book about her circumnavigation "First Lady" as well as "I can sail circles" the book about the first guy to circumnavigate Australia single handed, can't think of his name off hand.

The "Mutiny on the Bounty" must be an older version of the one I have here which stars Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins among others.

Thanks again,

Dave.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Ensign

What about Captain Ron? Silly, but fun.

And of course there are some great documentary/instructional type DVDs out - the ones by Linn and Larry Pardy and Sheryl and Paul Shard come to mind.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:36 AM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallivanters View Post
Maybe not all purely about sailing and / or cruising... but a roving good seaworthy romp nevertheless.

........Kirk
Love all sub movies.

Love Das Boot.

Love all of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

I like Titanic a bit

Poseidon Adventure (the original one)

The Right Stuff

Victory at Sea DVDs

most good military history movies

Master and Commander

my new DVD documentary about the Morning Light Transpac race.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
Boomerang!

Home Port: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boomerang!

These are all great flicks.....but....I still have to rate (and I am not alone in this sentiment) that Cap't Ron is the greatest sailing movie of all time!! I have that on board, along with Master and Commander.

Its funny.....I was reading through some old late 80's and early 90's (really early) Cruising Worlds and Sail rags, and there used to be so much available. I read some of the books in those days when I was singlehanding down the Caribe on my Whitby back in those days....I have so many of those old mags I found in a box in my attic, and I pleasantly surprised that they were in such phenomenol condition.

And then of course, an article I read in a 1991 Sail last night, about the VAT tax instituted by our illustrious jimmy carter....the one that effectively killed the marine industry....and all of the perps (reps and senators) that were for and against.... I am thinking of sending this article to Washington to a friend in the House...as it appears our illustrious "new and improved" government seems to have such short memories, and of course, grossly totally inept in the areas of economics 101...if this persists, as they say, history tends to repeat itself....and these people obvioulsy have no sense of history...though I digress....

Point is, where have all the great actual sailing vids/documentaries gone? I have not been able to find many these days.... Does anyone remember Mike Plant who was lost all those years ago when heading across the Atlantic to France for the start of the Vendee Globe? Man, that brought back memories....I had met Mike at Newport all those years ago... And so many articles of the boat manufacturers that were so prevelant then creating beautiful and seaworthy vessels....

S/V Boomerang!

1980 Cal 39 Mark II

St Michaels, MD
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Zog
Ensign

Thanks heaps and keep em coming.

Watched "Master and Commander" yesterday, not bad, wouldn't rate it as high as "The Bounty" though, but enjoyable just the same. I've got another one here that I hired out today, but haven't watched yet, "White Squall". Also watched Alby Mangels "World Safari 2" today. Not as good as the first one as he seemed to run into bad luck everywhere he went.

I also have a copy of Jesse Martins book that he wrote after his second adventure. He sets off with a group of friends for this one, not his solo trip. Haven't started to read it yet though, I'll save that for when I go back to work

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
Ensign

Zog,

As far as we are concerned, Cap't Ron is the greatest sailing movie of all time!!

I think we have bought at least 10 copies. A couple for us and the rest as gifts for friends and family.

Then we did up a few of our own. You can see them at:

www.svguenevere.com/dvd

If you think one might be of interest, you can put in the discount code, WUTQ6RWW to get a discount (good on orders from our web pages, not from Amazon.com).

Greg

Our Home page - www.svguenevere.com
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Do check out Deep Water, fantastic documentary about the Times Round the World Race in 69..
Old 02-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
Ensign

Two other older videos that are now DVDs that sure did keep me dreaming of heading out .....

“Blue Water Odyssey” by the Driscoll family and “600 Days to Cocos Island” by Gene Evans.

I met up with Gene (who has now passed away) in La Paz Mexico. He was one great guy with wonderful stories.

Greg

Our Home page - www.svguenevere.com
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
Zog
Ensign

Watched "White Squall" tonight, not bad. A true story about a group of boys who are sent on a school boat, the 'Albatross', which is eventually lost in a storm.

I ordered 'Bluewater Odyssey' and a couple of cruising DVDs from Amazon today, be a while before I get them over here though.

Thanks again everyone.

Dave.